Wynne just can't stop trying to kill our province - new labour laws afoot..... | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Wynne just can't stop trying to kill our province - new labour laws afoot.....

However, the inability or lack of willingness to pay a decent living wage is a failure on the part of the business ownership.

If you've created a business that will sink because of these changes then you created a ****** business.

Possibly, or it's simply a business that runs on small margins because that's all the market may bear. Again, starting/running a business is not all rosy or easy. Having the gubment buy votes with a business owners money is all bad news.

Ontario has already become a "have-not" province under the Liberals reign of terror. Time to end said reign.

I ran a small business in Ontario, then I ran a large business in Ontario. We had basic benefits, paid sick days and a flexible vacation program and a we put 3% into an RRSP, you can match or exceed. Over 120 employees, payroll was the GDP of a small African country. The challenges of meeting the provincial and federal obligations is a fairly expensive proposition, the province needs to F right off on labor initiatives.

A sad reality is your 15% of key people are only sick when they are sick, see a project to conclusion not till the bell rings and are looking for efficiencies. The other 85% are on facebook, sick on friday when joey is in a hockey tourney and have good office skills , but not beyond the other 35,000 people that can post an invoice in your area code, yet they are soooo quick to tell you how much more you should be giving them.

Its not always the business model thats flawed, it can sometimes be the employees that are convinced the place will implode without them.

I ran a small business in Ontario, then I ran a large business in Ontario. We had basic benefits, paid sick days and a flexible vacation program and a we put 3% into an RRSP, you can match or exceed. Over 120 employees, payroll was the GDP of a small African country. The challenges of meeting the provincial and federal obligations is a fairly expensive proposition, the province needs to F right off on labor initiatives.

A sad reality is your 15% of key people are only sick when they are sick, see a project to conclusion not till the bell rings and are looking for efficiencies. The other 85% are on facebook, sick on friday when joey is in a hockey tourney and have good office skills , but not beyond the other 35,000 people that can post an invoice in your area code, yet they are soooo quick to tell you how much more you should be giving them.

Its not always the business model thats flawed, it can sometimes be the employees that are convinced the place will implode without them.

Exactly. Very hard to run a business in Ontario. I'm selling the last of mine. I'm in a mid size business and I want no part of Ontario. Sorry people think we put in money and should give everything away. Working 60hrs a week and making a profit is considered bad. Anytime an employer makes a profit people think the employer doesn't deserve it or screwed the employee to make it.

It's expensive to hire someone new and train them. We go out of our way to retain employees as much as possible. People just aren't happy and always want more.

Small business owners have it the toughest. Sometimes they can't take hits of $2k to $4k. They can't afford these crazy hydro rates.

Huge disconnect between employers and government. I would prefer not to invest in Ontario.

one's a snowflake

Seems like it's more vote-buying by Wynne.

Having said that, I'm pretty tired of what the business community has been doing to maximize their profit (outsourcing and offshoring, going more to part-time, temps and contract workers) over the last while and some of what's suggested doesn't sound like a bad idea. For example, "Requiring employers to pay their part-time workers the same as full-time workers doing similar jobs" and "Limiting the proportion of an employer's workforce that can be from temp agencies" removes some of the incentives businesses have for throwing someone out on the street in favor of a cheaper, more profitable alternative. I care more about the worker that has to pay his mortgage than a business that will only see 2.4% growth instead of 2.6%...

Another way to look at it is this: If Trump can stomp on businesses that outsource to China or Mexico to ensure American workers benefit what's so wrong about Wynne protecting Ontario workers in other ways?

Last edited:
Well since it's so easy and the businesses are awash with cash and fat profits, why don't you start one and see just how easy it is?

Wynne is simply using the money of business to buy votes. Of course that's how she works, panders to the voters and making others pay for it.

The Liberals gave us family Day in February but the tab goes to the employer, about a half a percent of their annual wages pay for nothing. To some companies it may not be a big factor but companies that sell their time it could be huge. Accounting firms, software firms, consultants, lawyers, etc only derive their income from billing for their time. Trades get paid to sit home for the day. Overheads don't get the day off.

High labour content businesses that are high volume low markup get hit hard. Our civil service wage costs went up the half point as well.

A company with 200 employees has to hire one more person, give them a desk etc.

Canadian Acme Widget makes a half a percent fewer widgets than China Acme Widget.

When profits go down loan rates go up further hobbling the horse. Shareholders look further afield.

Ontario is the land of the death of a thousand cuts for business.

70% of all private sector employment is in small businesses (99 people or less)
98% of all companies are small businesses

This is literally the driving force of our economy, and choking the people who keep these firms alive is a step in the wrong direction. I'm a business owner - I already pay exorbitant payroll taxes, cpp and ei contributions, personal income taxes, and the cherry-on-top 10% WSIB racket tax on almost my entire payroll. I make good money, but I'm at about the limit of where I can accept any more cuts to the bottom line. Beyond this point it won't make sense to employ anyone, I could downsize massively, take smaller jobs, and make almost as much money with far far (far far far) less headaches. I don't get sick time or paid vacation. And when I have to chase money, I might have to go months without being paid while my workers claw away at my business credit line.

If these people stay in power for much longer, it's gonna hurt our economy, badly.

This is literally the driving force of our economy, and choking the people who keep these firms alive is a step in the wrong direction. I'm a business owner - I already pay exorbitant payroll taxes, cpp and ei contributions, personal income taxes, and the cherry-on-top 10% WSIB racket tax on almost my entire payroll. I make good money, but I'm at about the limit of where I can accept any more cuts to the bottom line. Beyond this point it won't make sense to employ anyone, I could downsize massively, take smaller jobs, and make almost as much money with far far (far far far) less headaches. I don't get sick time or paid vacation. And when I have to chase money, I might have to go months without being paid while my workers claw away at my business credit line.

If these people stay in power for much longer, it's gonna hurt our economy, badly.

Wow my WSIB rate (Electrical) was a third of yours.

A friend had a fast food joint. A worker came in one Monday and threw out his back bringing in cases of pop, getting WSIB benefits.

Friend hears via the grapevine the worker took a serious tumble skiing the day before. Worker gets $$$ Business owner gets a rate increase.

Not sure I need congrats, :), owning a small company is one of the hardest things I've done in my life, I might even call myself crazy (door..... wide..... open..... :) )
Of course congrats are due. As a business owner, it takes guts to set out on your own and make a go of it.

Few of the resolutions will be adopted. I suggest protection for the contract and part-time workers will go through since they are virtually unregulated. The paid sick days already exists in Quebec, so I could see that going through. Three weeks annual paid holiday ain't going to make it. I'm good with almost all the resolutions, but I don't see them going through. If they do, they'll be repealed by the next conservative government.

I think the real target here is going to be fast food, foreign owned restaurant chains that pretty much add nothing but bad jobs (many of them in foreign workers program) to the economy while treating their workers disposably. They tend to transfer all of their profits out of the country while contributing little to the economy. Most of them (McDonald's, Wendy's, Popeye's, A&W) don't even buy Canadian beef, potatoes or condiments - it's all foreign.

I agree that Canadian cottage-industry small employers don't need any more stress put on them. There needs to be an exemption for companies with under 10 employees and at a certain EBITDA.

Roofers have it even worst... trust.

Wow my WSIB rate (Electrical) was a third of yours.

A friend had a fast food joint. A worker came in one Monday and threw out his back bringing in cases of pop, getting WSIB benefits.

Friend hears via the grapevine the worker took a serious tumble skiing the day before. Worker gets $$$ Business owner gets a rate increase.

Back
Top Bottom