Looking for classic/historic insurance...Any leads? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Looking for classic/historic insurance...Any leads?

drumstyx

My other bikes are with wawanesa, which apparently doesn't do any discounts for historic bikes. It's a restored 78 cb750, not worth a ton of anything, but I'll only be driving it to shows, and I've heard classic insurance can be crazy cheap, compared to what I pay for other bikes (still just over $1/cc it seems)

Anyone know of brokers that deal with classic insurance? Note: this isn't about getting insurance for an old bike, I can do that no problem, I'm specifically looking for classic insurance.

X2 Dalton Timmis, they specifically advertise to that market.

I'm with economical. They will insure your bike if you bring over a car. My cb550 is with them and it's 450/year liability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bummer of an update -- you have to be 30 for Dalton Timmis (what the ****...I'm 26, I worked hard so I could rebuild this bike, and now they don't think I'm old enough to be able to have a truly classic bike?) and no one else will insure anything but liability. IF I get insurance from my main insurer (Wawanesa), and that's an IF because the broker isn't sure she can get it, it'll be liability only.

This is one of those instances I'll have no qualms about insuring it under my dad...there are *literally* no other options. It's not like someone's quoting me $3000 or something crazy, they're outright refusing. Ridiculous.

I believe that my friend is with them with that type of insurance. He can't ride the bike any distance, and had to get another bike for that purpose.
It's meant for the bike to be taken to shows, and the mileage allowed was so low that that normally means on a trailer or in the back of a pickup.

Bummer of an update -- you have to be 30 for Dalton Timmis (what the ****...I'm 26, I worked hard so I could rebuild this bike, and now they don't think I'm old enough to be able to have a truly classic bike?) and no one else will insure anything but liability. IF I get insurance from my main insurer (Wawanesa), and that's an IF because the broker isn't sure she can get it, it'll be liability only.

This is one of those instances I'll have no qualms about insuring it under my dad...there are *literally* no other options. It's not like someone's quoting me $3000 or something crazy, they're outright refusing. Ridiculous.

I just turned 27 this year and I'm with economical - if that helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe that my friend is with them with that type of insurance. He can't ride the bike any distance, and had to get another bike for that purpose.
It's meant for the bike to be taken to shows, and the mileage allowed was so low that that normally means on a trailer or in the back of a pickup.

That wouldn't bother me at all, I have 2 other bikes insured as regular pleasure machines.

I'm in a unique class in that I'm young, but as I live alone with no dependents and a good job, I have money to spare for this fun hobby. Presumably the 30 year old minimum rider age is to prevent people from sneaking under the radar with an old junker of a bike because their other insurance is too expensive...I guess they assume if you're under 30 you're too broke to actually restore a legit classic bike, and only have it as a show piece.

And here I thought the ageism would stop when I turned 25.

@JimSun I appreciate the tip, approximately where are you located? I'm in Whitby. I'd prefer full coverage considering I've already lost $5k in the rebuild process, and now if it's ever lost in a collision or theft, I'd rather not lose the $4k left in value. That said, I'm waiting to hear back from my broker, and we'll see what they say. For the rate you quoted there it'd be worth a look at switching all my insurances over -- tenant, truck, 3 motorcycles...it's a lot of business. I have a ticket falling off at the end of March that will leave me with 1 minor ticket and 1 at-fault accident on my record, maybe I'll get lucky with full package quotes :)

There's no true classic bike insurance in Ontario. Unlike in US.
Haggerty is just about the only option for cars and they are cheap, no motorcycles however.

is this 'recent' ? just curious ...

a few years ago before I sold my 92 Kawi, I did have it registered as a 'regular' bike at about $500 / year for liability + theft ... I had made the call around to various insurance brokers and did make a call to Dalton and they told me I could have a limited policy similar to classic. They gave me a quote over the phone for $150 / year, ride only on weekends, something low like 1000km a year for only 6 months. I didn't go for it since the $500 'regular' insurance seemed to better fit my needs.

Back
Top Bottom