Fj07? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Fj07?

Doubtful as it would cannibalize sales of the fj09 which isn't selling to well to begin with. More than a few dealerships still trying to offload brand new 2015's.

I talked with Yamaha guys at the motorcycle show ... they have absolutely no plans for bringing FJ-07 to North America.

They will probably chop the FJ-09 as well in the near future, which is sad because if they got rid of the speed limiter, beefed up the suspension and eliminated that bug catcher on the front I'd consider it for my next bike.

I don't really like what they've done with the FZ1's replacement (FZ-10) stylistically and in terms of practicality (also price - ouch).
There's no touring version, with regular headlights, screen and half fairings.

They seem to be more focused on making the hipstermobiles like XCR and SCR.

Last edited:
Nice....was not fond for the MT-10 look but this is good...

2017-mt07-tracer-first-look-image-30-1.jpg

The MT-07 Tenere is coming, but no time line.

Correct, they announced the concept bike in November at Milan and were "aiming for a 2018 debut".

I talked with Yamaha guys at the motorcycle show ... they have absolutely no plans for bringing FJ-07 to North America.

The show reps do not have any of the upcoming model information. We (some dealers) have been pestering them incessantly since they released the MT07 Tracer to bring in a North American version. I expect we will see this model here in the near future, but I have no firm confirmation on this yet.

They will probably chop the FJ-09 as well in the near future, which is sad because if they got rid of the speed limiter, beefed up the suspension and eliminated that bug catcher on the front I'd consider it for my next bike.

I don't really like what they've done with the FZ1's replacement (FZ-10) stylistically and in terms of practicality (also price - ouch).
There's no touring version, with regular headlights, screen and half fairings.

They seem to be more focused on making the hipstermobiles like XCR and SCR.

The FJ09 is not going anywhere, worldwide it is one of the better selling models. Not much direct competition given capabilities and price, and this comes from someone who very much likes the direct competition to this bike (VFR, Tiger 800, baby multistrada). Speed limited at 185 km/h... who cares? Licence is gone long before then anyway, it's not a track bike. Suspension was okay both single and two up touring when I used it last year. I did set the preload a bit harder as I am bigger than the rider it was set up for at factory. I am not sure I would pay more for this bike with "better" suspension that I would never be able to use to it's capabilities. Windshield styling is functional but not awesome looking, no arguments there.

Like you, I was disappointed that the FZ10 was not more tour-y. Small gas tank, no decent luggage option, limited wind protection, hard seat. I was super impressed by the performance when I rode it both engine and chassis/suspension. I just couldn't wrap my mind around touring on it.

If you wanted a guess as to the direction of the model lines: I think we will see a few more models based off the FZ07 engine soon. Small tourer (Tracer model), "adventure" option maybe (mini Tenere), and maybe the XSR700. That parallel twin is one of the nicest small-ish engines I have rode is a while. There will be an early model release this summer (June or July), the same way they have done the past 3 or 4 years. I doubt we'll see a worldwide model release until November (they always do it at EICMA).

I'm rooting for the FJ09 to be a sales success on this side of the Atlantic as much as it has been in Europe, but I'm skeptical. I haven't seen one on the road yet and I still see dealerships with 2015's to sell. I have a feeling that it will be yet another great motorcycle that is loved in the rest of the world where "all rounders" are king, but some how doesn't gain a following here in the cruiser/ss dominated North American market. The FJ09 would be near the top of my list if it had better wind protection (tons of reviews all complaining about the wind noise from that odd screen) and a larger fuel tank (most reviews claiming 250+km to a tank).

I'd love to see the MT07 Tracer come here as well as the 850cc Tenere, just not sure that sales would be enough to get it/keep it here. I remember a sales rep telling me that in NA they often don't bring over a model if they already have something similar as it will cannibalize the sales from the existing model and the worry is having left over models of both to sell at a discount a year or two later.

That makes sense however the business people have already decided to sell both the FZ07 and FZ09 in Canada and the US.
Aren't the differences between the Tracer 700 and 900 similar to the gap between FZ07 and FZ09?

I have a feeling that it will be yet another great motorcycle that is loved in the rest of the world where "all rounders" are king, but some how doesn't gain a following here in the cruiser/ss dominated North American market

just like th CBF1000....adored in Europe as a true sports tourer and obvious successor to the ST1100 Pan European ...never made it to the US ....and barely to Canada.

FJ09 would be on my list to for "sleeper bike" but the CBF will have to do.

That said...kid had a choice between Fz9 and FZ8 and chose the FZ8 for the ergonomics - still loving it and has done both coasts ....maybe Yamaha just got the ergonomics wrong on the 9s...( he said the 10 was worse on a demo ride ).

Funny how ""first impressions" can kill a sale. He sat on the FZ8 ....then tried the FZ9 and immediately said I want the FZ8.
He's average height and weight ..maybe Yamaha has to look at the ergos....I expected those triples to be big time sellers given the value for money...

...The FJ09 is not going anywhere, worldwide it is one of the better selling models. Not much direct competition given capabilities and price, and this comes from someone who very much likes the direct competition to this bike (VFR, Tiger 800, baby multistrada). Speed limited at 185 km/h... who cares? Licence is gone long before then anyway, it's not a track bike. Suspension was okay both single and two up touring when I used it last year. I did set the preload a bit harder as I am bigger than the rider it was set up for at factory. I am not sure I would pay more for this bike with "better" suspension that I would never be able to use to it's capabilities. Windshield styling is functional but not awesome looking, no arguments there.

Like you, I was disappointed that the FZ10 was not more tour-y. Small gas tank, no decent luggage option, limited wind protection, hard seat. I was super impressed by the performance when I rode it both engine and chassis/suspension. I just couldn't wrap my mind around touring on it.

If you wanted a guess as to the direction of the model lines: I think we will see a few more models based off the FZ07 engine soon. Small tourer (Tracer model), "adventure" option maybe (mini Tenere), and maybe the XSR700. That parallel twin is one of the nicest small-ish engines I have rode is a while. There will be an early model release this summer (June or July), the same way they have done the past 3 or 4 years. I doubt we'll see a worldwide model release until November (they always do it at EICMA).

By bug catcher I actually meant that honeycomb plastic between the headlights. Who came up with that?
As for the 185km/h. Well.... let's just say that I don't like forced restrictions but from what I understand Yamaha implemented it because of the wobble the bike gets passed that speed.
I am quite happy with my 2013 Fazer8 (the only year with fully adjustable suspension I think) but for long trips that I do, could use more range (larger fuel tank). Was thinking FJ as a logical replacement in couple of years maybe but even though it sells everywhere else, N.A. market is weird so they may pull the plug on it.

The MT-07 Tenere is coming, but no time line.

Correct, they announced the concept bike in November at Milan and were "aiming for a 2018 debut".

Id buy that...

Currently looking at Vstroms/versys....a capable/cheaper tenere with fz07 engine would be a awesome!

I'm rooting for the FJ09 to be a sales success on this side of the Atlantic as much as it has been in Europe, but I'm skeptical. I haven't seen one on the road yet and I still see dealerships with 2015's to sell. I have a feeling that it will be yet another great motorcycle that is loved in the rest of the world where "all rounders" are king, but some how doesn't gain a following here in the cruiser/ss dominated North American market. The FJ09 would be near the top of my list if it had better wind protection (tons of reviews all complaining about the wind noise from that odd screen) and a larger fuel tank (most reviews claiming 250+km to a tank).

I'd love to see the MT07 Tracer come here as well as the 850cc Tenere, just not sure that sales would be enough to get it/keep it here. I remember a sales rep telling me that in NA they often don't bring over a model if they already have something similar as it will cannibalize the sales from the existing model and the worry is having left over models of both to sell at a discount a year or two later.

yeah the stock screen is useless, lots of after market screens available now that are better,
but the wobble at speed is really a problem if you go big, don't have to worry about the speed limiter

fuel range is 300 until it zeros and starts to count up, I've often gone 350 without running out,
but it ain't a good feeling and another 100k would be welcome, and the gauge is wonky,
really have to reset the trip meter and watch it, bikes on full until 250, then empty in 30 minutes

biggest challenge I've had is getting the suspension setup properly, silly soft from the dealer,
after 2 seasons still messing with it, but I carry some weight at times and this bike does
not seem to have a happy spot where it's usable light or heavy that I've been able to find on others

but other than that, I love the bike, and the 847 triple is amazing, low and mid usable power,
but still rev happy like an inline 4....funny thing, the chicks love it, I ride with a group of friends,
3 GSA's a Strada, couple of weestroms....when we stop at a restaurant or whatever the gals flock around the FJ09

FJ07 would be interesting to see, but too light and not enough HP for serious tripping

yeah the stock screen is useless, lots of after market screens available now that are better,
but the wobble at speed is really a problem if you go big, don't have to worry about the speed limiter

fuel range is 300 until it zeros and starts to count up, I've often gone 350 without running out,
but it ain't a good feeling and another 100k would be welcome, and the gauge is wonky,
really have to reset the trip meter and watch it, bikes on full until 250, then empty in 30 minutes

I have asked about this. Yamaha is aware of it, it was explained to me as "something to do with the shape of the tank." I had the exact same problem/complaint. If you want a personal guess, it is probably a small nightmare to re-engineer the level sensor/gauge interaction for the one unit that does this since the same components are used in many models. Still silly in my mind though.

biggest challenge I've had is getting the suspension setup properly, silly soft from the dealer,
after 2 seasons still messing with it, but I carry some weight at times and this bike does
not seem to have a happy spot where it's usable light or heavy that I've been able to find on others

but other than that, I love the bike, and the 847 triple is amazing, low and mid usable power,
but still rev happy like an inline 4....funny thing, the chicks love it, I ride with a group of friends,
3 GSA's a Strada, couple of weestroms....when we stop at a restaurant or whatever the gals flock around the FJ09

FJ07 would be interesting to see, but too light and not enough HP for serious tripping

I don't think it's meant as a replacement for the FJ09 or FJR, but rather a compliment to them. Not all riders want the long distance capabilities of the FJR, or the size that goes along with it. In my mind, the FJ07 would allow a rider to buy a bike that starts out as a small sport bike, then can become a small sport-tourer as the rider's preferences change with the addition of luggage etc. The reduced seat height would make it attractive to smaller riders who want to tour (albeit day trips and weekends) a bit as well. The FZ07 is a very capable longer distance bike, if you don't feel the need for a 642 lb (FJR quoted wet weight) highway bike. I don't see why the FJ07 wouldn't be better.

I have asked about this. Yamaha is aware of it, it was explained to me as "something to do with the shape of the tank." I had the exact same problem/complaint. If you want a personal guess, it is probably a small nightmare to re-engineer the level sensor/gauge interaction for the one unit that does this since the same components are used in many models. Still silly in my mind though.

I don't think it's meant as a replacement for the FJ09 or FJR, but rather a compliment to them. Not all riders want the long distance capabilities of the FJR, or the size that goes along with it. In my mind, the FJ07 would allow a rider to buy a bike that starts out as a small sport bike, then can become a small sport-tourer as the rider's preferences change with the addition of luggage etc. The reduced seat height would make it attractive to smaller riders who want to tour (albeit day trips and weekends) a bit as well. The FZ07 is a very capable longer distance bike, if you don't feel the need for a 642 lb (FJR quoted wet weight) highway bike. I don't see why the FJ07 wouldn't be better.

yep, different people buy different bikes for different reasons....
and I agree, a smaller, lighter, cheaper sport tourer would attract buyers

so although my thinking, while I loved my FZ6, with the V35's and a tail bag on it,
it was a bit cramped, and needed more torque and more weight for long rides,
and the FJ09 was the perfect progression, may not apply to those who would look at the 7

if you you're on a trip where you have to get your quota for the day, but it's windy as F
and raining, you want bigger, heavier, more torque, so the 7 would be inferior to the
13 and the 9

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom