lessons learned the hard way | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

lessons learned the hard way

After you crash you need to re-tech your bike and see the medics or you can and will be disqualified even if it's your first win.

Dont try and get that last session out of your tires, you'll crash even if your "taking it easy".

Don't try and save money rebuilding your motor, you'll have to do it again and it'll cost more the second time.

Tires don't reduce their wear rate to make change times more convenient for you.

Buy a tire temperature gun.
Use a tire temperature gun before you go on track every time.
Check your pressures

and the #1 lesson I was too stupid to observe on my first race season is.... Setup your suspension.

THIS. Time spent at track days testing suspension and adjusting settings and testing (and so on...) is time well spent. Keep a log book with settings that work, so next time you return you can reset your suspension to what was working for you previously - as a baseline.

On top of rider development, increased confidence and faster lap times, money spent on suspension setup is money saved on tires. A poor setup bike absolutely shreds tires.

Never push more than 100% trying to follow someone a lot faster than you, it won't end well. lol.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

+1

Related to this: respect your personal physical and mental limits. Pushing past them always leads to mistakes, and if you're the type that beats yourself up for mistakes, that's a never ending chain leading to a crash.

油井緋色;2481041 said:
+1

Related to this: respect your personal physical and mental limits. Pushing past them always leads to mistakes, and if you're the type that beats yourself up for mistakes, that's a never ending chain leading to a crash.

Going out of your comfort zone will make you faster. This needs to be done in small steps or you will most likely crash.

Forgetting to set the tire pressure after rushing and installing new rubber just before big race.

Going out of your comfort zone will make you faster. This needs to be done in small steps or you will most likely crash.
I agree. I think we're talking about the same thing. I was referring more so to "hard limits". For example, we can only go 100% at anything for so long before our mental or physical capacities start diminishing.

- If you aren't having fun, stop for the day.
- Check, double check, check again
- Write everything down
- Don't try to remember your grid position, write in on the bike
- Check your grid spot before 3rd call
- Leave the AC on in your trailer so that your competitors sit in your trailer and have to start from pit row because they missed 3rd call.

Plug a radio or light into your genny so you know if/when it runs out of fuel while you're busy doing everything else that needs to be done. (for the quiet ones anyway).
Nothing worse than to realize you have 10 min to track and warmers have been OFF for who knows how long.

Back
Top Bottom