There just aren't enough of us | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

There just aren't enough of us

Just re-reading a lot of the posts, and it seems most agree the real issue isn't SMIDSY, but overall lack of 'skill' (using the term loosely) on both the part of motorcyclist and driver. From actual driving ability to using a cell-phone.

A healthy majority of good, defensive driving skill apply directly to motorcycling. So what if you only ride 1000kms a year. That lack of riding would on average only directly affect crashes from rider error. That person is still otherwise piling on the kms in a motor-vehicle. Unfortunately, as we all seem to agree, it's kilometer after kilometer of poorly trained ability and bad habits.

We've all said it. The licensing system is a significant root cause.

I don't know if this is completely true. Even ambulances, buses and trains get hit. We are a small vehicle and less of a threat to a car. The driver's brain simply filters us out as not a threat. The inattentional blindness mentioned is more of a factor all riding season.

Instead of SMIDSY it may be more like SMIWLFY. Sorry Mate I Wasn't Looking For You.

If you want to find something you have to be looking for it. If you're trying to find a pair of pliers on a totally messed up shop floor it really speeds things up if you picture the pliers in your mind.

Cagers are looking for other cars, not bikes or motorcycles. Bikes, with smaller frontal areas, add to the risk.

Add in fuel efficiency. A streamlined car is more fuel efficient and some of that streamlining comes from smaller mirrors that make shoulder checks etc less precise.

Cars are safer now and some of that comes from better roll over strength built into roof pillars. Stronger pillars are bigger pillars which in turn block the view.

Everything is a trade-off.

Vloggers are the worst offenders. I feel they don't remove themselves from bad situations so they can have over-the-top reactions to garner more views.

That damn goose that hit my bike last year, first thing he honked was "Sorry Mate I DID See you, BUT, I decided to hit you anyways" ..lmao

That damn goose that hit my bike last year, first thing he honked was "Sorry Mate I DID See you, BUT, I decided to hit you anyways" ..lmao

Like geese, many GTA drivers do see you but think they're more important and figure you should yield to them regardless of whether you have the right of way or not. In my experience, watching for the indicators that they are about to move and a blast of a loud horn just as they are starting tends to get them to stop, but not always. You still need to be prepared with an evasive maneuver. But geese are different. They don't care if you honk back and will do what they want anyway!

Back
Top Bottom