Exhaust TOO loud? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Exhaust TOO loud?

weight reduction is a great way to improve performance. and a slip-on just way lighter than OEM.

meanwhile, It is easy that too focused on exhaust systems. forgetting upgrade intake.

BMC or K&N air filter is damn important,
even not getting an aftermarket exhaust.

Edit: SC Project has an open exhaust can(means never considered noise reduction when designing it), called CR-T. IT IS ABSOLUTELY LOUD AND SUPERB. The only problem is not road legal.
https://www.motostarz.ca/brands/sc-project-exhaust.html

The description of that exhaust is awesome!

Adding an exhaust can, or aftermarket intake is all just lipstick on a pig. Waste of your hard earned dollars. The performance gains are zero on a 250cc. Treat the bike as what it is, a trainer for a more powerful bike. I love custom as much as the next guy, but in this situation, you'd be better off with swapping out the mirrors for smaller, more aero mirrors, or just going to the gym and losing 10lbs, for better bike performance. A fart can is only going to add noise.

Hindle, order direct from manufacturer with a 3 day delivery to your door. New site had a 15% discount for awhile, may be still on. Lot of sound bites if you search.

weight reduction is a great way to improve performance. and a slip-on just way lighter than OEM.

meanwhile, It is easy that too focused on exhaust systems. forgetting upgrade intake.

BMC or K&N air filter is damn important,
even not getting an aftermarket exhaust.

Edit: SC Project has an open exhaust can(means never considered noise reduction when designing it), called CR-T. IT IS ABSOLUTELY LOUD AND SUPERB. The only problem is not road legal.
https://www.motostarz.ca/brands/sc-project-exhaust.html

No, just no, it's not a great way. Shake your head and get real. MAYBE having 4 headers into 2 into 2 pipes and redirecting that whole thing into 1 pipe.....yeah you'd save about 10ish pounds nowadays. Otherwise it's so negligible it's not an issue.

Last edited:
No, just no, it's not a great way. Shake your head and get real. MAYBE having 4 headers into 2 into 2 pipes and redirecting that whole thing into 1 pipe.....yeah you'd save about 10ish pounds nowadays. Otherwise it's so negligible it's not an issue.

But...but...what about the 1/100's of second that weight reduction will cut off my time blasting from one tims to another? surely that means something! it's gotta.

Lets face facts.. for anyone street, there is little to no positive gain on performance - weightwise or other. It's all about customizing and making your bike 'badass' somehow.

And lets face this...for the majority of people that do 'performance mods', there's no computer tuning done to realize any additional minimal gains, and very likely, you're ruining the performance of your tuned engine overall.

Why dress up the reasoning other than what it is? Just a cooler item.

Lets face facts.. for anyone street, there is little to no positive gain on performance - weightwise or other. It's all about customizing and making your bike 'badass' somehow.

very well said indeed.

From what I know, for smaller engines, a well-designed exhaust not mainly serve the purpose of topping-up the performance of an engine. But level up the power delivering in the most of the rev range. of course, these well-engineered exhausts are the minority in the market. Majority exhausts just do a little bit each. if you stare at the performance improvement on the 'Majority exhausts', it is just limited. On the other hand, those well-engineered exhausts are somewhat pricey. Only a portion of small bike owners willing to spend no less than 10% of the bike cost to upgrade a performance exhaust, to gain the power they are not likely to use often on the street.

Okay, this is nerdy. I admit I'm a one on this matter. Sorry for any headaches may causing by reading this. let's blame the cold weather made us can't go outside and ride ;)

CR-T advertising again:
* Racing version, not for road use. CR-T is a "Race Replica" silencer, coming directly from the MotoGP, so there is not the possibility to have db-killer inside the CR-T silencer.
* Racing version, not for road use, with the following noise level:
at 4.400 rpm: 111 dB
at 7.000 rpm: 118 dB
at 8.000 rpm: 123 dB

Note: Decibel is a logarithmic unit, means number goes up by 1, 10 times louder

I guess this is the best thing I can come up to pay back an annoying neighbor(okay, it is overkill... in most of the cases).

where do you get your information??
:lmao: that is a typo. thanks for pointing out.

Decibel is a logarithmic unit, means number goes up by 10, 10 times louder. 20db is 10 times louder than 10db, not 2 times louder.

But...but...what about the 1/100's of second that weight reduction will cut off my time blasting from one tims to another? surely that means something! it's gotta.

And lets face this...for the majority of people that do 'performance mods', there's no computer tuning done to realize any additional minimal gains, and very likely, you're ruining the performance of your tuned engine overall.

This

I installed a aftermarket exhaust on my street bike for 1 reason only........the stock exhaust looks absolutely terrible on my bike, could care less about performance gains or weight reduction, or the sound for that matter (but it does sound pretty sweet :) )

:lmao: that is a typo. thanks for pointing out.

Decibel is a logarithmic unit, means number goes up by 10, 10 times louder. 20db is 10 times louder than 10db, not 2 times louder.

Think you need to research a little bit more. Logarithmic scale is essentially the higher the value db, the difference becomes smaller. For instance, the perceived loudness between 20 and 30 db is a lot more than the difference between 80 and 90 db.

My Stock can is 13lbs (cat in pipe) vs 4lbs with the graves I run. Personally weighed. Euro 4 doubled can sizes. Fat is back.

OP, careful what you buy. You'd be amazed at the noise (and not pleasant) a 300 can make with the wrong pipe. Search some 300 specific forums and see what they think.

Mmmmmkay. You keep relying on noise "to keep us alive".

I don't pander to that train of thought though. Don't bother trying to convince me otherwise, I won't change my mind.

Only reason I'd switch out an exhaust is for the performance. A slip on won't give you that

Well I can honestly say that I don't need 2 hands to count how many times I was cut off last year. I actually wasn't cut off last year while riding. I do believe my loud exhaust has a part in that. I had cars move out of the way for me, rather than not see/hear me, and move into my way. Riding from east side of Toronto all the way to Oakville during afternoon rush hour, was not cut off once. I'll always be a believer of a louder exhaust.

It's also a full exhaust, with a power commander... So exhaust done right.

Well I can honestly say that I don't need 2 hands to count how many times I was cut off last year. I actually wasn't cut off last year while riding. I do believe my loud exhaust has a part in that. I had cars move out of the way for me, rather than not see/hear me, and move into my way. Riding from east side of Toronto all the way to Oakville during afternoon rush hour, was not cut off once. I'll always be a believer of a louder exhaust.

It's also a full exhaust, with a power commander... So exhaust done right.

that may be the case if you point your exhaust in the direction of travel, otherwise you are just annoying the people behind you

Mmmmmkay. You keep relying on noise "to keep us alive".

I don't pander to that train of thought though. Don't bother trying to convince me otherwise, I won't change my mind.

Only reason I'd switch out an exhaust is for the performance. A slip on won't give you that

I changed out my exhaust for a slip on, it saved me a lot of weight, and I do believe I have some performance increase, I was not after the noise, I even put in the DB killer to cut down on the noise.

But you say a slip on won't increase performance ?

why not ???

I don't have a PC on the bike yet, but the bike has tuned itself for the exhaust, or it at least seems that way, sounds good, runs good, but actual numbers this I don't know....

And no it was not put on for the noise, or to save lives, I am not a believer in that, most times when in the cage the only time I hear a loud bike is once it has gone past me, don't hear them much if at all while they are behind me...

that may be the case if you point your exhaust in the direction of travel, otherwise you are just annoying the people behind you

You must have really gained some performance. Considering you are going faster than the speed of sound. Lol

It's been discussed to death before and I should have started with "I believe"...I stated about 10 lbs thus the slight performance improvement would only come from weight loss. It doesn't add horsepower, only reduces weight and usually increases noise.

I'm not here to argue one way or the other.

In my first post I answered the question. I've stated what I think about slip ons (not enough value for me) and that I don't or won't believe that loud pipes make any difference in safety.

For some odd reason motorcycle after market mufflers have been and appear to continue to be an irritant to the global community in the should I or should I not realm. Judging by the microcosm that is GTAM I'd say it's a safe bet that fishtail mufflers for the sportbike will not be making a comeback. A shame really because noise, performance and weight are of little consequence but style never goes out of style. #amirite

Back
Top Bottom