For the preseason | GTAMotorcycle.com

For the preseason

Baggsy

Site Supporter
Solid read, I never feel comfortable trail braking. I always question if I should be using front vs rear and how much. Doesnt really help that everyone says to do it different, guess I just need to do it more or do a track day/school.

Too much circumlocution, and advertising their school.

I guess trying to get you to go, rather than give you the info for free.

I can't find a good alternative trailbraking video.

hard to find good quality, free content without the added fluf (advertising) these days, if you can filter out the promotional crap, there is a lot of good information IMO

Solid read, I never feel comfortable trail braking. I always question if I should be using front vs rear and how much. Doesnt really help that everyone says to do it different, guess I just need to do it more or do a track day/school.

Trailbraking is very difficult because it is different for every corner and slightly different every time you enter (if you're passing someone, you could be entering from the inside for example).

The idea behind it is simple: rather than doing all your braking before your turn, you prolong braking into the turn up to the apex before fully disengaging the brakes. Most track day riders, including me, use front brake only. I don't know anyone personally that uses the rear brake at all because the margin for error is very thin.

The theory behind trail braking is to enter with near 100% brakes and as your lean angle increases, your brake % lowers until finally hitting 0% and getting on throttle at the apex. During the entire time, your goal is utilize nearly 100% of your traction. Just know that if you ever go above 100%, one of the tires are going to go lol

I would not practice this on public roads because the only kind of turns we have are ramps and if you **** up, you're low siding into a ramp wall or incoming traffic.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom