buying a Ninja 300 question | GTAMotorcycle.com

buying a Ninja 300 question

I think you can do better honestly. I purchased an R3 for my girlfriend at the end of last season for $3200. The bike had 5900kms and a full Yoshimura exhaust. I had to safety the bike but with that low kms and a good inspection I knew there would be no issues.

I would think you could get that Ninja 300 for around $3000-3500. Shorty levers and tinted wind screen are worth $100 or less a piece so adding no real value to the bike, have him slap on the stock if he wants to jack the price up because of it.

I assume calling insurance and all that for quotes have been done already. Depending on your age and experience you may be shocked. My GF mid 20's with M2 and MSC will be about $106 a month, not in TO, no accidents or strikes against her insurance.

Last edited:
The bikes on kijiji for $3000-$3500 are only ninja 250r 2008-2010 models. $4000 is a lot of money though. I was hoping to spend $2500 -$3000 when I first started looking. After comparing this to other bikes this price does seem reasonable though.

This ad has been up since Jan 30...and these bikes are suppose to be fast sellers. Something must be up with it.

As for insurance, I have not looked, but I'm willing to pay whatever, I just wanna ride. I'm 29, no records, have done M2 and MSC as well.

Last edited:
call for insurance quotes before buying, inspect the bike, ninja 300 is good, 4k is a little high, but not too bad.

Id look at R3s, theyre more fun.

call for insurance quotes before buying, inspect the bike, ninja 300 is good, 4k is a little high, but not too bad.

Id look at R3s, theyre more fun.

How so??

You can do better than $4000 for sure, I only was R3's for $4000-4500, one day I saw one for less, called didn't email and went and checked it out. Guy was getting married and needed cash. Hit him with a low offer assuming he'd meet me in the middle and we'd both be happy. He said yes to the low offer and I was even more happy. Your rate will be around what I posted above. Call Paul South and he'll probably quote you for Aviva. He should be able to do it same day rather quick. Be patient and ready to pounce when a deal comes.

The seller, has basically admitted he understands he might be a little high, (by saying he/she is open to offers). There is no real rush for him to sell, nor is there a real rush for you to buy, (sure the weather will be somewhat decent for riding for maybe a few more days, (Sunday is supposed to be closer to normal at +2), so not like your at the beginning of the true riding season.

People post a price on kijiji, pretty much assured they aren't going to get that price, but they also won't post $3500 if that is their bottom line either. The art of negotiations is for both parties to feel they have gotten a decent deal. So would I go in offering him $2500? No way, your going to insult him. But if your top of the line is say $3500, your not going to offer that immediately, (unless you are prepared to walk and say one time final offer $3500).

It depends on his circumstances, does the seller want/need the cash now, or are they truly prepared to wait another few months when someone 19 will come along and pay him his asking because they are determined to be on the road that day...lol

Test rode em both last year, had a lot more fun on the R3, its lighter and the engine feels and sounds more fun. I dont know how one can objectively quantify "fun" but it was more fun

The seller, has basically admitted he understands he might be a little high, (by saying he/she is open to offers). There is no real rush for him to sell, nor is there a real rush for you to buy, (sure the weather will be somewhat decent for riding for maybe a few more days, (Sunday is supposed to be closer to normal at +2), so not like your at the beginning of the true riding season.

People post a price on kijiji, pretty much assured they aren't going to get that price, but they also won't post $3500 if that is their bottom line either. The art of negotiations is for both parties to feel they have gotten a decent deal. So would I go in offering him $2500? No way, your going to insult him. But if your top of the line is say $3500, your not going to offer that immediately, (unless you are prepared to walk and say one time final offer $3500).

It depends on his circumstances, does the seller want/need the cash now, or are they truly prepared to wait another few months when someone 19 will come along and pay him his asking because they are determined to be on the road that day...lol

^ this, so much this.

Kind of hard to tell because of the pixelated image but the rear tire looks pretty flattened out...take off at least $350 for a new set of tires because you might as well swap out that stock front IRC as well. So, offer him 3650 and go from there.

Kind of hard to tell because of the pixelated image but the rear tire looks pretty flattened out...take off at least $350 for a new set of tires because you might as well swap out that stock front IRC as well. So, offer him 3650 and go from there.

Good catch,

If he doesnt want to budge, ask him for safety.

Hi all,

So I went to check it out. Here are some things I found out:

Tire pics: http://imgur.com/a/jxP3y

- I did not get to start the bike as no battery was installed. Will be going back tomorrow with a friend to test drive it.
- It was dropped once on sand towards the right side. Never crashed. No visible cracks in frame. No major scratches either. Bike looked good!
- Oil change and chain service was done last year before bike stored for winter. A few other things were done but slipped my mind.
- Engine oil level was full? This seemed weird. Even after standing the motorcycle upright. He said we have to start the bike for a few minutes and then we can check accurately.
- Tire tread didn't seem too bad, please take a look at the attached pics. He said the tires don't have to be changed for some time.
- Spark plugs, brake fluid, coolant untouched.
- Rear brake fluid level was OK, but the front I couldn't really tell, it seemed full to the top.
- Couldn't check for leaks as it was a rainy day today.
- Brakes pads/rotor/chain/sprocket/gas tank/electronics/2 keys for all 3 holes(ignition/gas/seat cover)/Stored in climate controlled garage during winter/battery trickle charged....<---everything good

I told him I like the bike but the only thing is the price right now. He said he can do 3800 but no one will sell a special edition color for this price later on. He said he knows he can sell it in April/May for $42/4300. The guys at the dealership told him to put it up for $4500. He also said I have to do safety, and he wont get the Used vehicle information package either. I told him the UVIP is usually seller responsibility but he said you can get that too, just need to put in the VIN. Or pay him $20 to get it.

I think I'm gonna offer 3700 cash tomorrow, and hope he accepts. What do you guys think?

Hi all,

- I did not get to start the bike as no battery was installed. Will be going back tomorrow with a friend to test drive it.
- It was dropped once on sand towards the right side. Never crashed. No visible cracks in frame. No major scratches either. Bike looked good!
- Oil change and chain service was done last year before bike stored for winter. A few other things were done but slipped my mind.
- Engine oil level was full? This seemed weird. Even after standing the motorcycle upright. He said we have to start the bike for a few minutes and then we can check accurately.
- Tire tread didn't seem too bad, please take a look at the attached pics. He said the tires don't have to be changed for some time.
- Rear brake fluid level was OK, but the front I couldn't really tell, it seemed full to the top.
- Brakes pads/rotor/chain/sprocket/gas tank/electronics/2 keys for all 3 holes(ignition/gas/seat cover)/Stored in climate controlled garage during winter/battery trickle charged....<---everything good

I told him I like the bike but the only thing is the price right now. He said he can do 3800 but no one will sell a special edition color for this price later on. He said he knows he can sell it in April/May for $42/4300. The guys at the dealership told him to put it up for $4500. He also said I have to do safety, and he wont get the Used vehicle information package either. I told him the UVIP is usually seller responsibility but he said you can get that too, just need to put in the VIN. Or pay him $20 to get it.

I think I'm gonna offer 3700 cash tomorrow, and hope he accepts. What do you guys think?

Lol, tell him to get safety done, if he doesnt, thats another couple hundred bucks out of your pocket(Use it as a negotiation tool) and it might NOT pass, in which case you spend more money. Uvip is only 20$ and hes not willing to get that, hes just lazy(or its stolen or has lien on it)

Rear tire seems square to me

The guys at the dealership did not tell him to put it up for 4500, they always low ball, why would they offer him 3000, then tell him to put it up for 4500?
The color of the oil and brake fluid is also telling, they should be clear, and the brake fluids are usually colorless(not coca cola color)
Theres no picture of the chain/sprocket so i cant tell if its clean(and therefore properly maintained)

Most of the stuff im willing to bet is good because its fairly new.

Have your buddy test ride it, see how it is, insist on a cold start(Feel the engine with bare hands to confirm)

The front brake fluid color was orange ish. The rear might have been clear.

The rear tire did seem a little squared. Is it suppose to be completely round with no edges?

Safety costs a couple hundred bucks?! I thought it could be done between $40-80.

I told him not to start it at least 1 hour before I get there tomorrow.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

1. Get an Insurance Quote
2. This model is not ABS so you can go lower. ABS Helps New riders.
3. 10K on the bike. Huge Maintenance ( Including the bloody valve clearance ) coming up at 12K
4. You will be forced (?) to swap the tires to get the safety done so add $150 there

Hi all,

Well it has to be running, or it's worth half of what he wants for it

A standing drop won't matter too much, could be as simple as a broken brake or clutch lever, mirror, bent brake pedal or gear shift lever, or small cosmetic damage, nothing that would cause great concern, but check it over

For your own peace of mind, do your own oil change, and lube the chain, at least you will know it's done

To check oil, bike needs to be run, and not just at idle, need to ride it, then pull into garage, put on center stand or hold bike up right and level, wait about 2 minutes and then see what the level is at, this will tell you if it's OK, be it through a sight glass or using a dip stick.

On the tires sidewall look for TWI, this is Tread Wear Indicator, and across from these you sill see in the grooves a small rectangular bit of rubber, if the groves are even with this then the tires are ready to be replaced, if the bit of rubber is lower than the groves, you still have enough left on the tires, all tires have the TWI marking

Brake fluid should be clear, not murky, if it's murky it's contaminated or old and needs to be flushed, this you can do yourself and will cost you a few dollars for a bottle of DOT 3 or 4 fluid

As long as the fluid is clear, it's OK, but better to check the brake pad wear, will it need new pads is the bigger question.

Leaks can be seen on the floor look around if he has moved the bike around look at floor for fresh stains, could be from the bike.

Good signs, as all is with the bike as it should be.

$3500 if he is not doing a safety and not doing a UVIP, as you know the UVIP is 20 bucks and a safety even at Canadian Tire is about 90 bucks, the one in Mississauga is good the mechanic is a motorcycle rider so he knows what to look for.

See my comments above

There is lots to look at in a used bike, and if you don't know then get a buddy to go with you that knows something about bikes and is mechanically inclined

you could be looking for play in the head bearings, or the front wheel bearings, or warped rotors, bent rims, look at the forks and the seals are they leaking, check the throttle does it snap back for WOT, do the brakes feel spongy or after a few pumps the lever or brake pedal goes hard....

There are many things to look for

I have given you a few points to go by, as have others, best of luck....

Last edited:
i wonder about "I did not get to start the bike as no battery was installed." and
"Stored in climate controlled garage during winter/battery trickle charged"

so why take the battery out? Battery Tender has a quick connect lead you attach to battery so you never have to remove the battery.

Battery not installed? No UVIP? He will not safety the bike? Lazy seller you shouldn't waste your time with this one.

Go get the UVIP yourself if you have to. The consequences of buying a bike with a bank loan lien against it (you buy the bike, you "buy" - get to pay - the lien) could cost you more than a new back tire and mess up your credit. Even if the seller is lazy, no reason for you to emulate his behaviour. Plus, stop kidding yourself with the cost of insurance - check it out first.

The front brake fluid color was orange ish. The rear might have been clear.

The rear tire did seem a little squared. Is it suppose to be completely round with no edges?

Safety costs a couple hundred bucks?! I thought it could be done between $40-80.

I told him not to start it at least 1 hour before I get there tomorrow.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

As others are saying. No UVIP and no safety is lazy/bad

Rear tire ideally should be round, if its deformed or changing shape like that, its getting close to needing replacement. Safety usually costs about 100$, keep in mind IF it doesnt pass, you will need to spend money to buy/replace things to get it to pass.

Case in point, when i bought the bike, it looked good and all, but i had frekeguy(Great mechanic) inspect for me(for a modest fee), if he hadnt inspected it,
i would NOT have known that it needed a new rear tire to pass safety, and would likely need new rear brake pads as well. The fact that the seller didnt have the safety done, ALL that came out of my pocket(But atleast i knew all that going in, whereas you might not know what hidden costs are coming up)

He shouldnt start it at ALL that day, you get there, put your hands right on the engine, if its hot, or even warm, you know hes started it before.

Also i didnt know the valve service comes up at 12k for the ninja.
thats 500$ bro, and its important service, a lot of guys dont do it, and try to pass it on to the next owner

If the brake fluid isnt clear....that means he hasnt maintained or replaced it, 2014 bike, i wonder if he did it at all during those years.

These are all tools you can use to negotiate with the seller about the price(respectfully), or walk away there are lots of good used bikes out there

Another person mentioned the battery, if its stored indoors(garage or w.e), and he has a tender, no need to remove the battery, most people would just hook it up and leave it,
so starting it shouldnt be hassle

Also get insurance quotes

Back
Top Bottom