Commuting vs Pleasure riding | GTAMotorcycle.com

Commuting vs Pleasure riding

bigpoppa

My work recently changed, whereas previously i worked 4-12pm, I am now working 9-5, between that and my studies i find myself pressed for time, and as the days seem to get better and better as of late, and we get closer to spring/summer I'm worried I wont be able to ride, at least not to my satisfaction, as after work i usually eat and spend some time studying, so i figure once im ready to ride it will be 7pm and it will be too dark to enjoy anything (I live in a somewhat remote area where the back roads are awesome but not light at all during night time)

I suspect the only riding i will be able to do during the day is commuting(Or stick to being a weekend warrior), and iv always disliked this idea mostly because i think that riding is a leisure/pleasure activity, and i do it to unwind, not drive myself to and from the daily monotonous depressing grind that is work.

Wondering how other riders tackle this, and if any are, or have in the past gone through something similar

Perhaps i will have to find something that better suits me, or i will end up spending the entire summer riding time sitting in an office

Most of my riding the last few years was commuting. Riding to commute is waaayyyyy better than by transit or car.

When you commute that's a ride is it not .lol.

To work i suppose, you cant go where you want to go, you cant take your time to smell the roses, your worried about being late, or rushing

Motorcycles make everything better, even crummy days or a lousy job--which you should be working towards not having.

No matter what you do you're going to be a statistic so you might as well go out in a blaze of glory. You can make riding to work a lifestyle. This way you won't have to get any tattoos. Or any more tattoos, whatever the case may be. Consider yourself lucky to be an employed motorcyclist instead of hiking thru a farm field in southern Manitoba searching for streets of gold. If you need anything else, I'm on standby.

Motorcycles make everything better, even crummy days or a lousy job--which you should be working towards not having.

What do scooters make everything? A race track?

Commuting to work might be your solution.

I gave up commuting after getting a job mid town because I'm too paranoid about some jackass backing into my bike or molesting it. If you're not paranoid like me, I agree with everyone that commuting on a bike beats everything else.

After I did that, my riding time ended up being restricted so much I switched to track only. There are a few major cons to this:

• Track riding, after 4 sessions, costs more than street riding. Because I was going twice a month, it ended up costing me 3 times what it would normally
  • Prepping usually takes a few hours. I managed to shorten it down to 2 hours
  • Track riding is not relaxing...at all

For me, the first and last point were enough that the next time I seriously hit the track, I'll have two bikes. Experiment and figure out what works for you.

It's just a matter of changing your mind set. If the passion to ride is there, you'll find a way to keep the smiles.

Night riding can be enjoyable. Especially later at night. Yes, critter danger increases and there are other hazards but, clear nights with stars etc. And you can hear the mechanicals of the bike etc.

Commuting with stop and go traffic? I'd rather take the cage. If not stop and go, you find creative ways to the same destination and plug in the ear buds with some good tunes, and it makes time pass by and you are on two wheels.

I drive a lot for work and I've combined riding while I work occasionally. When I don't have to wear a suit and the weather is nice. And my clients actually admire arriving on the bike.

Otherwise, it would be very occasional rides for me.

For instance, I might have a golf tournament for work. Yes, it's a tough life. But some PR is required. I'll rent clubs and ride up. And I have a reason. To leave before the animals get loose after dinner.

I go to the same locations often. I'm just fortunate my schedule does allow for some flexibility.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I loved commuting on the bike when I had a traditional 9-to-5 desk job, especially the morning rides to work. I had worked out 4-5 different routes to keep it fresh and avoid traffic as much as possible. Just had to allow a bit more time for the longer routes.

Now that I WFH I tend to eat a quick snack for lunch and go for a 45-60 minute loop around town. Great way to break up the work day.

Dude, riding is enjoying.
Commuting is pleasure riding. What the Hell gets you so stressed that you can't enjoy it???????

Choice, BMW car, Porsche car, RC51 to work??????? not even a question. If at all possible, the bike is way way way better than any car.
Even if I had a Lambo, the bike would win, hands down.

I just don't get people who would rather be stuck in a car than getting through traffic on the bike.

x5 on "make the commute a ride", hands down. The only exception would be if your commute regularly involves an hour of sitting in stop and go traffic, but if that's not the case then a ride to and from work can be a perfect solution to a day in which you may otherwise not get to ride at all.

Any ride is a good ride. Change your mindset.

Work, kids, sports, hobbies etc. I still fit the rides in, mainly on the weekends. Now that the kids are getting older I'm slowly starting to get more of my time back.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

I ride to work just because that is the only time I get in threw the week and the weekends I gear up and rack on the km's. Ridding threw the week even if its only 20 minutes to work..its better then letting my baby be lonely lol...BUT this is a huge but, I sure as heck don't live any where near GTA.

I usually find interesting ways to take the bike to work.
There are plenty of entertaining streets in the inner city.

Depends on the situation for me.

I didn't enjoy commuting on the bike when it involved highway stop and go. Doesn't do anything for me. Now that my commute involves back roads/country I just take new routes and "the long way home" to keep myself entertained.

My previous commute was awful and I can say personally I'd rather be in the car in stop and go on the highway. My mindset was different when I first got my license years ago, but that excitement kind of wore off for me. I mainly rode on weekends or after work occasionally.

Bikes can also use the in town diamond lanes and park on the street for free. Going in may be on a schedule, but who says leaving has to be.

I commute from Orangeville to Mississauga in the summer. It's an absolutely fabulous ride until you hit 410, then it's a bit scary. Still, you arrive at work feeling a lot more alive and appreciating a nice cup of coffee. The evening ride home is very nice, especially on hot days as the sun sets. Plus you feel a small sense of victory paying $20 a week for gas when everyone else is paying $70.

Back
Top Bottom