Toyota MR2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Toyota MR2

DemonPig

Do not cast your pearls before swine
Site Supporter
Kinda miss having an old car to work on ('65 Corvair that I sold).

Wouldn't mind having something a bit newer with more modern technology that still qualifies for Haggerty and their sweet insurance rates.

Was looking at RX-7s (1st gen) for few years now but recently noticed that MR2 (1st gen) falls into same category.

Any of you guys own one or used to? Any particular likes or dislikes? Things to look for.

So far I know that they rust pretty bad, especially fenders and rockers. Finding a rust-free one is a bit of a challenge unless I'd want to spend a ton of money.
Also read about the gear slipping in some of the earlier models.

maxresdefault.jpg

Cool car. Friend of mine had one a loooong time ago. Drivetrain is basically Corolla moved to the back of the car.

I don't remember the last time I've seen one. Finding one that not only isn't rusted out but which also hasn't been thrashed ... will be a challenge.

Supercharged models had head gasket issues I believe.
Friend of mine had one years ago and I remember him grenading 3 motors due to head gasket issues.
...he was running 20 pounds of boost though which may have compound the issue.

old Mr 2's were a great car for its time. the next generation was light years better.

Also look at the Honda CR-X Si, and old Datsun 240s.

I drove one for a year, but it was new, traded back in because it was just too small for what I needed. It reminded me of my old Fiat X-19, except it would start and run everyday.
Parts might be a challenge these days, and they sure did rust.

old Mr 2's were a great car for its time. the next generation was light years better.

Also look at the Honda CR-X Si, and old Datsun 240s.

Next gen I like but it doesn't look so unique any more, is not cheap, plus Haggerty doesn't list it.
Don't have much interest in the Honda (they are usually beaten to the ground as well), Datsun is almost impossible to find and when you do find one, the price is astronomical. Thanks for the suggestions though!

Yes, parts are getting rare but engines are still available in case of a massive failure.
I have to research the aftermarket more and see if anyone manufactures replacement parts at all.

Last edited:
I would definitely choose this over a 1st gen RX7. My buddy had a '79 years ago, it was an unreliable, maintenance nightmare.

A quick check on CDN parts sites like Wrenchmonkey shows aftermarket parts are readily available for the MR2. Dorman, Cardone, Wagner etc.

Truthaboutcars has an blog entry today on the '89 MR2. You can try searching on Jalopnik as well for any articles.

I drove one for a year, but it was new, traded back in because it was just too small for what I needed. It reminded me of my old Fiat X-19, except it would start and run everyday.
Parts might be a challenge these days, and they sure did rust.

forgot about the X-19, but yeah the MR2 looked a lot like the Fiat
both were very cool looking cars for their day, but neither were particularly fast

for the OP, unless you can find one that was not wintered, if it spent the 30 years in the north east, it will be rotten
if you could find one from the south where they didn't salt the roads it would be a great little project

wow the series I cars in good shape hold their value, this one is affordable, doesn't look too rotten

https://abetter.bid/en/22678557-1989-toyota-mr2_t-bar

Last edited:
Wouldn't mind having something a bit newer with more modern technology that still qualifies for Haggerty and their sweet insurance rates.

they must have relaxed the rules . I had a hell of a time getting classic insurance for my Rallye Golf, and it was a hell of a lot more unique / rarer than a MR2.

I am definitely not the one who understands the great minds behind insurance companies.
Sometimes they get so caught up in their formulas that common sense doesn't exist.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions guys!

I guess other than excessive rust, no major issues with these cars.
There are a few on Kijiji, I'll have to take a look at them.

Seen one for $1,500 but that will probably sell before I get to it, unless it's a mess.

They're more about handling than acceleration. They're called "Mr" for a reason. Really liked them back in the day. Nice unique car that were reliable if mostly unmolested.

you can always fetch a Fiero, guaranteed not to rust, too bad the rest of the car was crap.

If we're making suggestions go for the Renault Alpine A110. Sadly it's about 30yrs. too late for neat old sport scars unless you're J. Leno.

2nd gen (W20) MR2 or FD RX7 is the way to go right now. You can buy a decent one, have fun with it for as long as you want, and end up probably making money when you sell. And they're incredible designs. Timeless IMO, especially the FD... it still looks like it could be in dealerships 15 years later.

FD's and MK4 Supras in good condition are still extremely rare, and very expensive.
I had a line on a bone stock, LHD MK4 a couple years back and the $25k asking price was not out of line.

...and agreed. Those are 2 timeless designs that look better than most sports cars on the road today.

I am definitely not the one who understands the great minds behind insurance companies.
Sometimes they get so caught up in their formulas that common sense doesn't exist.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions guys!

I guess other than excessive rust, no major issues with these cars.
There are a few on Kijiji, I'll have to take a look at them.

Seen one for $1,500 but that will probably sell before I get to it, unless it's a mess.
Any MR-2 at $1,500 can only be worth its weight in garbage. I bet anything with a serviceable body will be over $10,000.

FD's and MK4 Supras in good condition are still extremely rare, and very expensive.
I had a line on a bone stock, LHD MK4 a couple years back and the $25k asking price was not out of line.

...and agreed. Those are 2 timeless designs that look better than most sports cars on the road today.

MKIV Supra is on a completely different level than an FD. You can find a clean FD for 20k. You can't find a clean MKIV TT anywhere under 40-50k now.

Any MR-2 at $1,500 can only be worth its weight in garbage. I bet anything with a serviceable body will be over $10,000.

Not the first gen. They are quite cheap, aside from the turbo model.
But yes, $1,500 one is probably junk.

As for 3rd gen RX7, that's for a much thicker wallet than I have.
2nd gen MR2 is better but not listed on Haggerty. I'd have to give them a call and see if they would consider it a classic.

2nd gen MR2 is better but not listed on Haggerty. I'd have to give them a call and see if they would consider it a classic.

They will, no question about it. The online lists are useless.

Back
Top Bottom