Favorite Roads/Routes | GTAMotorcycle.com

Favorite Roads/Routes

DucatiDan

Looking to compile a list of roads in the GTA and day-trip range areas to add some variety to my riding this season. What are your favorite roads or routes? If you're a "my route is secret and I'm not sharing" rider then good for you, move along & have a good day.

I use the iPhone app "Greatest Road" to keep track of my stuff. My username on there is Dan112358 if you have it. Not sure if it's available for android.

My current favs are Northeys Bay Rd, 507 (getting pretty beat up though) and some stuff in the Kawarthas. Really interested in areas west of Toronto and the Niagara region.

look up ride the highlands and request a free map.

if you are looking in the mississauga milton area then check out lower base road.

PA.

Once you leave Ontario you realize every road here blows.

i dunno....if you go from toronto to niagara on the QEW theres a corner near hamilton....pretty sweet

Last edited:
What sort of surface strata are we looking at? Side Road 15 out of Moffat has a nice variety plus curves, dips, curvy dips and escape routes. Watch out for the fuzz. That's cops, not stratum.

really depends what sort of riding OP wants to do....if he's a cruiser guy that likes straight/flat roads the 519 will be great,
I'm guessing because he has Ducati in his nic that likely is not his thing.....

west, north west and south west of GTA are not inspiring areas for motorcycle riding,
great for getting a nice flat spot on your rear tire

will agree with the comment about Ride the Highlands,
lots of routes that you could get to the start of in a few hours,
but if you live in the GTA would make better weekend trips

further away, but hands down my fave road in the area is Quebec HWY 101,
get on it east of North Bay and go north for a few hours,
twisties and sweepers, hills, fantastic views, great pavement and little traffic,
easily cruise at 150 for extended periods without safety or law enforcement concerns

can head west from Rouyn back into Ontario and the road continues to be 101,
all the way to Wawa, still a nice road, but you have to back off a bit or face the
rath of Ontario's army of occupation, from there south to Manitoulin, then take the ferry
to Bruce Peninsula and then south back to GTA....def not a day ride, but a hell of a trip

Last edited:
really depends what sort of riding OP wants to do....if he's a cruiser guy that likes straight/flat roads the 519 will be great,
I'm guessing because he has Ducati in his nic that likely is not his thing.....

west, north west and south west of GTA are not inspiring areas for motorcycle riding,
great for getting a nice flat spot on your rear tire

will agree with the comment about Ride the Highlands,
lots of routes that you could get to the start of in a few hours,
but if you live in the GTA would make better weekend trips

further away, but hands down my fave road in the area is Quebec HWY 101,
get on it east of North Bay and go north for a few hours,
twisties and sweepers, hills, fantastic views, great pavement and little traffic,
easily cruise at 150 for extended periods without safety or law enforcement concerns

can head west from Rouyn back into Ontario and the road continues to be 101,
all the way to Wawa, still a nice road, but you have to back off a bit or face the
rath of Ontario's army of occupation, from there south to Manitoulin, then take the ferry
to Bruce Peninsula and then south back to GTA....def not a day ride, but a hell of a trip

good lord man! all this after dinner?

army of occupation:lmao:

http://www.tyretotravel.com/
Found this after I bought a Tomtom rider. They are the official partner of Tomtom, I got an activation code after registered my GPS with Tomtom.It is a computer software which is able to import route to GPS from their database. It seems it support Garmin as well. I found a load of routes in Europe, not much in Canada. Since I didn't have time actually try it, can't give a review at this moment.

they have an APP also, http://www.myrouteapp.com/en

Share some links I use:

http://ontario.bikerides.ca/

https://rever.co/ - a route tracking APP has sponsored challenges.

Really interested in areas west of Toronto and the Niagara region.

see sticky in touring section

Sticky: http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforu...s-in-Ontario-Quebec-U-S&p=1198209#post1198209

I have been on many rides in the west GTA area and there are certainly some decent roads which make for a pretty fun day trip without needing to do a 800km day from the GTA. Most of the roads I have put up in the sticky are about 7-800km round trip from the GTA and even though I didn't put anything in the sticky about roads in the Niagara and West Toronto region, I would be happy to add a bunch of those roads to the sticky if people want to chime in this thread about which roads they like there and why.

I also will add a section on the Kingston area roads because there are some sweet ones out there too.

I also really like PA, but don't think it really qualifies as a day trip for most of the folks on here, especially if you are an hour or more away from the border. I've done PA a few times as a day trip and it involved closer to 1000km or more - which is fine for some people including myself, but maybe a bit more than most would go for. There is a thread in the cruising/touring section which has a bunch of the better PA, WV, VA, NC and TN roads mapped out, but I still have to add in NY, VT, NH, ME, GA, OH, KY and some others.

Just head for the escarpment and follow above or below or zig zag between.

It a bit of a chore to find a route that doesn't require a little inconvenience of either riding through a little town with stop lights or some traffic.

Some roads a nice but it depends on the day of the week or even the time of day.

Ridge road, Hwy 81, Niagara Parkway.

Good for sight seeing but not for knee dragging.

Once at the falls or Fort Eric, make your way to the Font Hill area and explore Effingham St or some other area roads.

Locals don't care much for the weekend warriors but, you can bomb around and find some wineries and fruit stands during the right time of year.

So close to the border, making the trip to PA is fairly easy. Again, weekday makes for short lines at the crossings and light traffic down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shane has most of the great Ontario roads in his thread.
Sticky: http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...09#post1198209

The "Greatest Road App" is pretty neat, and I have listed several roads there, however what really ticks me off is that you cannot edit a route once you have posted it.

The other issues is that the search does not always show the routes consistently, even when I know they are there.

This app works well for those who are willing to use their phone as a NAV as I do in a car but not on my bike as there is no easy way to export the route to your GPS.

shanekingsley that map in your signature is amazing. More people\places need something cool like that.

If I'm traveling i like
motorcycleroads.com it doesn't have everything but its got quite a bit. I have to agree with the whole leaving Canada to find good roads, as far as I'm aware our best road(s) don't come close to most individual states best road.

just go north of GTA, find some side roads and go have fun.

there is a back way into base borden and all the roads are big sweepers.
another one i like is taking king into bolton.

Highway 509 is really nice.

As for riding to PA... do you guys think Trump's crackdown on cross border traffic will make riding to the US much more difficult? There are already stories of Canadian citizens being held at the border for hours then being told they can't enter the US without a visa.

Crossed the border to pick up a windshield for the hog. No issues. But, I live near the border, cross fairly often. And I'm white, ride an American made motorcycle. I'm pretty much American.

I didn't yell out trump sucks donkey balls.

Coming back, Canadian Agent waive me through without paying the tax.

I think if you just answer their questions, you won't have much trouble.

Riding down to PA to check some roads. Abide the laws and come back.

The only thing making me question crossing over is the poor exchange rate. Not the trump factor.

I'd just avoid mentioning anything political. If asks, remain neutral and don't joke or make light of anything. Just be respectful.

Honestly, folks get turned away before trump was prez and for the same stuff. Just didn't make the news.

As for riding to PA... do you guys think Trump's crackdown on cross border traffic will make riding to the US much more difficult? There are already stories of Canadian citizens being held at the border for hours then being told they can't enter the US without a visa.
I'm hoping that just showing up on a bike will be enough to not have any hassle. It seems like whenever I cross on the bike it's super smooth and fast. By plane or car and it's always more questions and lube.

Back
Top Bottom