Is there such thing as reasonable priced saddlebags? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Is there such thing as reasonable priced saddlebags?

Hi All,

Looking to purchase saddlebags for my fz-07 in the upcoming season as it is the first time buying a luggage system for my motorcycle. I am looking for recommendations on where to buy a luggage setup and what are your opinions on options vs price ? Thank you.

If your looking for hard bags, take a look at the Kappa line of bags. Built by the same people that build Givi but priced substantially less. Bought a set for my CB500x and they work great.

There are many options out there. GIVI stuff is all high quality (I have a 3 piece set on my bike) but they aren't cheap. GIVI also makes soft bags if that's more what you are looking for. I will tell you after have a 3 case set up, if I were going to choose between panniers and the top box I'd choose the top box ever time! Almost all hard panniers are clam shell opening and stuff can spill out if you open them while still attached to the bike and they make the bike wider. The width has never really been an issue for me except for when squeezing between our camper and the house to get to the garage. The top box on the other hand is super convenient. It stays open while I'm rummaging around for whatever, nothing spills out, and it is larger than my panniers so it holds more and it doesn't affect the width of the bike. Also, most top boxes can be wired up with an extra break light behind the reflectors for added safety/visibility.

Try this if you want a topcase. 35l $49.99 44l 59.99. I bought the 44l and it ships from Scarborough so no border fees.
Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.ca/itm/301425703016

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

I have an FZ07 as well and while I only got it the end of September and didn't ride much due to my recovering from a crash in late August, what I have done in the past and plan to do now is use a backpack strapped down with a cargo net...it holds enough for a week's worth of travelling, but then again, I stay in hotels...if you're looking for something to act as a tank bag, I purchased an Oxford handlebar bag (it's actually a decent size) from Royal Distributing last fall and put the passenger strap on the rear seat through the straps of the bag...it's not removable like a tank bag to bring with me indoors if I go into a restaurant or something, but then I would just take my wallet and phone with me so that takes care of the thievery idea...Ivana

Thank you all for this. I am going to look into the Kappa bags and that ebay ad that was sent. If i go with side bags, i need to get that rail attachment correct so the bags dont hit the wheel?

Used Givi aren't too bad. Definitely go for some hard bags. Soft luggage works if you're desperate but once you try out hard luggage, you'll never look back.

[h=2]Re: Is there such thing as reasonable priced saddlebags?[/h]depends?

[h=2]Re: Is there such thing as reasonable priced saddlebags?[/h]depends?
You use adult diapers as saddlebags?
?

Sent from the Purple Zone

I picked up some GIVI E21 bags fairly cheap off eBay a few years ago and never looked back. Highly recommend them but it all depends on how big you want them. One is always with some tools, air compressor, tire patch kit etc. The other has lunch and work items.

Definitely will need a rack for them but I love the hard luggage setup for commuting and weekend rides. I prefer the look of the bike with them on.

Is that the only reason? That wouldn't be a concern for me as I would take them in with me when I arrive at my motel. I think hard bags are much heavier so that's one big disadvantage. Also many soft saddlebags are expandable so you can make them smaller if you don't need the space and bigger if you do.

Is that the only reason? That wouldn't be a concern for me as I would take them in with me when I arrive at my motel.
There are other times during the day when you might want to walk away from your bike.

I think hard bags are much heavier so that's one big disadvantage.
A 50 l Maxia weighs in at 10.4 lb.

I've run soft bags for decades, but every once in a while wished I had lockable hard bags. The afternoon stop at the Grand Canyon so you can walk around a while comes to mind.

Hard bags are the shiznit! I went through 3 days of pouring east coast rain and not one drop or leak in any of my three cases! The are lockable which as said by others is very handy if you want to stop somewhere and don't want to leave say expensive camera equipment in an unlocked bag. They are just super practical. Also, because the bike usually looks a little odd with the bags off due to the racks, you tend to just leave them on all the time so you never have to worry about forgetting them or wishing you had them. I love mine when I commute to work. My backpack with my shoes and lunch fits in the side bag. When I get to work, take out the back pack and stow my jacket in one side and my helmet in the other.

If you are looking at panniers I HIGHLY recommend the GIVI V35 cases. They are more streamlined and sculpted to the bike and don't stand out/stick out as wide as my E41's. Although, the combo lock access panel on the top of my E41's is super handy on a ride when you want something out of the bags but don't want to open the whole thing and risk your clothes spilling out all over the parking lot. Just pack items at the top that you want to be handy.

I had soft saddlebags, used them for exactly three trips before shelving them. They're not secure, they're a pain to put on and off, scratch the paint, and they don't even hold that much (mine were 30L each, but they're all oddly shaped).

Next step was a 60L duffle, which actually worked phenomenally well. It's a huge convenience having only one bag (two with tank bag) to take on and off the bike. The one large storage area allows maximum storage for the space available.

Next came a Givi E52 top case, the single best luggage purchase I've ever done. It's big (don't go small, you look like a dork regardless), waterproof, and secure. It never leaves the bike, though it's a 5 second step to remove it. There's a reason why top cases are the defacto luggage solution outside of north america.

Next came Givi V35's paired with the E52. The V35's can store a fair bit, better if it's all squishable stuff, hard items end up taking a lot of space due to the shape of the V35's. Easy to put on and take off. And if there's a PLXR rack available for your bike, you can even take the rack off.

For all hard luggage, the cheapest option is to buy the bags used and unless you get luck finding a used rack, just get one new. My E52 cost me $150, and the V35's were $300. From memory, the top case rack was about $150 and the V35 racks around $200. For the luggage, I just messaged everyone selling a bike with bags to see if they would part them until I got lucky.

Bottom line... Cheapest good option is a duffle bag strapped to the back seat. More expensive is a top case. Only after you have a top case would I get the V35's. The top case plus duffle is my ideal luggage setup. Everything else ends up weighing too much. Remember, the more space you have, the more stuff you'll bring. More stuff equals more weight, making the bike handle like a pig.

I had soft saddlebags, used them for exactly three trips before shelving them. They're not secure, they're a pain to put on and off, scratch the paint, and they don't even hold that much (mine were 30L each, but they're all oddly shaped).

Next step was a 60L duffle, which actually worked phenomenally well. It's a huge convenience having only one bag (two with tank bag) to take on and off the bike. The one large storage area allows maximum storage for the space available.

Next came a Givi E52 top case, the single best luggage purchase I've ever done. It's big (don't go small, you look like a dork regardless), waterproof, and secure. It never leaves the bike, though it's a 5 second step to remove it. There's a reason why top cases are the defacto luggage solution outside of north america.

Next came Givi V35's paired with the E52. The V35's can store a fair bit, better if it's all squishable stuff, hard items end up taking a lot of space due to the shape of the V35's. Easy to put on and take off. And if there's a PLXR rack available for your bike, you can even take the rack off.

For all hard luggage, the cheapest option is to buy the bags used and unless you get luck finding a used rack, just get one new. My E52 cost me $150, and the V35's were $300. From memory, the top case rack was about $150 and the V35 racks around $200. For the luggage, I just messaged everyone selling a bike with bags to see if they would part them until I got lucky.

Bottom line... Cheapest good option is a duffle bag strapped to the back seat. More expensive is a top case. Only after you have a top case would I get the V35's. The top case plus duffle is my ideal luggage setup. Everything else ends up weighing too much. Remember, the more space you have, the more stuff you'll bring. More stuff equals more weight, making the bike handle like a pig.

This is my exact same setup for my CB500X and it works amazingly. Nothing wrong with just soft bags though as long as you're not the type of person that is always paranoid about things going missing. It may happen and if you're going to get bent out of shape about it, just get the hard bags.

Remember, the more space you have, the more stuff you'll bring. More stuff equals more weight, making the bike handle like a pig.
\\

This

When I had a Multistrada with 73L side cases and a 42L top case I managed to always find enough things to bring with me on trips to fill all of it..."sure i'll bring a 2nd pair of boots, gloves, jacket......laptop?? Absolutely...........foam roller???? ya damn right"
plus all of your buddies will want to throw stuff in your bags "ohh you have so much space..."
on the other hand a foam roller is a basic necessity on a 5+ day trip if you have the room for it

Back
Top Bottom