Lifting points on a bike | GTAMotorcycle.com

Lifting points on a bike

You can perform the majority of service tasks with a rear stand, that will lift the bike by the swing arm. These are good for chain maintenance since the rear wheel is off the ground and spins freely allowing you to easily clean and lube the chain.

If you need to service the front forks then a triple tree stand is the recommended option.

What tasks are you planning on doing?

Would be handy to know what bike you want to lift, and maybe why you need to lift it, if its anything beyond an oil change

Describe make, model, year. It matters.

Sport bikes often have threaded mounts in the swingarm designed for spools to be installed which accommodate a rear stand designed for spools. The post above has that covered. Works for changing the rear wheel, tire, sprockets, chain, etc. It will not work for rear suspension projects (rear shock, linkage, swingarm pivot bearings, etc) because a stand like this still relies on the rear suspension of the bike to be functional and carrying the load.

There are two main types of front stands - one small type that has pins which are inserted into the holes underneath each fork to get the front wheel off the ground, and another much bigger type that has a single pin which is meant to be inserted into a hole in the bottom of the steering stem which lifts the entire front end off the ground. Both types are only to be used with the rear of the bike already supported on a swingarm stand. Both will work for removing the front wheel for a tire change. The steering-stem stand will work for that plus servicing the forks. Neither will work if you have to service the steering head bearings.

If you have to do suspension work or steering head work, then you have to get creative. My workshop has an overhead steel beam that is part of the structure of the building. I fabricated a couple of hangers that are secured to the lower flange of that steel beam and which I can hang tie-down hooks to, and then hang the bike from rear subframe (with seat removed), or footpeg brackets, or looped around the frame. Comes in handy for engine removal/installation, too. The center of gravity of a Yamaha FZR engine is very close to the starter motor, so a strap looped around the starter motor and then hung from tie-down straps to the ceiling means I can unbolt the engine and lower it out of the frame in a controlled fashion without having it come crashing down, and I can hoist it into position with the tie-down straps and insert the engine bolts through the frame and the engine at my leisure.

Race bikes with solid footpegs can be supported using a couple of automotive safety stands under the footpegs. That's enough alone to get the rear suspension completely unloaded so that you can service the rear shock and linkage. That plus a steering stem stand means you can service the forks and fork springs as well.

Thanks guys.
Need to change the chain and sprockets.
have the 1990 VTR250.
Will any rear stand do the trick?

Something like this should do the trick.

https://www.kapscomoto.com/product_p/smi3011.htm

not sure if you bike has threads for spools, if that's the case you could get a stand with the spool attachment and pick up some spools. Could also get a package from that site and get a front and rear. If you are looking to do the work this weekend something local to you should have something similar in stock. if you do purchase from the site I believe GTAM10 will save you 10%. Not affiliated, just purchased these stands for myself a few years back and recently for my GF's motorcycle.

as mentioned above

but get the front and rear at the same time, useful in the winter when bike is in storage

https://www.kapscomoto.com/Venom_Motorcycle_Front_Rear_Lift_Stand_p/smi6010.htm

SMI6010-2T.jpg

or paddle stand if you don't have spools in the rear

SMI6011-2T.jpg

If the bike doesn't have threads for spools on the swingarm then there are paddock stands that have lifters that are "L" shaped and lift the bike by the actual swingarm.

and a trick on removing the front sprocket before the chain...stick a 2x4 thru the rear wheel spokes, rotate it till it's locking up everything. Remove front sprocket first, then chain and rear sprocket. When assembling, set everything in place, size and rivet the chain and use the same trick to hold and tighten front sprocket.

You might also want to break the front sprocket nut free, before putting it on the rear stand.

Last edited:
I like steering head stands if I'm going to be taking off the front wheel.
Or I have a home made stand that goes though my swing arm pivot hole.

Back
Top Bottom