Cheapest Insurance for 50 year old dad and 17 year old son | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Cheapest Insurance for 50 year old dad and 17 year old son

Yeah, we could consider the FZ-07. Paul, I see you're an insurance agent, would you be able to provide me with a quote?

What's wrong with a R3 or something similar? Great bike with decent ergos. When the OP mentions looking for something with more power and a 600 SS, I'm sorry but, I think you have the wrong mind set.

What do you need more power for?

Is the concern about being overtaken by wreckless Corrolla drivers?

The R has sporty looks, decent power to get around traffic, can manage highway speeds etc.

Get some significant street time on an entry level bike before ripping up the streets on the Repsol painted 600.

There are plenty of young riders that tell everyone how mature and experienced they are and looking to jump on SS.

There are seasoned riders with multiple machines and often ride smaller displacement bikes because the are light, agile and fun!

Or pay up the insurance and ride what you think is best. A 17 yo with access to an intermediate bike or SS thinking they already have enough experience riding a 225 Enduro? Makes the spidey senses tingle.

I appreciate the concern, but allow me to reiterate: the bike is primarily for my dad. He is the one who is looking for something more powerful, as he has over 20 years of riding experience under his belt on all kinds of bikes. That was back in the 80s and 90s though, which is why he would love to try out a newer SS. As for myself, like I said I've been riding dirt bikes since I was a kid including 450s which I think are reasonably powerful bikes, definitely more than the XT. You won't hear me complaining if I get occasional access to a supersport haha. I will not claim to be more mature and experienced than most riders here on the forum, but I will say I am not the type of rider to be 'ripping up the streets' all the time. My dad and I have both test ridden a number of bikes before the season ended last year, which included 300cc sport bikes like the ninja 300 and the 600cc supersports like the CBR600RR and R6. Obviously there is a large difference in power. To answer your question: no, there is nothing wrong with the 300s at all, in fact they're great bikes and if I was in the market for my own bike right now I would probably be looking at them because I wholeheartedly agree they are much more friendly to young riders (fuel efficiency, insurance, power, etc). But like I said, this is going to be my dad's bike and he's looking for a bike in the 600cc range, which both of us would feel comfortable on and have a blast riding.

Personally I wouldn't let my 17 yr old ride my sport bike. It's not the newest SS, but still too much for a novice street rider. Even my older one with a bit less power is not going to be his to ride. I'd get a different bike for him...and yes I'd probably take it out on occasion.

Besides, having 2 bikes means you can both go out on rides together.

That's fair, I'm lucky that dad thinks pretty highly of me as a rider. How about an FZ 07 or a 600cc dual sport, would you let him on those?

How is it your dad has 20 years of experience but only just got his M2 last year?

He's starting over, so insurance will still be high for him. Also, if he hasn't been riding in a long time, the experience with TO traffic isn't there either. So maybe a SS isn't the best thing for him yet either.

Sounds like you and your father have your minds set, you have been given lots of info in this thread, but now I think it's time, you get on the phone call the various Insurance places and get confirmed prices on the bike you are going to be sharing.

Once you have this confirmed, please come back and let us know what bike you have, and what the cost on insurance is......

Curious minds want to know.....

just wanted to add,,,,riding dirt, and riding street, are 2 different animals.......well you have to have a sense of balance for both, but just about anything else is night and day......I have yet to see a street rider stick his foot out and down onto the pavement going around a corner/curve, yet the dirt riders do it without even thinking about it......my years of dirt riding did not add to my street riding......

Last edited:
Yes, we know his insurance is high compared to someone his age with 20 years of riding experience on the record. Nevertheless it's still affordable and he's willing to pay it.

Again, the concern is appreciated, but India offers much worse traffic conditions than a rider is likely to ever encounter here in Canada. And it's not like he hasn't been driving a car, he has 21 years on the record here in Canada so he is quite well versed with the driving conditions here. Admittedly, yes he has only been riding for a year in Canada but my dad's experience and skill level shouldn't be a concern due to all the riding he did in his past. A motorcycle was his only mode of transportation back then, he couldn't afford a car haha. He's plenty skilled enough to be perfectly adept at riding a supersport here.

I really do value everyone's input and opinions here on the forum, thanks to everyone who has pitched in so far. Keep them coming!

To each their own, but I would definitely say my dirt riding has helped me here on the street. Basic operation of a motorcycle is the exact same, as well as balance. Plus I've learned how to crash haha. But yes, I agree that street and dirt riding are vastly different and I won't ever call myself a seasoned street rider based on my dirt experience.

To each their own, but I would definitely say my dirt riding has helped me here on the street. Basic operation of a motorcycle is the exact same, as well as balance. Plus I've learned how to crash haha. But yes, I agree that street and dirt riding are vastly different and I won't ever call myself a seasoned street rider based on my dirt experience.

I was going to type out a whole bunch of stuff on how different dirt and street riding are, but typing on the IPad just sucks so I'm not going to waste my time, seems you know more than most of us 50 year olds, so I'll leave it at that.

just waiting on your cost of insurance and the bike you will be sharing..

and i I really hope you don't need to use your leaning oh how to crash, while on a street bike, totally different and nothing like crashing in the dirt....

'Seems I know more than most of you 50 year olds?' Is that supposed to be sarcasm? When did I ever claim, or even imply I was more knowledgeable than 'you 50 year olds'? I prefaced my last most with to each their own, which is another way to say I am simply stating my humble opinion. And again, I do have slightly over a year of street riding experience which I know is not a lot, but you're talking to me as if I know nothing about street riding. I don't know a lot, but I do know the basics, at the very least enough to understand that dirt riding and street riding are not the same, including crashing.

GateKeeper, it seems you are unable to respect my opinions which is what I have an issue with. I welcome constructive criticism, the entire purpose of me joining this forum is to learn and grow as a person and a rider. But I detest when people talk down to me simply due to my age, as you have been. As a seasoned rider, you should be encouraging and providing a positive experience to newcomers, not demeaning them. Especially if they have not antagonized you. If you have anything to say that I can learn from, I welcome it. Have a good day and ride safe.

I will be posting information about my best quotes on a few models of bikes we are looking at by this Saturday, stay tuned if you'd like to see that.

Some will have trouble respecting your opinions...because they're off base. And you're not really aware of that so it's easy to get on the defensive when you are called on it.

Neither you nor your father are ready for a supersport, simply put. You have effectively minimal street experience on a bike that's about as far from a SS as is possible, and your dad has zero recent experience that relates either.

There's also an argument to be made that you'd better served with a more modest bike which will not only be able to insure for drastically less money but will still perform beyond either of your abilities at this point. The experience and streetsmarts you need to not only be safe but proficient (to the extent a SS bike is capable of) will only come with several years of seat time.

Secondly, at 17, dirt experience or not, you are grossly overestimating your abilities and skills to handle such a bike, particularly on the street with only, at maximum, a year of solo driving experience...assuming you have your G2 and are driving alone now.

Again, I'm just saying it as it is again. But yes, do get those quotes and get back to us.

Back
Top Bottom