Frame sliders and loctite | GTAMotorcycle.com

Frame sliders and loctite

esphoto

Who uses loctite on their frame slider bolts? Never had to deal with it on my first and previous bike since there were no frame slider options but picked up a set of Woodcraft's for the new bike to protect it from any minor drops and mishaps.

Woodcraft instructions say to use anitseize but keep seeing on many forums that many people put a dab of loctite on. I guess my concern is that wet torque is different than dry torque and don't want to strip or screw anything up when I torque it down since the bolt is a motor mount bolt.

I have to crack the service manual open and see if Yamaha specifies anything for that bolt but wanted to get some of your thoughts.

Whatever the factory service manual says. Depends on the bike of course, but most of the common Yamahas do not have anything added to their engine mount bolts.

That's what I was thinking. If they didn't use anything from the factory then using the correct torque spec should be good enough.

is it possible that woodcraft uses an alloy in there sliders that an antiseize would isolate for? anything with stainless steel vs. aluminum?

Loctite never had a problem, I have Woodcraft sliders I use loctite on almost everything when I can

Its a 10mm bolt normally, using locite or not isnt going to make a big enough difference in torque setting to strip the threads IMO

Id be more worried about what kind of torque wrench your using, as I have recently seen a comparison where they tested different brand torque wrench's, and a Harbor Freight torque wrench was constantly 10lbs over torquing at 50ft/lbs setting.

If your really worried about it you should be able to find a conversion or percentage for wet vs dry torquing

Something like this
"The Loctite people recommend reducing applied torque by 20 percent from dry values when using their liquid thread-locking compounds on threaded fasteners"

Last edited:
If that bolt is not going to be removed - ie. its something that would not get serviced often.
Then a dab of antiseize won't hurt.

if you are going to be removing that bolt several time in the life of the bike - use thread locker.

Always air on the safer size and use locktite!

If that bolt is not going to be removed - ie. its something that would not get serviced often.
Then a dab of antiseize won't hurt.

if you are going to be removing that bolt several time in the life of the bike - use thread locker.

Always air on the safer size and use locktite!

Isn't this backwards?

don't think I'd use ant-seize in a vibration area...
loctite is a good idea, will keep the rust out as well as keep the bolt from loosening,
medium strength blue is fine, red is over-kill

Isn't this backwards?

yes and no.

Use locktite to air on the side of caution.

If there is going to be fastner that will be a spot for an
extended period of time, and there a high chance of galvanic
or/and regular corrosion - use anti-seize- it would help from seizing up.

Usually frame ssliderbolts go into motor mount bolts,
add the heat just increased the corrosion factor increases.

But those bolts are large diameter, so they are usually easy to take off.

don't think I'd use ant-seize in a vibration area...
loctite is a good idea, will keep the rust out as well as keep the bolt from loosening,
medium strength blue is fine, red is over-kill

for that reason - its best to use blue thread locker!

Thanks for the input frekeyguy. I certainly hope this bolt will be staying put for a while, the slider uses a motor mount bolt. Can't hurt to add a dab of blue loctite as a safe guard I guess.

one other possible concern dude, the bolt.....sliders usually come with a bolt as it has to be longer,
I'd look carefully at the bolt to see it's the same hardness, cheapo off-shore stuff can be packaged
with swing-set hardware, and the markings on the bolt can be faked, if you suspect the quality of the
hardware, seeing as this is also an engine mount, I'd source some quality bolts locally

one other possible concern dude, the bolt.....sliders usually come with a bolt as it has to be longer,
I'd look carefully at the bolt to see it's the same hardness, cheapo off-shore stuff can be packaged
with swing-set hardware, and the markings on the bolt can be faked, if you suspect the quality of the
hardware, seeing as this is also an engine mount, I'd source some quality bolts locally

Totally understand the concern and is one of the reasons I went with Woodcraft instead of some no name or random company.

Totally understand the concern and is one of the reasons I went with Woodcraft instead of some no name or random company.
another good tip - check them from after sometime to ensure they are still tight....

I've had woodcraft's on three bikes, no loctite,anti seize, no issues.

ThAt said a little loctite can't hurt

I used blue loctite on mine...didn't use a lot, but used a little as an added safety precaution, especially given mine use the engine mount bolts (so lots of vibration in that area).

Back
Top Bottom