Wynne just can't stop trying to kill our province - new labour laws afoot..... | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Wynne just can't stop trying to kill our province - new labour laws afoot.....

Genuine question here...how should small businesses be treated so that it's fair for employees and employers while paying a fair share of taxes to the province?

YEAH!!! How the **** are we supposed to get ahead when we can no longer ensure that our employees can't!! LOCK HER UP!!! LOCK HER UP!!!

• Making paid sick days mandatory.
  • Boosting the minimum required paid vacation to three weeks per year from the current two weeks.
  • Lowering the threshold at which overtime pay must kick in to 40 hours, down from the current 44 hours.
  • Abolishing the lower minimum wage for students under 18 and people who serve alcohol.
  • Requiring employers to pay their part-time workers the same as full-time workers doing similar jobs.

I've got no problem with this one:
Requiring employers to pay their part-time workers the same as full-time workers doing similar jobs.
...as long as it's the same hourly wage. PT still don't qualify for the benefits that most FT do though...so still getting less in the long run.

Genuine question here...how should small businesses be treated so that it's fair for employees and employers while paying a fair share of taxes to the province?

Whats "fair share"? If employees paid the same amount in taxes as their employer, they'd all be destitute.

I pay about 40% in income taxes, the business pays around 11%, then another 10% of payroll (!!!) goes to the WSIB racket. I don't even wanna add it all up, I'll give myself a headache.

Other provinces I've worked in have overtime being paid out once you hit your scheduled hours whether it be 4, 8, 10 or 12, regardless if you hit the 40 hours a week marker. I don't see a problem with that

A company I worked for here liked to schedule people for 44 hours a week but you got in trouble if you ended up working longer (which when stuck with a difficult customer was easy to do).

YEAH!!! How the **** are we supposed to get ahead when we can no longer ensure that our employees can't!! LOCK HER UP!!! LOCK HER UP!!!

• Making paid sick days mandatory.
  • Boosting the minimum required paid vacation to three weeks per year from the current two weeks.
  • Lowering the threshold at which overtime pay must kick in to 40 hours, down from the current 44 hours.
  • Abolishing the lower minimum wage for students under 18 and people who serve alcohol.
  • Requiring employers to pay their part-time workers the same as full-time workers doing similar jobs.

I don't see this as helping them get ahead. I do think paid sick days are a good incentive. Three weeks paid vacay wont help anybody get ahead, it will take another few hundred per person off the bottom line. It may encourage owners to try to make do with less people.

part time vs. a full time wage? if your a manufacturer using the part time guy to avoid benefits and perks then yes, Fred putting a peg in a hole should earn what Joe earns if its done to the same level.
What if you bring on a third yr uni student for 4 months, that wont stay and Fred has been with you for a decade full time. You should get to decide what is a suitable wage not the province.

I always loved hearing the lunch crew banter, the three owners all drive 7 series Bmw's , went on another cruise and own more than one house...... yeah because they financed this place where your sitting enjoying your pizza, hold all the risk and liabilities and pay all the fines if you stick your fingers in a punch press. There should be no reward for being a business owner and investor, you should be happy the province lets you operate at all.

Most laws are double edged swords. Eliminate the "Lower wage for lower age" and the employer only hires adults with more experience muscles etc. Then the students cry "No jobs".

Many student jobs fill an important place, they fill a spot while the other guys get vacation. They can take a project the other guys just dont have time for, you can have them show something new if they have any leadership skills.
Insisting they get the same wage as a full time guy? who determines if its the same work? the province? Union rep? slippery slope

Many student jobs fill an important place, they fill a spot while the other guys get vacation. They can take a project the other guys just dont have time for, you can have them show something new if they have any leadership skills.
Insisting they get the same wage as a full time guy? who determines if its the same work? the province? Union rep? slippery slope

I worked at a dairy weekends as a student. Management really liked students for Saturdays because the adult workers got drunk Friday night and often didn't show up the next day.

They then switched paydays to Tuesday because the dairy was closed on Wednesday and the payday binges could be slept off at the employees expense.

The employee/employer relationship is very tenuous.
These days unless you are a highly skilled/in demand type of person... You don't matter.
There are 1000's of people lined up who will take most jobs for less than you.
Employers are only beholden to themselves and/or their shareholders. Period.
I've got a brother who drives trucks. Not transport/semi rigs... Dump trucks mostly.
He's probably a good driver, but... Frankly, anyone can drive a truck and that's why he's never had what I'd call steady employment.
Me, I'm lucky... I have a job that nobody wants. Lol.

I've got a brother who drives trucks. Not transport/semi rigs... Dump trucks mostly.
He's probably a good driver, but... Frankly, anyone can drive a truck and that's why he's never had what I'd call steady employment.

That's his fault. There's plenty of money still to be made in driving trucks.

I don't see this as helping them get ahead. I do think paid sick days are a good incentive. Three weeks paid vacay wont help anybody get ahead, it will take another few hundred per person off the bottom line. It may encourage owners to try to make do with less people.

part time vs. a full time wage? if your a manufacturer using the part time guy to avoid benefits and perks then yes, Fred putting a peg in a hole should earn what Joe earns if its done to the same level.
What if you bring on a third yr uni student for 4 months, that wont stay and Fred has been with you for a decade full time. You should get to decide what is a suitable wage not the province.

I always loved hearing the lunch crew banter, the three owners all drive 7 series Bmw's , went on another cruise and own more than one house...... yeah because they financed this place where your sitting enjoying your pizza, hold all the risk and liabilities and pay all the fines if you stick your fingers in a punch press. There should be no reward for being a business owner and investor, you should be happy the province lets you operate at all.

3 weeks vacation time should be a minimum. Countries with the happiest/productive workers have more. I saw a report once comparing sick days taken with paid vacation days given. In that report US workers were more apt to take sick days compared to french workers for example.

If it pays $$$, somebody will take it from you.

'Not likely... (Unionized government org.)

We're hiring, but new employees are compensated at a far lower level. There is no shortage of applicants, but I bet if the economy overall was more robust they'd have a difficult time filling all then positions that need filling.

Back
Top Bottom