Wynne just can't stop trying to kill our province - new labour laws afoot..... | GTAMotorcycle.com

Wynne just can't stop trying to kill our province - new labour laws afoot.....

"They include such ideas as requiring employers to give workers a minimum number of paid sick days, and to give workers advance notice of their shift schedules."

Damn, that sounds horrible.

Don't forget these are just going to be suggestions, doesn't mean they will approval them all or any for that matter.

"They include such ideas as requiring employers to give workers a minimum number of paid sick days, and to give workers advance notice of their shift schedules."

Damn, that sounds horrible.

I suppose you've never run a small business in Ontario.

If this all goes through it will significantly raise to cost of running the business, while at the same time adding more issues/restrictions on how one can run the business.

I suppose if they also simultaneously reduced small business taxes and gave some other significant incentives to cover off the cost differences that would be great. But of course that ain't gonna happen......

Oh man I cannot wait until she decided she needs more votes and gets us all $1k/month guaranteed income to vote her back in....come on Wynne...if you're going to kill the province at least give ME something in return!

Seems like it's more vote-buying by Wynne.

Having said that, I'm pretty tired of what the business community has been doing to maximize their profit (outsourcing and offshoring, going more to part-time, temps and contract workers) over the last while and some of what's suggested doesn't sound like a bad idea. For example, "Requiring employers to pay their part-time workers the same as full-time workers doing similar jobs" and "Limiting the proportion of an employer's workforce that can be from temp agencies" removes some of the incentives businesses have for throwing someone out on the street in favor of a cheaper, more profitable alternative. I care more about the worker that has to pay his mortgage than a business that will only see 2.4% growth instead of 2.6%...

Another way to look at it is this: If Trump can stomp on businesses that outsource to China or Mexico to ensure American workers benefit what's so wrong about Wynne protecting Ontario workers in other ways?

I suppose you've never run a small business in Ontario.

If this all goes through it will significantly raise to cost of running the business, while at the same time adding more issues/restrictions on how one can run the business.

I suppose if they also simultaneously reduced small business taxes and gave some other significant incentives to cover off the cost differences that would be great. But of course that ain't gonna happen......

If enough companies refuse to treat their employees better than **** then the govt will step in and force them.

There are numerous examples of companies voluntarily paying more than the norm and reaping the benefits.

If a business' modus operandi requires paying their employees as little as possible I suggest they re-evaluate their goals.

If enough companies refuse to treat their employees better than **** then the govt will step in and force them.

There are numerous examples of companies voluntarily paying more than the norm and reaping the benefits.

If a business' modus operandi requires paying their employees as little as possible I suggest they re-evaluate their goals.
If a business can't offer basic things like some paid sick days, perhaps they need to reevaluate their business model as well.

If a business can't offer basic things like some paid sick days, perhaps they need to reevaluate their business model as well.

Exactly ... people forget that many businesses bypass that by signing rolling contracts. New one every year, hence no real employee status, thus no paid sick days and other things ...

Only pay OT after 44 hours because they legally have to.
Only provide 2 weeks vacation because they legally have to.
Only pay minimum wage because they legally have to.
Don't offer full time or any benefits because they don't legally have to.

The message being sent to employees is: I'd pay you less if I could.

What do they think they're going to get in return?

Some of this logic doesn't just apply to menial minimum wage jobs either. There are quite a few legitimate professions (that people obtained college or university degrees to get into) that are primarily offering employment through contract agencies. Anyone who believes any of these policies are genuinely bad probably thinks right-to-work legislation is great and also believes in trickle-down economics. It's really disappointing to see that so many people don't want to see their neighbours succeed.

Wynne is trying to make it look like she is giving us something but who is paying for it? Hey honey can I borrow your credit card. I want to buy you a present. The tax payer gets the bill in job losses, cut backs and out sourcing.

She's done some things to reduce hydro costs but the grab just gets shifted to a different pocket in the same pair of pants.

I'm all for it if Kentucky, Tennessee, the other right-to-work states, China, the Pacific Rim and a bunch of other jurisdictions follow suit.

There are situations where wage and benefit corrections are needed but this is a vote buy.

Only pay OT after 44 hours because they legally have to.
Only provide 2 weeks vacation because they legally have to.
Only pay minimum wage because they legally have to.
Don't offer full time or any benefits because they don't legally have to.

The message being sent to employees is: I'd pay you less if I could.

What do they think they're going to get in return?

Some of this logic doesn't just apply to menial minimum wage jobs either. There are quite a few legitimate professions (that people obtained college or university degrees to get into) that are primarily offering employment through contract agencies. Anyone who believes any of these policies are genuinely bad probably thinks right-to-work legislation is great and also believes in trickle-down economics. It's really disappointing to see that so many people don't want to see their neighbours succeed.

If I hire you to assemble widgets I have to pay you the minimum wage. If I contract the work out to you with you having a separate business you can pay yourself as little as you want. No CPP, EI, WSIB vacation pay etc.

If you squeeze the business model enough you won't have any jobs. ;)

Ah yes. Be happy that you have a job at all.

"Don't complain that wages are stagnant and buying power declines year after year. Suck it up buttercup!

Your parents were able to get by where taxes were lower, cost of living was lower, job security was a given, education was practically free compared to today.... stop being a lazy snowflake."

Ah yes. Be happy that you have a job at all.

"Don't complain that wages are stagnant and buying power declines year after year. Suck it up buttercup!

Your parents were able to get by where taxes were lower, cost of living was lower, job security was a given, education was practically free compared to today.... stop being a lazy snowflake."

Well since it's so easy and the businesses are awash with cash and fat profits, why don't you start one and see just how easy it is?

Wynne is simply using the money of business to buy votes. Of course that's how she works, panders to the voters and making others pay for it.

Well since it's so easy and the businesses are awash with cash and fat profits, why don't you start one and see just how easy it is?

Wynne is simply using the money of business to buy votes. Of course that's how she works, panders to the voters and making others pay for it.

I do agree that she's just buying votes.

However, the inability or lack of willingness to pay a decent living wage is a failure on the part of the business ownership.

If you've created a business that will sink because of these changes then you created a ****** business.

Mandating these changes won't change the culture. I don't know what will... but this won't fix it.

Back
Top Bottom