lessons learned the hard way | GTAMotorcycle.com

lessons learned the hard way

mbroyda

while we are all waiting for the season to start I thought it would be fun to share some of the lessons you guys and gals learned the hard way on the track

i'll start

The first lap of the day on a chilly morning is the absolute worst time to try and improve your lap time

New tires need a little bit of time to break in. Not much ... but more than the length of the blend line at Shannonville corner 1.

Some I learned myself, some I heard other learned the hard way.

If by yourself, set up so you can drive up to your pit area and access your rear stand from where you would dismount your bike. Nothing worse than standing there holding up your bike with your stand 5 feet away and out of reach.

Don't forget to take your tire warmers off, and turn them off/unplug them.

Make sure all your R-clips are safety wired, especially the little ones like on your rear set lever pivots. (I've got a photo of my shifter hanging and me stuck in 3rd gear somewhere...)

More gas better than not enough. Track day? Half a tank or more all the time. Race? 5 Litres plus a litre a lap is very very safe.

As someone noted - Tire scrub in - 1 lap at a medium pace will do it.

If the rear is spinning, DON'T abruptly chop the throttle. I learned the hard way several times.

use locktite if you dont want the shifter on your brand new rearset vibrating off after 3 laps

Don't check the oil on a running generator.

Take the warmers off before you leave your pit

Invest in JBweld.....

Make sure your bike actually runs before you get to the track. Bringing a frame with no motor, hoping the spare that you found in a shipping container works isnt a good idea.

Never push more than 100% trying to follow someone a lot faster than you, it won't end well. lol.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

When you run off the black stuff onto the green stuff don't use your front brake to try & stop.

The guy/girl you lapped last year,might kick your butt this year,,stay humble and learn.
Watch the fast people and learn.
Don't ask them how,and then expect them to do it for you,,cause that answer probably cost them $thousands. Step up try and learn,,help comes to those that make the effort.
This sport is expensive,,people spend a lot of money for a small window of fun. Don't be the person that ruins their fun. If you need help,, help yourself first by getting organized so people helping are able to.
Most of all,, nobody,nobody is required to help you. But people will,,,so respect that or you will be pitting by yourself.
And if you think buying that cheap ***** generator and a 300 foot extension cord is the way to go,,,,,buy the cheap generator but put it right beside your bike. Not 300 feet away.
And after 37 years trackside,,that's straight,no breaks, trust me ,, I got plenty more.

1.Check to make sure your tire warmer is working 45 min before the race even though it's plugged in and the the genny is running.
2. Buy locally made tire warmers so you can get support especially when the support tech is pitted right next to you.

Last edited:
Don't track ride unless you personally are at 100%. Not hungover or sick or tired.
Buy the best tires, gear and supplies you can afford and in that order. The cheap trackday outing doesn't exist.

Don't track ride unless you personally are at 100%. Not hungover or sick or tired. .

And to add to that, stay hydrated. Bring tons of Gatorade or hydration beverage of choice. You'll sweat an absolute ton. Even though I usually drink 3 litres of Powerade and a good 1.5 litres of of water though out the day, I usually lose a solid 7-9 pounds each summer track day (yes, I'm fat, which helps hold water).

FYI stay away from Gatorades and Powerades. They dehydrate you more then anything. Yes you'll get your electrolytes in but you'll dehydrate.
Keep those for lunch and end of day.
Even better, just get the electrolytes 100% pure and add it to your water.

If you choose Gatorade, choose the G2, as it as less calories and sugar.

I'd agree with the above.

3litres? That's like 6 bottles.

I love G2 (tastes like Popsicles) but I am about 4 bottles of water to one G2. 24 pack of water and 6 pack of that and I'm set for about 3 days.

Buy a tire temperature gun.
Use a tire temperature gun before you go on track every time.
Check your pressures

and the #1 lesson I was too stupid to observe on my first race season is.... Setup your suspension.

and the #1 lesson I was too stupid to observe on my first race season is.... Setup your suspension.

And don't think because you're going slow it won't matter. It does matter because you won't go faster if it isn't. And you can't set suspension if you are not using warmers. You can set sag, but you can not refine suspension for handle improvements,,So you can go faster.

Back
Top Bottom