Bike recommendation? Experienced dirt biker, 24yrs old, M2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Bike recommendation? Experienced dirt biker, 24yrs old, M2

jlugray

Hello,

Spent some serious time looking through the insurance/beginner bike threads. Could go for some extra direction if possible.

I'm looking for a motorcycle with affordable insurance (obviously). I like cheap so not interested in buying a bike new. Spent entire life dirt biking so I'm confident on a bike. That being said, I just got my M2 and the bikes I want are not affordable for me. I'm 24yrs old. I also dig the cafe racer look (honda cb 550, triumph bonneville) but they're hefty on insurance.

Any guidance in terms of a bike that'll be easy on the bank and might appeal to my taste would be awesome! That being said... i just want to get on the road, so I'm prepared to scrap my taste for sake of affordability.

Appreciate the help!

Simple answer - 250cc cruiser market.

Long answer - you're not going to be able to get what you want for the insurance price you're going to consider affordable, so if you want to get on 2 wheels just accept the fact that you're going to be riding something other than your ideal bike for at least a year or so. It sounds like you're willing to do that, so that's positive. ;)

Something like a Marauder 250 or Rebel 250 are easy to come across this time of year for the $2K price range from sellers who did their time on them and are moving up, so you won't have to look hard, but don't jump at the first one you find either - there's LOTS to choose from so don't buy a turd simply because you're in a rush and bypass the gems in the meantime. I sold my wife's beginner bike (Marauder 250) last summer with brand new rubber for $2100, but when I was looking for it the fall before I saw a ton of old beat up junk that people wanted more for.

Strongly consider getting yourself signed up for a motorcycle safety course as well - you will learn important street skills and insurance companies will be more willing to underwrite you. Some give a discount, and some insist on it. Your previous dirt experience is a big benefit for sure, but insurance companies don't give you squat credit for it. ;)

Last edited:
New rider here..

I decided on getting a Ninja 300 for a first bike because
-- Worried 250cc wouldn't be safe on the highway
-- Insurance costs
-- Likely can't do anything too stupid with it

Still have a month or two before bike prices will skyrocket.

I'm the same age as you and the insurance basically said the bigger CC you go the more you'll pay. I'm looking at ~$3,000 range for my car + this bike with clean driving record + outside of GTA.

Is it true if the bike's under 11,000 km and =< 4 years old, it's probably a safe buy?

Last edited by a moderator:
Suzuki TU250. Mod the handlebars so they are either straight or drop. You can get the cafe look(ish) very cheaply.

If you're an experienced dirt biker, pick up a 250cc dual sport for a year, do all your tests with it, and then move up to the bike you want. I got my licence with a Kawasaki KLX 250, rode it for 3 years, then sold it and bought a Ducati Monster.

If you're an experienced dirt biker, pick up a 250cc dual sport for a year, do all your tests with it, and then move up to the bike you want. I got my licence with a Kawasaki KLX 250, rode it for 3 years, then sold it and bought a Ducati Monster.

Do you track it?

Wow really appreciate the help with this, thanks guys! Ya unfortunately a 250 cruiser i'm sure is the way to go for insurance sake.

I like the look of the suzuki TU250, would it be considered a sport bike when insuring it? My concern is it being underpowered and iffy on highways? Is there something similar to it with a bit more juice? Or would you expect something like a 350 to significantly up the insurance?

Your insurance will come down quite a bit when you hit 25. Until then, stick with as low cc as possible. A TU250 will not be great on the highway buy it's doable. It will not be considered a sport bike.

Find yourself an old Ninja 250 for a thousand bucks and enjoy that instead. Will be way more nimble and insurance should still be low enough.

Once you start riding on the streets, you'll find out what's more important to you, style or performance, comfort, etc.

It's a bit of a misconception that a 250 cruiser can't do highways.

401, yeah, not ideal I would agree, but you'll be able to do 100.

Secondary highways, not really a problem - it'll wind out and you may not be able to climb bigger hills without losing a bit of speed, but you'll get the job done. My wife rode her 250 Marauder on the highways including the 35/115, Highway 7, etc.

Ultimately what matters is that you're gaining experience and are on 2 wheels. Time and experience will bring the rest.

Go for a ninja 300 or R3 if you can find.

They're light, loads of fun to rev out, cheap insurance/gas/price

Will be harder to find R3 on used market since its relatively new.

Both are easily highway capable.

I didn't notice much difference between a 250 and 300cc.
Ride my cbr 250 on highways most of the time and have little problems going with traffic and passing
(you need to figure what your bike can and can't do, and you will be fine)
Being relaxed and having a soft grip vs grip of death (forearm pump) would help in dealing with the wind. And don't wear loose windbreaker over your jacket because they act as sails.
btw I would get the R3. later

For people new to street riding (I know dirt riders have a lot of good experience - you get familiar with the brakes, the leaning and your general skill threshold climbs quicker when you're less afraid to fall), I'm going to go for the unpopular answer and propose the CBR600RRA or Triumph Street Triple. Both fairly powerful bikes with controllable torque curves, and switchable ABS (at least on the triumph).

When you're new to street riding, you want a bike with a more linear power band and ABS. Some bikes have spikes in their rev range - those are less controllable and thus less beginner friendly. There's always going to be people who say blind stuff like, "get a 250 or 300" because they think you can't handle it. Yeah, if you've been riding, you can handle it. You just need to learn to look over your shoulders and be hyperaware of the road.

Happy riding!

Here is a thread about WR250R vs DRZ400. If you think you'd like a dual sport, you might find it interesting:
http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/showthread.php?200759-DRZ400-vs-Wr250R

For myself, I'm considering trying a Honda CB500X, Kawasaki KLE650 or Suzuki DL650as my next bike. They are all supposed to be pretty versatile bikes for city, highway or rough road

Kawasaki KLR650 is another dual sport. Single cylinder, low tech and reliable. If you look outside 416/905, you'll find the occasional bargain on a used model

(edit: oops, s/DR650/DL650)

Last edited:
For people new to street riding (I know dirt riders have a lot of good experience - you get familiar with the brakes, the leaning and your general skill threshold climbs quicker when you're less afraid to fall), I'm going to go for the unpopular answer and propose the CBR600RRA or Triumph Street Triple. Both fairly powerful bikes with controllable torque curves, and switchable ABS (at least on the triumph).

When you're new to street riding, you want a bike with a more linear power band and ABS. Some bikes have spikes in their rev range - those are less controllable and thus less beginner friendly. There's always going to be people who say blind stuff like, "get a 250 or 300" because they think you can't handle it. Yeah, if you've been riding, you can handle it. You just need to learn to look over your shoulders and be hyperaware of the road.

Happy riding!

You missed the part where he wants low insurance and likes cheap. Plus suggesting CBR600 or a Street Triple is like suggesting an Infiniti G37 or a Mercedes GLK 350. One has nothing to do with the other.

Here is a thread about WR250R vs DRZ400. If you think you'd like a dual sport, you might find it interesting:
http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/showthread.php?200759-DRZ400-vs-Wr250R

For myself, I'm considering trying a Honda CB500X, Kawasaki KLE650 or Suzuki DR650 as my next bike. They are all supposed to be pretty versatile bikes for city, highway or rough road

Kawasaki KLR650 is another dual sport. Single cylinder, low tech and reliable. If you look outside 416/905, you'll find the occasional bargain on a used model

KLR650 and DR650 are very versatile - they are comparable to mules - will get you anywhere but they are slow and stubborn. Both very outdated, both cheap to insure, maintain and fix. DR is better offroad, KLR has a longer range and more comfy on the highway.

Back
Top Bottom