Commuting vs Pleasure riding | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Commuting vs Pleasure riding

Sadly this is a problem that many of us face as careers and/or families become established. Recreation time decreases as obligations increase. Its just a part of life. Commuting to work can help, IF commuting to work is practical for you. If you need a suit or special equipment that you can't keep at work (hard hat, tools etc), commuting becomes a lot more difficult. Also, if you are like me and have a longer commute (85km one way = 1hr commute) you will want to be able to carry things like a rain suit etc. The weather can change a lot in the 9hrs from when you leave home to when you go to leave work. Also, where you have to commute to is a big consideration. Some people love playing "Frogger" on their bike in traffic to down town everyday. Others don't find that much fun. Do you have a safe/secure place to leave your bike unattended for 8hrs? Since you will be working 9-5 you won't have to worry about riding in the dark. For me, I work shift work, either leaving before sun up or getting home at midnight, and I live in Peterborough so furry things like to have social meetings in the middle of the road when it's dark out.

Ultimately you have to decide what you like to do. Is your motorcycle strictly for pleasure or is it also a tool for commuting? Does your bike lend itself to easy commuting? Is it comfortable in stop-go traffic? Can you easily carry needed luggage? Many of us have been where you are and have just had to accept less riding time. It dos make you enjoy the rides you do get out on even more.

Commuting is pleasure riding if you do it right.

Amen to that Morrissey.

Imagine sitting on a bike, watching for cagers to not kill you vs. sitting in a car, lightly dressed, listening to your favorite music .... tough choice, I hear you.

Exactly. Don't forget sipping on a coffee too.

Plus for the most part, it's not riding - it's a 45 minute clutch session.

lolol....so true.

I hate comments like this. Where it implies that if you don't enjoy commuting on your bike you are doing it wrong.
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

This.

I started riding 9 years ago to commute, and still do it March thru December. My 9-5 commute involves some 401, and a bike is sooo much easier for taking advantage of small openings. Clutching is easier on my bike then it is in my car, but I'd still rather have a stick then an auto. I have a box on the back for shoes, rain gear and anything I may need for meetings.

The desire to commute on a bike got me into riding. But riding then became a much bigger thing. I've done weekend day rides and some multi day trips, track courses and some endurance racing, 2 European riding holidays, and annual rides at Trail Tours has lead to me getting a dirt bike as well as my street bike. I'll stop commuting on a bike when I retire. I'll just tour, rip and dirt ride more then!

Amen to that Morrissey.

Exactly. Don't forget sipping on a coffee too.

lolol....so true.

I hate comments like this. Where it implies that if you don't enjoy commuting on your bike you are doing it wrong.
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

sounds like you are doing it wrong lol

Pleasure street riding in Ontario??, maybe a Muskoka ride but i would get bored of that quickly,usually my bike is parked evenings/weekends.

Love to commute though, do the Brooklin to Downtown Core and with so many different routes to choose, it's not very often i'm stuck in bumper to bumper traffic.

Sitting in a cage in stop and go traffic is the worst, i just feel my life slipping away lol.

Even with the fog and the drizzle today i enjoyed the ride.

Your looking at it from the wrong perspective. Firstly, why study immediately after work? If you concerned about it getting dark before you can get out for a rip, then why not say two evenings a week, go for a pleasure ride, as you leave work, stop at your fav fry truck or roadside spot, even a sandwich from timmie's. Then after a couple of hours go home and study.

Also remember from early June until about late August it is still, pretty light outside until about 9:30 - 10 pm so even if you studied till 7 you have 2 - 3 hours of riding time. MOST riders have a wife and kids, who want family time ever evening so your getting a LOT more saddle time then they are.

Prior to retiring roads too crazy for me + by the time I get dressed in ATGATT and then change at work into a suit it would add 15 minutes to a 25 minute drive.

Used to see some guy on a cruiser at about 6:30 AM on the 403. Black bike, black helmet, pants and jacket and riding in all weather. Just about invisible when riding directly in front of me in light rain in October. If you're going to commute in the AM when it is still dark for God's sake wear something to help you to stand out a bit.

Wondering how other riders tackle this, and if any are, or have in the past gone through something similar

250 for commuting, 959 for pleasure...

I also have a 9-5 type schedule and I get to work a lot faster and happier on a bike then I have these past few months. Not only that you'll often find yourself taking the long way home after work.

Its a little more work now because I have to dress for work but I love riding so much I'm putting a private washroom with a shower in my office at our business. I'll also be keeping a suit or two and a handful of pants and shirts in my closet so if I get sweaty in the summer I can just shower and change at work.

Last edited:
I find people that enjoy ridding... enjoy ridding, the ones that complaint that it's too dangerous, too boring, too much work etc need to pick up some other form of entertainment.

Just ****ing ride the damn bike and stop over thinking it.

I giggle every time I get on my bike and I have been ridding for over 30 years now, even when I am just going to work.

wow man lucky you! extra washroom is one pricey accessory for your bike...lol

its actually not too bad once I put things into perspective...

We're spending about half a mill renovating our business head to toe so the washroom was just a minor thing. Hardest part was fitting it into the space and still having adequate square footage for the staff/lunch room.

I ride to have fun. For me, going to work is no fun. I prefer to add quality km's on my bike through the Muskokas or Kawarthas. the thought of risking my skin (and bike) on the 401 or with some idiot in the city, with a cell phone just doesn't cut it with me. I've been riding 36 years and have had two motorcycle accidents. Both times I was stopped at a red traffic light and rear-ended (and this was before cell phone era). I prefer to have a focused mind, riding well and thoroughly enjoying the ride and day in lieu of thinking about work stuff, adding useless miles and worrying about seagulls, rain, ultraviolet, theft or any assortment of parking lot foibles. We pay a significant amount of money for the allotted KM's available on our bikes. I hate to waste them by just going to work. I take my 'grocery getter' to work, this ensures that the real riding available to me is highly appreciated. Just my opinion, others I'm sure have their own... Happy apexes.

^^^ I do all that. And still enjoy riding to work on occasion.

I'd do it more often, but at only 15 or 20 K each way it's not always worth the extra work gearing up and everything for such a short ride...but when I do, and at the end of my day I punch out and go out to the parking lot and my bike is there instead of the car, well, the day is instantly better. ;)

So, what if you work at Timmies and you park your bike outside all day every day you work? Wouldn't that ruin your reputation? Like what if some old self aggrandizing old truck driver makes note and calls you out online? Then what? Oh ya sure riding is fun yada yada old trucky's pounding out the mileage on the barge(cruiser) while you're making your way in the world at a starter job. Never mix riding with business.

Soul sucking is riding to work at the funeral home. You stab 'em we slab 'em!

Parking your bike in a Tim Hortons parking lot for more than 60 minutes automatically makes you a charter member of the Timmies Angels.

Back
Top Bottom