Bike recommendation? Experienced dirt biker, 24yrs old, M2 | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Bike recommendation? Experienced dirt biker, 24yrs old, M2

KLR650 and DR650 are very versatile - they are comparable to mules - will get you anywhere but they are slow and stubborn. Both very outdated, both cheap to insure, maintain and fix. DR is better offroad, KLR has a longer range and more comfy on the highway.

Depends on your definition of 'slow' They do highway travel just fine,

If 0-60 is the goal then i guess they qualify as slow

KLR650 and DR650 are very versatile - they are comparable to mules - will get you anywhere but they are slow and stubborn. Both very outdated, both cheap to insure, maintain and fix. DR is better offroad, KLR has a longer range and more comfy on the highway.

I agree 100%! Go for KLR 650!
You will not regret it...the most affordable and reliable d/s bike out there...

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

Depends on your definition of 'slow' They do highway travel just fine,

If 0-60 is the goal then i guess they qualify as slow

No, they are slow. KLR650 is probably the worst accelerating motorcycle in its cc class.
Is it faster than many cars or a CBR125? Sure.
Yes, it does highway just fine.
Gearing and top speed are nothing to speak off for city or highway riding.
Give the KLR a gravel road though and you will fall in love with it.

Hey I'm also the same age as you and was in the same situation. I picked up a cbr300r used and insurance runs around 1750 for the year. It's my first year of riding Street bikes and have driven dirtbikes for a while. It's super fun and affordable for a beginner rider until you gain more experience and insurance goes down. Hope that helps

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

For people new to street riding (I know dirt riders have a lot of good experience - you get familiar with the brakes, the leaning and your general skill threshold climbs quicker when you're less afraid to fall), I'm going to go for the unpopular answer and propose the CBR600RRA or Triumph Street Triple. Both fairly powerful bikes with controllable torque curves, and switchable ABS (at least on the triumph).

When you're new to street riding, you want a bike with a more linear power band and ABS. Some bikes have spikes in their rev range - those are less controllable and thus less beginner friendly. There's always going to be people who say blind stuff like, "get a 250 or 300" because they think you can't handle it. Yeah, if you've been riding, you can handle it. You just need to learn to look over your shoulders and be hyperaware of the road.

Happy riding!

What the ****?

You suggested a supersport with an i4 engine and put linear power band below it.

For newbies reading this thread: inline 4 engine + supersport tuned = ridiculous power spikes.

Back
Top Bottom