Over 25 with M1/M2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Over 25 with M1/M2

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to make a thread talking about riders over the age of 25, who just got their M1/M2. If you fit into this category, or if you remember when you did, what bike were you riding and what were your insurance rates? I'm personally looking at buying a 2017 Yamaha WR250R, but am getting quite a wide range of estimates online, so I'm thinking that they're pretty inaccurate. I've been quoted as low as $600/year all the way up to $3500/year. So share your experiences!

Last edited:
I don't quite understand what you're trying to get at. Take the lowest one that offers the coverage you want , and go with it. If 600 is good for your budget then there's really nothing more to ask for. This has been covered dozens of times.

Mine was $223 / year but that was well over a decade ago.

That was articulated in my opening sentence when I stated, "I just wanted to make a thread talking about riders over the age of 25, who just got their M1/M2.". A sub purpose to this thread could be myself getting acquainted with others on this forum, if my initial intention doesn't satisfy your your standards for relevance. I had also mention that " am getting quite a wide range of estimates online, so I'm thinking that they're pretty inaccurate", which was meant to display the lack of legitimacy from simply applying for online insurance quotes. What we're left with here is the question, "what are you tring to get at"? I'm not sure how your post has been constructive to either myself, or other new riders that are getting ready to start the season. I appreciate your enlightening me with regards to the repetition of this post, but I'm fairly certain that any person, who has participated on any forum, is aware that this does happen. I do thank you for your response and hope that you're able to get back on your bike as soon as possible this summer! Good luck!

From what I have seen and heard, online quotes don't mean Jack....

pick a bike, call the companies, agents, brokers and get a quote, once you find the one you like, take it

a lot will do with your age, your bike, your history, your postal code, your financial situation, see where this is going.....if not, in simple terms, it's all got to do with you, and not anyone else, heck even your neighbour will be different, possibly even your brother or sister if you have one.

there are other places on this forum if your looking for friends, riders, etc.....

hope this helps, if not carry on

Thank you for the valuable information GateKeeper! I'm more just looking for bikes and rates here though. A concise thread with solid information would be a great tool to form a marketplace study for any beginner. Baggsy nailed it!

Ok, I'll appease you

i pay 600 for my 1200, and pay 400 for my 750, currently, back when I was 25 unfortunately I don't remember but it wasn't much, mind you that was ohhh about 25 years ago,,,,not sure how much this will help you, but there ya go.

ohh and 25 years ago it was a 750 as well just a different brand from the one I have today, sold it last year....but you can see them in my sig line

Last edited:
Echoing that online quotes are a waste of time except for a super vague idea of "whether bike A cheaper to insure than bike B".

Definitely sort the insurance forum by date and look for the brokers/agents with lots of referrals who will almost certainly be able to provide a lower price after you include all the professional discounts and multi-line discounts.

First bike/M2 was at 25, and I was paying ... (iirc) $900-1000 for liability only on a 2M policy for a 2007 ex500.

I was 26, just got my M2. G License for over 5 years and clean driving record. Paid about $960/year for a 2009 Ninja 250. I think I had everything but the collision, so just fire and theft added.

1 year later I'm paying $2000/year for an Fz6r.

my friend is 25 with m1 and getting m2 in april
he bought a 2017 honda cbr500r and his insurance is 184$/month full coverage and will probably drop when he finishes his riding course and gets his m2 + certificate in april.

25 years old
M2
Had a ninja 250 for one year in 2015
Sold that and got an FZ6
$1800/year first year
$1550/year second year
$1252/year third year (turned 25 and renewing tomorrow and switching to TD)

I was almost 55 when I started. Had purchased a '74 CB200t and it cost me about $300 for the year down here in Kingston. Got a '83 CM250C two years later (with only 815 km on the clock) and it was similarly priced. These were with Jevco and when they got bought up the price jumped to about $700 for one bike. I should have sold the CB then, but I kept it and after storing it outside for a year under a cover it has never run properly since. Now I've also got a V45 Magna that I need to get safetied. I don't know what that will cost, but I don't imagine it'll be that bad for insurance. L

M2 on an '02 sv650s, liability and comprehensive coverage. Premium was around $1200 last year and dropped to around $950 this year.

28, M2
First Year $1800/yr full coverage 2015 Honda CBR300
Second Year $914/yr full coverage 2016 Yamaha R3

I am 33, new rider, clean record with G driving license and new M2 got quotes for 2015 R3 and 2015 ninja 300 with Abs best rate so far after talking to 3 brokers was around 1k for full coverage. Where did you get your 700 per year rate?

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to make a thread talking about riders over the age of 25, who just got their M1/M2. If you fit into this category, or if you remember when you did, what bike were you riding and what were your insurance rates? I'm personally looking at buying a 2017 Yamaha WR250R, but am getting quite a wide range of estimates online, so I'm thinking that they're pretty inaccurate. I've been quoted as low as $600/year all the way up to $3500/year. So share your experiences!
I have an older wr with only third party liabilty

If tht $600 is full comprehensive ( which I'm guessing it is since it's a 2017) .. Then you are right on target

Im with The Personal

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

2012 Kawi Ninja 250r
Riding since 2013
Full M last year in August

Got quoted $650/year with 1 ticket on record (almost 3 years ago, minor) from TD MM.

Back
Top Bottom