Home gym or Actual Gym? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Home gym or Actual Gym?

@jeff thank you for the input I appreciate it.

I considered that but one of the things that I can't stand at the gym is having to wait for machines / racks especially when some guys decide to rest for 5min in b/w sets! Or keep their bags there. I'm sure I could get better availability at more expensive gyms, but then the cost is prohibitive even more so. I'm most worried about not fitting in with the baby's schedule for the first little while.

Ideally I'd just sign up at work ($10/month) but if they switch my offices...no chance of that working out, and even then there's 1 squat rack/bench press combo. I think a half rack will suit my needs for a year or so, even though a full rack would be best because of the added security. There's a few kits that I can get started with for weights, but will upgrade as time moves forward. Honestly I think the majority of the exercises would be taken care of with a good bench, and dumbbell set. The rack is only for security for squat, and bench press. Seen some good stuff on Kijiji and am waiting for a few responses.

Sounds like building a home gym would be worthwhile for you. Kijiji some good deals on a rack, adjustable bench, dumbbells and barbell set and you'll be able to do a solid full-body workout. If you find later you can't stay motivated (or just prefer) then go back to a group gym. Sell the home stuff or keep it as a alternative to days you can't get away from home.

I've never used those. They scare me. And its not that much cheaper than a half rack..

With the half rack you can walk your bar right into it. With those things, you better be precise. I definitely wouldn't lift as heavy with those, and definitely not to failure :eek:

Check out the new Humber gym Lakeshore and Kipling area. Brand new equipment and from what I've heard a reasonable price. You don't need to be a Humber student to get a membership.

Check out the new Humber gym Lakeshore and Kipling area. Brand new equipment and from what I've heard a reasonable price. You don't need to be a Humber student to get a membership.

Been there and I'm an alumni, but the issue remains as other gyms...hours and wait time. Plus it's further from me than F4L.

I'd love a home gym. Just being able to hit the weights at moment's notice would be such a convenience personally.

I'm a little surprised that Planet Fitness has ZERO racks, and ZERO equipment for simple bench press. All they have are smith machines set up for bench, and for squat....lots and lots of cardio though.

Picked up some (practically new) POWERBLOCK U90 dumbbells and a nice bench for $380 just outside of town. I think that type of setup will keep me occupied for quiet some time. Only thing I really CAN'T do is proper squats, or very heavy bench. Which is fine for the moment. Might pop into the office when I have a free hour or so just to keep it up.

Last edited:
@danp - yes I saw that rack and it looks pretty good. Fitness Depot had a sweet full rack for $350 which would just fit inside of the space. However, once I put the 7' oly bar in there...it gets tight. Ideally I could do with a 5' or 6' bar as that would be much more easier to fit in the space, but not many racks have a narrow enough width to accommodate unfortunately. For now the bench and adjustables will have to do, along with pull-up bar.

Back
Top Bottom