Would not start! | GTAMotorcycle.com

Would not start!

shadowelement

Hello, we had a nice warm day today in TO so me and some of my friends decided to go for a run...but! One of our friends bikes would not start(he didn't store it properly in winter, duh) so we decided to give it a go with what we had. Before anything , we checked the battery - 8V, so dead. We had no access to car since friends wife was away with both car and cables, we decided to test everything while waiting on her.

Before we did anything, bike showed no signs of life - lights/instrument panel not responsive.

We hooked it up to a 12V large drone battery(fully charged) to see if that was enough to start it. Lights did go on, but it was not enough for starter to click, it made few "clinking sounds" and we decided not to mess with starter and our hookup batter since it was clearly not an option.

Wife came back when I was away and left 2 of my friends alone, when they were there, they tried connecting bike to a non running car/and running car but apparently they connected - and + wrong (+ was hooked to bikes frame, while - was hooked to + on bikes battery). When I came by they just finished trying to start it with running car(I know people say its a big no-no, but from electrical point of view, there should be no harm done). Anyhow, I pointed out that the wires are connected to wrong sides, they fixed it and gave it 1 more go, bike lights would not even so much as light up. That was odd, so we decided to try connecting it again to that drone batter to see where the issue was, not the bike would not even light up. I had to go home and bring large battery fully charged that was enough to light up the bike, however when connected, yet again - no lights on bike. I tested the exits on both battery and wires on bikes, both showing 12-13V. I also checked his fuses(ones by the batter chamber) they all seem to be ok.

Question is - what could the issue be, since clearly there is power to the bike, but its not responsive - what can we do to start/fix his bike?
He drives CBR250 2015

Thank you for any help

Main fuse hopefully the crossed cables dint wreck the ECU or anything else.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Google is your friend...
http://www.cbr250.net/forum/cbr250-problems-issues/28097-where-fuses-your-bike-located.html

lol...post #2
battery terminals backwards, hooked up jumper cables backwards, shorted a metal object across the terminals, shorted the power/ignition wires on the bike, tried to start your bike off of a running automobile, or severely ****************************** up something electrical, I would check the main fuse (and other fuses) first. The FIRST step in troubleshooting ANY electrical problem is to check the fuses.

Last edited:
Hello, we had a nice warm day today in TO so me and some of my friends decided to go for a run...but!

Before we did anything, bike showed no signs of life - lights/instrument panel not responsive.

(I know people say its a big no-no, but from electrical point of view, there should be no harm done).

You have a couple self taught lessons in there, people say its a big nono because its a big nono. From an electrical point of view it is a bad idea because the load from the alternator on a running car can damage the little electrical bits on a motorbike.
You also have Volts vs. Amps. Your drone battery will be twelve volts but have unlikely to have the amperage required to turn over the starter motor on a motorcycle.

as others have said you probably popped the main fuse, which is there to protect the rest of the parts from something like you just did. Only replace the fuse with a fuse of the same capacity, dont let one of your buddies move fuses around to get the engine started because you then run the risk of cooking other parts. Put in a new fuse, put the battery on a charger till its fully charged and see where you go from there, it should fire up.

Last edited:
Almost certainly popped the main fuse feeding reverse polarity to the bike. They should be glad the battery didn't explode - had it had some life left in it they have a habit of doing that when you hook up cables backwards.

It's amazing to me that people just push things like motorcycles into the corner in the fall and then expect them to start 4-6 months later. A lot of boat/PWC owners do the same thing, just pull them out of the water and then let them sit for 6 months with old gas in the tanks and the batteries left connected. They're the ones who (on the flipside) usually don't even contemplate that their boat won't start until they have the boat launch all blocked up, sitting there, wondering why nothing works while everyone else waits.

BTW, your buddy may have cooked his drone battery trying to use it to start the bike. Assuming it's a LiPo they are typically damaged when exceed their C (amp draw, which you likely did) or deplete them beyond a specific voltage.

Thank you all for your replies. I have passed the information, but probably better off going there and helping him.

From what I understood, we will need to purchase main fuse for his bike and new battery. Since I can't seem to find any batteries in local stores we will have to order it from fortnine. Not so sure about fuse, as I can't seem to find any information in regards of - what type of fuse the main fuse on his bike is and where would one purchase it, I presume dealer?

In regards of your comments about car to bike jump starting, perhaps you are right, I do not have in-depth knowledge of the subject but was basing my assumption based on internet. For the drone battery - it seems to be fine and working as it did before.

I will make sure that I am present when the whole operation will be on the go (fuzes and battery replacement) I can also make a photo review if it will help anyone in the future.

Go follow the link RICEBURNER sent you to the CBR250 forum. If the bike is original there is a SPARE main fuse that should be in a holder beside the installed main fuse. Remove the body work, and you'll find the main fuse, look for the SPARE, install the spare. Your battery should be fine after charging it up.
Pull the main fuse, CHECK if its cooked. Install spare main fuse. Done.

everything you need to know is in the link Riceburner sent you.

Just some updates, we managed to find the main fuse thanks to that link, it did have a spare one so we just replaced it, we were going to buy a new one asap but Family day...anyhow we are currently waiting on battery to charge to see if this will fix the problem. Question for you all - should he order a new battery or (assuming it will be ok)use old one?

Thank you once again.

Tell your friend to invest in (at least) a battery tender next fall, otherwise he'll be repeating the process next spring.

+1
...and learn to bump start it...it's only a 250. Maybe the old batt can be revived and run for a while. If it dies after the recharge, then a new one is needed.

You can boost from a car batt as long as it's not running....and if you hook up the cables properly.

Just some updates, we managed to find the main fuse thanks to that link, it did have a spare one so we just replaced it, we were going to buy a new one asap but Family day...anyhow we are currently waiting on battery to charge to see if this will fix the problem. Question for you all - should he order a new battery or (assuming it will be ok)use old one?

Thank you once again.

Take battery to Canadian Tire and have it load tested, you will then know if a new one is or is not required.

if you don't like Canadian Tire then take it to any place that can do a load test......

This thread reminded me I needed to replace the fuse in my battery tender hookup... lol

And just to be completely clear - if a (healthy) car battery can't start your bike, then a running car isn't going to start it either. Also CT isn't always the best at load testing small batteries

I've boosted off a running car many times.

I tried to boost a truck off two running cars once, lol. Two got it to turn over but the 5 year old bad gas still prevented it from starting.

Back
Top Bottom