Home gym or Actual Gym? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Home gym or Actual Gym?

mimico_polak

Site Supporter
Since I know that a lot of people here are into fitness and nutrition I am looking for some suggestions on my next move. My current membership expired and haven't been to the gym in 2 weeks but am now pondering installing some equipment in a small space in the basement. It's mainly unused space, and can move the desk and computer into the corner where it won't be a bother. Not sure on what equipment to get though.

Thinking the best would be a cage, but the low ceiling (about 7ft) may have an issue with that. I'm considering a half rack, a bench, and some free weights in order to do most exercises. I like doing the squat, and primarily compound exercises. Another issue is whether this is worth it or not. The membership at Fit4Less is about $150 for the entire year, and I don't think that I can get a very decent setup for $300 (price for me and my wife). Best bonus is the fact I can go at anytime, and the Fit4Less isn't 24/7 in my area, the Planet Fitness is, but they don't have too much equipment here from what I see.

Any recommendations for a small weight lifting setup? Thoughts? Is it worth it or just suck it up?

I would vote for building a home gym given your situation. If you are super tall, then having a cage in low ceiling environment, could be an issue. Why not set up a pull up bar in the garage? Then you can have dip station along with your rack, bench, free weights etc.

If I had a house, I would definitely have a home gym.

Half rack with chin up bar, bench, bar and weights, and powerblocks. Gyms suck, you'll save tons of time.

Why did you skip 2 weeks? Was it planned? Anyone serious about fitness doesn't skip unless they get injured. Even in the case of injury, they still go but do not work the injured area.

Because if it wasn't planned, you're wasting money.

Also, I really don't get why ppl hate the gym so much. I've gone consistently for around 10 years, and have been to 3 gyms. I intentionally pick gyms that have tons of squat racks (I'd rather drive further). The trick is to either go before, or immediately after work.

Last edited:
Crazy enough i have a home gym, and dont use it.

I prefer going to a gym instead.

That's exactly why I asked why he skipped 2 weeks. Home gyms only work for people who are already very dedicated otherwise it's another "I'm going to get healthy by buying this" excuse and a waste of money.

Crazy enough i have a home gym, and dont use it.

I prefer going to a gym instead.
Yeah, it's hard to motivate yourself & not get distracted. I end up playing with my guns in the basement instead

I skipped 2 weeks because my son was born, and I'd rather be home helping my wife and being around then going to the gym. Plus my work might be changing where I won't be able to go in at 6am prior to work, and after work the F4L is so busy there's minimal chance of getting to a squat rack/bench for any type of meaningful workout. Only reason I'm considering a home gym is because it's here, in the house, and there's no excuses or lineups....

I'd prefer a gym, but also don't want to be paying $50 or more/month. The F4L works for me price wise, and have been going daily / 3-4x/week depending on the program I was on.

The last year have been at the gym at either 6am, or 2:30pm which is still not busy at all. Hence why I kept going. If I have to commute to Yonge/Sheppard from Square One...no chance of those times. And gut is growing so need to get back into it. Office has a small gym downstairs, but if I get moved to diff location...no chance of using it.

Last edited:
I skipped 2 weeks because my son was born, and I'd rather be home helping my wife and being around then going to the gym. Plus my work might be changing where I won't be able to go in at 6am prior to work, and after work the F4L is so busy there's minimal chance of getting to a squat rack/bench for any type of meaningful workout. Only reason I'm considering a home gym is because it's here, in the house, and there's no excuses or lineups....

I'd prefer a gym, but also don't want to be paying $50 or more/month. The F4L works for me price wise, and have been going daily / 3-4x/week depending on the program I was on.

The last year have been at the gym at either 6am, or 2:30pm which is still not busy at all. Hence why I kept going. If I have to commute to Yonge/Sheppard from Square One...no chance of those times. And gut is growing so need to get back into it. Office has a small gym downstairs, but if I get moved to diff location...no chance of using it.

Well, it'll cost around $1000 to get a proper gym setup. Half rack + barbell + bench + 500lbs of free weights + whatever free weights. There are pretty big cons either direction but if you have the space, why not.

And before somebody posts a $90 barbell, a ****** rack, and a wobbly bench: that's a great way to get injured once you reach intermediate or higher numbers.

No question home gym is 10x better. Going to a gym takes too much time especially if you have young kids. Baby down for a nap? Go downstairs and start working out in 2 minutes.

Both have their ups and downs. I personally like going to the gym for motivational purposes, I also like watching girls at the squat rack.

cocosquat.jpg

I don't even care if she's in heels bro.

Last edited:
Checked out some half racks and they just fit height wise into the room (2.2m height) so will need to be creative with the equipment.

anyone have recommendations for adjustable dumbbell? Not looking for the 500$ ones and need about 20-60lb adjustment.
As for rack need to support about 300lbs for lifting as that's where my MAX is and I don't plan on going much higher.

Find a set of powerblocks on kijiji, there's no better adjustable dumbbell IMO. Bowflex used to make some, but unless they've completely re-engineered them recently they're garbage compared to powerblocks. Just pony up the cash, you should be able to find some for $350 or so.

I've had this Powertec half rack for years now and its excellent, if you can afford it its money well spent
http://www.powertecfitness.com/p-6-workbench-half-rack-wb-hr.aspx (mine is older style but quite similar in most respects I think)

Find a set of powerblocks on kijiji, there's no better adjustable dumbbell IMO. Bowflex used to make some, but unless they've completely re-engineered them recently they're garbage compared to powerblocks. Just pony up the cash, you should be able to find some for $350 or so.

I've had this Powertec half rack for years now and its excellent, if you can afford it its money well spent
http://www.powertecfitness.com/p-6-workbench-half-rack-wb-hr.aspx (mine is older style but quite similar in most respects I think)

Thats the one I was looking at but it gives me a 1" clearance with ceiling in the basement unfortunately. Am also looking at the AMSTAFF racks as they're a few inches lower and narrower

Hey if it fits, it fits. You likely won't be able to do pull-ups on any of these racks anyway, your head will hit the ceiling? The AMSTAFF one looks interesting and its under $300 on fitness avenue.ca so thats pretty cool. It lists the chin-up bar at 81" FWIW.

You could always just get a door-mounted chin-up bar, they're only like $30.

edit: this one looks like an exact copy of my powertec https://www.fitnessavenue.ca/amstaff-tp007-half-rack-system

If you position yourself correctly, those 14" long safeties easily work for benchpress too.

Yup, I'll re-measure tomorrow. Personally I'd prefer to get a rack suitable to use with a 5 or 6ft bar. I'm not pushing weights above 300 (only squat) so a shorter bar would work, especially with the tight space in the room.

Considered these as well: https://www.fitnessavenue.ca/amstaff-fitness-deluxe-squat-stands-tr311c

But not sure as to how sturdy those are. They would fit the best for the space.

One thing to think about in public vs home gym is your mental 'makeup'. From 2008-2016 I was a competitive powerlifter and lifted with a bunch of guys 3 times a week most weeks. I have shifted to trying to lift at home (as the garage gym we were training closed when the guy moved). I am having a hard time getting motivated. Even going to a public gym motivates me more than home as there are other people to talk with between sets, less distractions of doing family related stuff, gets me out of the house etc

If you do get a home gym and getting a barbell I would recommend getting a quality one. You might only be SQing 225-300 but one bail and the China bars you get with the weight sets will bend. I know, I have done it. I now have a bent bar for abuse like pin pulls where I don't care if I bend it more. Find a 'Texas power bar' or a real oly bar as they are better made and won't bend. Beware of the 'tested to 1500lb' China bars. They will hold 1500lb because they are stiff as hell and thicker than standard so they suck for deadlifting. Also beware of the cheapest weight sets. My (cheap) first set the 45's at home all weighted extra, one was 2 lb high. When we bought the 1000lb or so of 45's for the garage gym we actually took a scale and weighed 45's as we wanted to get ones closest to 45.

I have a full rack at home as my only really 'equipment' piece (othr than plates and bars). It got one with pulley lat attachment and between the top and bottom pullies I can also do seated rows, lat pull downs etc. Don't think you get those options with a 1/2 rack. So something to think about.

Also depending on what room you are doing this in you might consider some stall mats. I use 5x7 stall mats (2 is enough for under my rack) to protect my concrete floor and lessen any noise of deadlifting etc.

Jeff

Back
Top Bottom