Bent key | GTAMotorcycle.com

Bent key

orang

Bent my 99' Ninja 250 key trying to open the gas lock when it was stuck. This happened before and I was able to bend it completely straight again and it's been working fine, but this time I can't get it to work in my ignition. The key is mostly straight, but it looks like the teeth nearest to the base of the key are still slightly out of place, and I think that's why the key still doesn't work. I also think this because the key works in the seat lock, so I know the lower half of the key is fine at least.

I don't think I can fix this up myself without ruining it, since it's an already very worn key. Should I just take it to Canadian Tire and see if someone can help me straighten it? I called an actual locksmith and they said "it's probably not your key being bent, but a stuck wafer which we can help you fix", but I doubt that is the case because everything was working perfectly until I bent the key.

Any advice would be great, I would rather not have to pay to rekey the bike but it's looking like I might have to.

Last edited:
Remove the gas cap assembly, take it and the key to a reputable locksmith.
What part of town are you in, I'm certain the there are folks here that can point you in the right direction.

I'm on Burloak, so right near Oakville. And okay thanks, I'll do exactly that. If anyone has recommendations on locksmiths that are good with motorcycles or that have been proven, post them here!

I got a quote from a locksmith in Hamilton who will come and rekey the bike for $140, which is a slightly expensive solution but it's there.

No code stamped on the key. Is it true that I can find the key code on the bike? I've heard equal amounts of people say that it's on the bike and that it's not, so I looked briefly but didn't find anything. I don't have the manual either and I know sometimes it's written in there. I can open the seat lock because the lower half of the key is completely fine, so if there happens to be a code somewhere under the seat I'll be able to easily get to it.

If you dont have the key tag that comes with the 2 keys when you buy the bike from a dealer, you can try taking the broken key to a key place. Not Canadian Tire! They are butchers with very little training/experience on making keys especially motorcycle keys. I have broken a few Kawasaki keys, and taken them to my local key shop with a key blank I bought off Ebay, and for $5.50 they made me a new key using the broken one to copy.

Most key shops don't stock Kawaski or any motorcycle key blanks, even if they do it will be a silver generic key, but you can buy them online Ebay etc for $5-20 and they will have the original Kawi logo on them. I have a few if your 250 key blank is the same as my ZX6R, but I think I only have red ones right now...

I just searched and it seems your key blanks are the same as mine
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...lanck.TRS0&_nkw=ninja+250+key+blanck&_sacat=0

If that doesnt work then use a lock smith, $140 should only be the price if they come to you. If you go to them it should be cheaper, I have paid $80 in the past bringing the bike or just the ignition to them

You cant just use the gas cap for this because gas caps only use 3-4 of the tumblers, where as your ignition uses 5-6. Youll notice the key does not go as far into a gas cap or trunk lock as it does in the ignition. So using just the cap or trunk lock will not make a key that will also work in your ignition, there is not enough information is the gas cap alone for the complete "key code"

Last edited:
Don't have the code for the keys (unless it's somewhere on the bike) so I'll try taking the key to a key place. I'll call a few places tomorrow. Thanks for the advice and for the prices for reference, too.

Don't have the code for the keys (unless it's somewhere on the bike) so I'll try taking the key to a key place. I'll call a few places tomorrow. Thanks for the advice and for the prices for reference, too.

I have read people say many times that key codes are on the ignition, I have owned many Kawis and there was never a code on the ignition. Maybe a part number for the ignition housing or casting, but not a code for the actual lock inside. I doubt they would make it that easy, putting a key code on the outside of an ignition switch visible for someone to read, so they could simply write it down have a key made and come back and steal your bike with a key made from that code...

As far as I know when you buy a bike or an ignition/lock set from a dealer you get a little aluminum tag with the 2 keys, that is the only place I have ever seen the key code. And as far as I know that code is to order a new key from Kawaski, not to have a lock smith make you one...Its only 4 digits so how would a 4 digit code give you the code for a 6 tumbler lock...

You can try Kawasaki dealers or kawasaki Canada, they may be able to get the key code using your ownership, for me the quick and easy option was always using a lock smith, or using the broken key to use to cut a new one

The key place I went too was only worried about messing up my key blank because she could not replace it if she messed it up. The machine they use to copy keys clamps the key on the part that was remaining after being broken, so it still fit and was held in the machine for copying

Like so you can see the part that broke off is not where it holds the key to be cut, its a very simple machine/process
maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:
Find a friend with a vise and squash the key back into shape. It'll probably work just fine.

Then go to a locksmith shop and have a replacement or two cut from that one- after a key has been bent and bent-back a few times it will begin losing strength. It gets way more expensive when it breaks off in the ignition some day.

Good locksmiths have software that takes the 4 digit key code and the manufacturers name and the software uses the code to come up with the correct dimensions of the key to cut. It then sends that info to a key cutter that makes the new key.

Thanks PrivatePilot, I used a vice to get the key back into shape and then went and bought a blank at the local dealer, which I'll get cut tomorrow.

For people who break or lose their keys for ~'99 ninja 250s, when I called the local kawi dealer they said the key code may be stamped on the ignition. It isn't on my bike but that came from the dealer.

Last edited:
Thanks PrivatePilot, I used a vice to get the key back into shape

:) Sometimes the simplest solutions are the best solutions.

Back
Top Bottom