Looking for independent Volvo shop | GTAMotorcycle.com

Looking for independent Volvo shop

mxs

Site Supporter
I need to install a hitch on my V60 and of course the dealer is playing the game how my car's doesn't fit other Volvo car's towing package .... blabla. I have read that people have done it in the US, and Europe, so just need someone with experience and proper VIDA/DICE tool to do the wiring/software install. It's easy to install the hitch itself, the wiring and OEM system implementation is the tricky part.

The brand is new to me, so if you know someone who knows what they are doing as far as Volvo, let me pls know.

Volvo guys 416-538-6586 Keele and Eglinton.

Scott Cunningham out in Waterloo area is a great guy also.

Thanks, I spoke to them. Seems like good knowledgeable guys, but they really cannot help. They don't have the necessary VIDA/DICE setup for Volvos, necessary for diagnostics or software load etc.

what are you trying to do ? run lights for a open trailer ?

tell me more about "OEM system implementation" what do you m ean ?

In the meantime I found out a bit more about it .... OEM setup uses TRM (trailer module box) to run the show (signal/brake lights disable parking sensors, turn-on anti-sway etc.). I can purchase the module from a dealer, but a dealer will not install it (the module is officially sold for V60 CC, but my car is V60 regular ... that is only in North America, of course ... in Europe V60 or not, makes no difference, they use the same module). So I was trying to see whether, a shop with proper gizmos could upload the software (TRM requires software upload to come alive), to only find out that only Volvo dealers can upload software .. apparently. Also, after that, I found out that even if you find a dealer to do the upload, it will not work, because Volvo will not upload the software to North American VIN numbers .... nobody can tell you why, but it must have something to do with silly towing rules in US and Canada. BTW, the vehicle is approved to tow up to 3500 lbs, so that is not the issue ...

Anyway, no biggie, I just cannot use OEM wiring setup ... so will have to turn-off parking sensors manually when backing up and possibly some other minor things will activate or de-activate. It's not really an issue, I would just prefer OEM, that's all.

Well, I am going to save about 400-500 bucks .... LOL

software involved in signal and brake lights, before I heard this I kinda liked Volvos

Not really .... I mean, you can buy non-OEM harness for 50 bucks and the signals and brake lights plug and play correctly. OEM uses TRM also to do other things I mentioned, to make that work, they need to make the new-to-the-car module alive by software upload. Not any different than how most car companies do it today, in the world of gizmos.

Back
Top Bottom