Supersports are not beginner bikes - a video reminder | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Supersports are not beginner bikes - a video reminder

agree with the thread title, but after watching that, and listening to the dude narrating,
wouldn't have mattered what bike he was on, he was going down, hard to believe he'd taken the MSF course

Not sure I agree with the "He'd have dumped anything he was riding, supersport didn't matter" argument.

Watching it a few times (and listening, he even mentions it) he completely botched an attempt to rev match, he broke traction, and the rest is history.

Now, with a smaller bike....doing exactly that won't dump you on your *** because they're more forgiving. My wife botched countless downshifts/rev match attempts when she was starting out but since she started on a modest bike and it never once dumped her because of it.

If a botched shift or bad rev match automatically put you on your *** everyone at the MSC's would be spending more time on the asphalt than on their bikes.

A botched rev match because he grabbed too much front brake. Do that on any bike besides a cruiser in crappy conditions and you'll loose the front like this awesome moto vlogger did.

the guy claimed at one point that all he was thinking about was trying to change gears and not stall,
he was guaranteed to crash if he kept going long enough, lucky for him he was on liter bike that put him
down after a spin around the block before he could run into a moving vehicle, the guy was not ready to be
in traffic, on any bike

He says he's going to give himself "a week or so" until he gets comfortable with the bike. LOL. At his maturity level he'll be comfortable in one week, and a pro after two.

Not sure I agree with the "He'd have dumped anything he was riding, supersport didn't matter" argument.

Watching it a few times (and listening, he even mentions it) he completely botched an attempt to rev match, he broke traction, and the rest is history.

Now, with a smaller bike....doing exactly that won't dump you on your *** because they're more forgiving. My wife botched countless downshifts/rev match attempts when she was starting out but since she started on a modest bike and it never once dumped her because of it.

If a botched shift or bad rev match automatically put you on your *** everyone at the MSC's would be spending more time on the asphalt than on their bikes.

True. On a smaller bike you aren't dealing with the compression and the drag of the bigger and more numerous cylinders. Also on a 250 they're so much slower to react when you twist the throttle. That kid is all ego like most young guys. He'll be a pro in a couple of months. God help him.

Was it a snowy wet mess? yeah, thought not. I don't disagree that a big SS is not a starting point, but don't pretend that was the end all be all here just because you get an iffy stiffy when an ss ride goes shifty.

Last edited:
He says he's going to give himself "a week or so" until he gets comfortable with the bike. LOL. At his maturity level he'll be comfortable in one week, and a pro after two.
lol

as i always say, you dont learn until you burn.

That kids gonna end up without a lot of skin one day, then he'll learn

This is that guy who's the lowest IQ in whatever room he walks into and tries to compensate by talking smart. He thought he'd bought another compensating tool, the way he blasts by his friend looking for approval and then immediately looks back in shame after he crashes. He's riding for approval, not for his own enjoyment.

This is that guy who's the lowest IQ in whatever room he walks into and tries to compensate by talking smart. He thought he'd bought another compensating tool, the way he blasts by his friend looking for approval and then immediately looks back in shame after he crashes. He's riding for approval, not for his own enjoyment.

The story of most moto-vloggers...

I mean... Who hops on a motorcycle not knowing how to simply shift/not stall while trying to provide commentary of what they're doing?

Anyone else remember that feeling of first trying a supersport, I was prob just as nervous as this guy lmao ahhh the feeling.

I was nervous af on the 250 cause first bike and all, but hoping on the supersport was a different type of nerve... It was more excited nervous haha.

Anyone else remember that feeling of first trying a supersport, I was prob just as nervous as this guy lmao ahhh the feeling.

I was 13 or 14 and my dad was on the back of his zx-9. I was so nervous I couldn't rev match when downshifting.

I was nervous af on the 250 cause first bike and all, but hoping on the supersport was a different type of nerve... It was more excited nervous haha.

Nope. I had been riding for years and had gone cross continent on a MC when I got my first SS.

I would have to say that I was a bit nervous when getting on any new to me bike. But once moving it disipated pretty quick. Then just enjoyed the new machinery.

Physical cringing aside, I feel bad for the guy. Seemed overly excited for his first SuperSports bike (we've all been there). Logic should have dictated that he waited until warmer weather and an empty parking lot. He learned that one quick.

I really want to get into a Duc 1199. Been 3 years off a SS bike.. I'm sure I'll have the same fear for the first few..

This+is+what+cringe+feels+like+in+my+head+_4610808ca5a83a49e654ec211e5164b8.png

Hard to watch, at least he didn't run headlong into a tractor trailer and kill himself.

Bought my ST from a dealer about 100km away and riding home would have meant about 85km on the 403 and the 401 .......... As I had a 20 year gap in riding just not comfortable with that and had bike delivered to my door and took it very easy for the first few weeks.

How many others have done the exact same thing or worse and it's not on video? More than we can imagine.

And this is a perfect example of why folks under the age of 30 have huge insurance quotes for SS bikes. Plain and simple.

There is no shortage of stupid people.

Throttle inputs, response, braking, body position. Concentration and focus.

How about shutting up and thinking about what you are trying to do instead of what makes for a god damn video?

The government is going to step in and put cc limits on licensing. And it's gonna suck for a lot of folks. Or they will just price folks out of the market with huge insurance premiums.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How many others have done the exact same thing or worse and it's not on video? More than we can imagine.

And this is a perfect example of why folks under the age of 30 have huge insurance quotes for SS bikes. Plain and simple.

There is no shortage of stupid people.

Throttle inputs, response, braking, body position. Concentration and focus.

How about shutting up and thinking about what you are trying to do instead of what makes for a god damn video?

The government is going to step in and put cc limits on licensing. And it's gonna suck for a lot of folks. Or they will just price folks out of the market with huge insurance premiums.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To be fair, it doesn't have to be an SS bike and it doesn't have to be a young person. I've see older guys get themselves a brand new Electra Glide for a first bike and go flying with that famous Harley torque. You're right though, if too many vids surface like this it's curtains for new riders on big CC bikes.

That kids gonna end up without a lot of skin one day, then he'll learn

To his credit, he was wearing proper gear including what seemed to be full leathers. It saved his *** right out of the gate as he almost certainly walked away scott free on that one short of maybe a few bruises.

That was my thought as well - at some point, turn the "show" off and concentrate on what you're doing. This was one step way from vlogging the damn MSC itself.

Then again, you know that's happened. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom