2009 ZX6R Rectifier/Receiver/Stator Coil | GTAMotorcycle.com

2009 ZX6R Rectifier/Receiver/Stator Coil

TiburonJA

Hello guys,

I have never really done much work on my bike before... Aside from the usual brakes and oil and filters and stuff. So something like this seems a little daunting from the sound of it, just looking to get some opinions.

I do know that for this particular year and model there is a factory recall or smth but it has already been done, meaning I either do it myself or pay a mechanic to do it. I've been quoted smth close to 1K for parts and labour so I figured why not try and save a bit of money and do it myself.

For the time being I haven't been able to identify what the exact problem is 100% but basically the bike isn't charging properly while running. Left me stranded before winter and I had to get towed home. Recharged the battery and the bike turned on again so the battery wasn't the problem, checked the voltage and indeed the bike isn't charging properly while on.

So how would one go about doing this? First thing I guess would be to check the stator coils (is this difficult to replace if needed?) and if the coils are burnt out, that can't be the only problem right? The rectifier and receiver would have to be changed regardless I'm assuming. I guess basically just looking for any type of insight on what's ahead if I decide to do this myself... or if you guys even advise trying to do this myself or whether this is a job for the mechanic. Or whether I should buy specific brand or brands to stay away from.

Thanks for any replies, it's much appreciated and forgive my ignorance.

Cheers!

Hello guys,

I have never really done much work on my bike before... Aside from the usual brakes and oil and filters and stuff. So something like this seems a little daunting from the sound of it, just looking to get some opinions.

I do know that for this particular year and model there is a factory recall or smth but it has already been done, meaning I either do it myself or pay a mechanic to do it. I've been quoted smth close to 1K for parts and labour so I figured why not try and save a bit of money and do it myself.

For the time being I haven't been able to identify what the exact problem is 100% but basically the bike isn't charging properly while running. Left me stranded before winter and I had to get towed home. Recharged the battery and the bike turned on again so the battery wasn't the problem, checked the voltage and indeed the bike isn't charging properly while on.

So how would one go about doing this? First thing I guess would be to check the stator coils (is this difficult to replace if needed?) and if the coils are burnt out, that can't be the only problem right? The rectifier and receiver would have to be changed regardless I'm assuming. I guess basically just looking for any type of insight on what's ahead if I decide to do this myself... or if you guys even advise trying to do this myself or whether this is a job for the mechanic. Or whether I should buy specific brand or brands to stay away from.

Thanks for any replies, it's much appreciated and forgive my ignorance.

Cheers!

Been through this on your bike 20 times

If the stator coil is bad you should be able to see it with a visual inspection, remove your stator cover and look at the stator coil wiring, if its gone bad you will see obvious signs of burning on the coating on the wires

At a dealer $1000 is about right, I have done it for much cheaper using used parts or just not charging people dealer shop rates for the work

Rectifier is roughly $150 brand new, and a stator coil was roughly $350-400 last time I had to buy one

This will give you an idea what a burnt stator looks like
https://www.google.ca/search?q=burn...ved=0ahUKEwj436O2kMPSAhUJ2oMKHbbICREQ_AUIBigB

Last edited:
Get the service manual and buy a multimeter and walk through the diagnostic tests for the stator, rectifier and battery. The manual was available on the zx6r forum a couple of years ago or pm me your email address. Buy a cheap 10 buck meter from parts source or crappy tire. I would suggest you identify the issue before pulling things apart. I had the stator go on my 2011 but the rectifier and battery were fine.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, definitely helping me head in the right direction.

Much appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom