Getting back to it | GTAMotorcycle.com

Getting back to it

wowren

Hey Everyone,

About 5 years back I started riding and got a ninja250 but only got to keep it for about a year because I had to relocate out of town. I never thought I'd ever ride again so I stopped keeping up with the forum and any news/announcements bike related.

However it seems now I may get the chance to get back to it once more and this time I'm considering the new 2017 ninja650. A few questions:

1. I got my old bike at Kahuna Powersports, are they no longer around? If not then where do I go for reputable dealers?
2. I see that the 2017 ninja650 should be available in a pearly white option but I dont see that in the Canadian Kawasaki page. Is it not out here yet?

Thanks!!

Hey Everyone,

About 5 years back I started riding and got a ninja250 but only got to keep it for about a year because I had to relocate out of town. I never thought I'd ever ride again so I stopped keeping up with the forum and any news/announcements bike related.

However it seems now I may get the chance to get back to it once more and this time I'm considering the new 2017 ninja650. A few questions:

1. I got my old bike at Kahuna Powersports, are they no longer around? If not then where do I go for reputable dealers?
2. I see that the 2017 ninja650 should be available in a pearly white option but I dont see that in the Canadian Kawasaki page. Is it not out here yet?

Thanks!!

Why go to a stealership? Get a decent used bike, save money.

I went to kahuna a longgg time ago, right around the time they were going to close shop, the only dealer i sort of liked/trusted was brampton powersports, but they recently closed down as well.

There are tons out there im sure you'll find one

Why go to a stealership? Get a decent used bike, save money.

I went to kahuna a longgg time ago, right around the time they were going to close shop, the only dealer i sort of liked/trusted was brampton powersports, but they recently closed down as well.

There are tons out there im sure you'll find one
I'm open to getting a used bike but really that's the only model that I'm interested in and I haven't seen any used one for sale yet. I know that I'd be paying a premium to get a brand new one though and I accept that.

Welcome.

Did you maintain your motorcycle licence or did it expire? If so the first thing you need to concentrate on is getting it back.

Secondly, motorcycle insurance, especially for larger cc sport bikes (like the 650 you're looking for) has changed and you may not find it affordable anymore. Be SURE to call for quotes before buying anything.

Welcome.

Did you maintain your motorcycle licence or did it expire? If so the first thing you need to concentrate on is getting it back.

Secondly, motorcycle insurance, especially for larger cc sport bikes (like the 650 you're looking for) has changed and you may not find it affordable anymore. Be SURE to call for quotes before buying anything.
I actually cut it really close as my M2 is expiring June 14th of this year haha. So I have just enough time to get a bike, practice a bit and take the M test. I also called a few companies and the best quote I got so far was from riders plus for $1750/yr with my M2 (forgot to ask what it will be when I graduate to M) so that's fairly reasonable.

I actually cut it really close as my M2 is expiring June 14th of this year haha. So I have just enough time to get a bike, practice a bit and take the M test. I also called a few companies and the best quote I got so far was from riders plus for $1750/yr with my M2 (forgot to ask what it will be when I graduate to M) so that's fairly reasonable.
That's good that you can get reasonable insurance... most companies start you all over from scratch if you don't have motorcycle insurance for five consecutive years.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

For dealers, I bought a new Kawi and Yamaha from two wheel motorsports a couple years ago and had no complaints or issues. I would buy from them again. They're pretty far from you though, closer I believe st. onge in Barrie has a pretty good rep but I've never bought from them before.

Gonna be difficult finding that one used. Ninja 650 never sold that well, almost non-existent nowadays. I'd suggest the SV650 since they started making it again but I see that they only make the naked. I'd take the V-twin over parallel-twin any day!

(BTW, I am not saying it's a bad bike, it's not).

Far for you but I always had a pleasant experience with Burlington Cycle. They sell Kawasaki.
Almost pulled a trigger on a Ninja 1000 (why does Kawasaki name every single bike Ninja???) - another bike that is not exactly popular although seems to be more visible on the roads recently.

Also, did you consider CBR650F? Looks better than their earlier middleweight efforts.

Last edited:
For dealers, I bought a new Kawi and Yamaha from two wheel motorsports a couple years ago and had no complaints or issues. I would buy from them again. They're pretty far from you though, closer I believe st. onge in Barrie has a pretty good rep but I've never bought from them before.
Aah yeah that's a bit far but i'll checkout st onge. THanks!

According to the Kawasaki Canada page, the 2017 Ninja 650 is available in black, orange, and KRT colours. No white that I see. The Z650 comes in white.

You're insurance quote seems normal given your license/years of experience. If you have the $$ I say enjoy! The new 650's are supposed to be 49lbs lighter than last year, so that is a significant improvement! Should be a really nice ride for you. I was at the show last weekend and really liked the new z900. Not sure I want a naked bike, but it was really sexy.

Apparently the white one isn't available in Canada, I'm not really sure why but it does exist (at least in the states).

Also the insurance guy just told me that if i wait a bit longer till I'm 30, or a month prior to turning 30 before starting my policy then he can dock another $500 off the premium. So that's about 2 months from today. I'll do all my research and get up to speed till then

Apparently the white one isn't available in Canada, I'm not really sure why but it does exist (at least in the states).

Also the insurance guy just told me that if i wait a bit longer till I'm 30, or a month prior to turning 30 before starting my policy then he can dock another $500 off the premium. So that's about 2 months from today. I'll do all my research and get up to speed till then

A wise choice, for once im looking forward to getting old

Snowcity in Scarborough is also a good dealer.

I bought from Kahuna because they let me test ride, and gave me a good deal back in the day, but I've bought parts & accessories, and had some service done at Snow City. I've had no problems, and they quoted a fair price when I was checking out prices for a friend.

The new Ninja 650 is a complete redesign with a trellis frame (contributing to the big weight loss) and new look, but only minor changes to the engine. Anything used would be a different bike.

Wise choice if you can stand to wait that long, but of course you could actually buy the bike before that and get it all ready.

It'll be cutting it close with your required M2 Exit road test however from a timeline perspective however - I assume you're planning to do the M2 exit road test on this bike so hopefully all the puzzle pieces fall into place for you. Speaking of which, I'd be looking to get that booked ASAP especially considering your tight timeline - you don't want to get yourself into a situation where there's no road tests available and you're up against the clock. I'd try to leave some buffer space in there as well just in case the test doesn't go as planned - not sure if there's a required delay before re-testing but I'd keep that in mind as well.

I know that when you book an M2 Exit course through a college or riding school, you get a full day of training on the Saturday where they first refresh your skills in a parking lot while riding your bike and then they take you out on the test route with the radio ear piece in and basically walk you through the test route and all of the pit falls to watch out for. Then on the Sunday you show up and take the test. Pass rate is in the high 90's, so IMO it is well worth it. I did it back in the day and felt it was worth it.

I actually cut it really close as my M2 is expiring June 14th of this year haha. So I have just enough time to get a bike, practice a bit and take the M test.

You gotta love our licensing system. This is exactly the kind of motorcycle operator we want. Rode around for a year on a Ninja250 five years ago. Now is about to purchase a brand new more powerful motorcycle, and grab his M with likely all of an extra month's practice before due.

to be fair a year is better than nothing, and hes only getting a ninja 650 not a zx10r

to be fair a year is better than nothing, and hes only getting a ninja 650 not a zx10r

Exactly my thought process. As much as I want to get back on 2 wheels I still respect the fact that it's a dangerous hobby and have never / would never do anything reckless. My understanding is that the 650 is also considered a beginners bike to a lot of people so I don't see it to be an issue.

well its not a beginners bike, but its not exactly an advanced bike either. Many people get on on a 650 and ride it their whole lives.

Back
Top Bottom