Reading the rule book/LTWT Sportsman | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Reading the rule book/LTWT Sportsman

Waiting to see the official rulebook. I do not understand why the fair play clause would be removed. would be nice to see the overdue rulebook posted up on the RACE site. Hopefully it gets posted up this year.

It will be. Why?

Because Dave (Bakaboy) and Me helped write it.

Waiting to see the official 2017 rulebook. I do not understand why the fair play clause(s) would be removed. would be nice to see the overdue rulebook posted up on the RACE site. Hopefully it gets posted up this year.

I understand that rules being published earlier are a good thing. But keep in mind that it is an update. All classes and rules should be the same with the exception of some classes where the rules needed updating and some classes shuffled. Those being 300 Production, Lightweight Production, Sportsman Lightweight, Masters Middleweight and OBC. (300 Production and OBC specifically being eliminated).

For your ease I attach links to the SOAR and CSBK 2017 rulebooks:

SOAR
www.doesntexist.com

CSBK
www.lookformeinapril.com

I understand that rules being published earlier are a good thing. But keep in mind that it is an update. All classes and rules should be the same with the exception of some classes where the rules needed updating and some classes shuffled. Those being 300 Production, Lightweight Production, Sportsman Lightweight, Masters Middleweight and OBC. (300 Production and OBC specifically being eliminated).

For your ease I attach links to the SOAR and CSBK 2017 rulebooks:

SOAR
www.doesntexist.com

CSBK
www.lookformeinapril.com

thank you lol, sorry, I won't question RACE over their lwt rules content (or lack thereof) anymore.

thank you lol, sorry, I won't question RACE over their lwt rules content (or lack thereof) anymore.

That's not what I am saying. I'm not RACE. As racers we tried investing our time to help things along. If we have missed things or a supplemental change makes sense it can be issued as an addendum.

I look forward to you griding up in 2017.

boyoboy ,

Here's a suggestion...buy a weekend race license, come out for friday practice and treat it like a trackday.... no pressure, see how you do and how your bike measures up. If you like it, stay, if not go home, nothing lost. Don't let big meanie Bakaboy scare ya, he's probably the first one in the pits that will help if you need it.

I always figured a sportsman class would fall between a production class and a superbike class, both in bike sizes and ruling. When LWTRacer mentioned it using the same rules as VRRA P4F3, that made total sense.

Production being really restrictive in its ruling, Sportsman being slightly more lax to open the grid, and Superbike being totally lax.

Not to mention that OEM parts for the older vintage machines are getting increasingly harder to find, yet most aftermarket components remain widely available. The bikes that are competing in Production wont have a roadblock here like the bikes in Sportsman will.

Just as a couple quick examples using the RZ350 I'm building:

⦁ Wheels
⦁ Must be of stock design and type

RZ350 stock wheels are 18" and thus very limited to tire choice, while a number if not most of the other bikes in the class will have 17s and free range on tire choice.

⦁ Fuel System
⦁ Airbox must be retained but may be modified and used with or without air filter

Anyone having owned an RZ probably knows the answer to this is "good luck"

Just my 2cents.

I always figured a sportsman class would fall between a production class and a superbike class, both in bike sizes and ruling. When LWTRacer mentioned it using the same rules as VRRA P4F3, that made total sense.

Production being really restrictive in its ruling, Sportsman being slightly more lax to open the grid, and Superbike being totally lax.

Not to mention that OEM parts for the older vintage machines are getting increasingly harder to find, yet most aftermarket components remain widely available. The bikes that are competing in Production wont have a roadblock here like the bikes in Sportsman will.

Just as a couple quick examples using the RZ350 I'm building:

⦁ Wheels
⦁ Must be of stock design and type

RZ350 stock wheels are 18" and thus very limited to tire choice, while a number if not most of the other bikes in the class will have 17s and free range on tire choice.

⦁ Fuel System
⦁ Airbox must be retained but may be modified and used with or without air filter

Anyone having owned an RZ probably knows the answer to this is "good luck"

Just my 2cents.

The Sportsman classes were basically created to as you already stated find a middle ground between production and superbike.

Running an RZ on a stock air box is stupid, everyone and their mother uses a Yboot. But as far as wheels are concerned, even in the VRRA RZs stay on 18inch wheels and run Heidenau Tires. It wasn't until the 90s that guys were swapping FZR forks/wheels/swing arms/wheels onto RZs.

So as far as the Sportsman Rules are concerned, they way that its written in the Rule book as it currently is, will most likely be that way in 2017. I only said they will uses P4F3 Rules, because 90% of the grid are made up of P4F3 rider/machines.

Can we get some pictures of this RZ??? Looking forward to battling with you in Sportsman and maybe Superbike if you dare to take on the SV650s :)

You are fine in Lightweight Superbike or P4F3 with that. Doesn't matter RACE, SOAR, or VRRA. I can't use my Fizzer in production classes because of non-stock wheels and brakes, either. Can't get good tires for the stock 18" rear rim; everyone in VRRA with FZRs has changed to 17" wheels of some sort.

boyoboy ,

Here's a suggestion...buy a weekend race license, come out for friday practice and treat it like a trackday.... no pressure, see how you do and how your bike measures up. If you like it, stay, if not go home, nothing lost. Don't let big meanie Bakaboy scare ya, he's probably the first one in the pits that will help if you need it.

thx slick, but I wasn't scared. I have raced more than one season in the past, and there comes a time where you want to be on a bike as good as (or at least real close) as others in your primary class. This requires having rules in place.

When bakaboy set out to get another class for the 300's (for which he was successful) - RACE messed up the rule book that still hasn't been fixed to date.

The new 300 class was created (without rules to this day). RACE then took the lwt prod'n rules created for the 300 class, and allowed liquid cooled 400-fours and liquid cooled 500 twins to run - against their own rules - azz backwards twice.

The rule book for lwt bikes has been messed up for two years. I do not apologize for being critical, but I am sorry if others take it personally. It is incumbent on RACE to have clear rules in place, in a timely manner.

Looks like RACE may be on their way to fixing it this year. This rule fix will apparently include removing air cooled vintage 500's from lwt prod'n, and removing the "fair play" clause(s) from lwt sportsman. Go figure.

Last edited:
thx slick, but I wasn't scared. I have raced more than one season in the past, and there comes a time where you want to be on a bike as good as (or at least real close) as others in your primary class. This requires having rules in place.

When bakaboy set out to get another class for the 300's (for which he was successful) - RACE messed up the rule book that still hasn't been fixed to date.

The new 300 class was created (without rules to this day). RACE then took the lwt prod'n rules created for the 300 class, and allowed liquid cooled 400-fours and liquid cooled 500 twins to run - against their own rules - azz backwards twice.

The rule book for lwt bikes has been messed up for two years. I do not apologize for being critical, but I am sorry if others take it personally. It is incumbent on RACE to have clear rules in place, in a timely manner.

Looks like RACE may be on their way to fixing it this year. This rule fix will apparently include removing air cooled vintage 500's from lwt prod'n, and removing the "fair play" clause(s) from lwt sportsman. Go figure.

Wtf is a fair play clause? Are you referring to "some vintage bikes ask race offcial"

That line is negated by having CC limits for different engine configurations.

Sure LWTRacer, she aint much to look at yet, parts are on order, once they are here I'll do a quick and dirty dry run, rip it apart and build. The build on this one is going to look like an exponential curve.

DSC_2814.JPG

Wtf is a fair play clause? Are you referring to "some vintage bikes ask race offcial"

That line is negated by having CC limits for different engine configurations.

yes the vintage bikes - ask official, and
The current list of eligible bikes and restrictions may be MODIFIED to accomadate other types, and/or make and models. All decisions regarding these classes will be based upon the rules regarding competition and fair play.

yes the vintage bikes - ask official, and
The current list of eligible bikes and restrictions may be MODIFIED to accomadate other types, and/or make and models. All decisions regarding these classes will be based upon the rules regarding competition and fair play.

What other bikes are you wanting to bring out?

Arguing for a bike that doesn't exist seems pointless.

Lwt sportman allows all the bikes that are p4f3 eligible. Plus p3 lwt bikes.

What other bikes are you wanting to bring out?

Arguing for a bike that doesn't exist seems pointless.

Lwt sportman allows all the bikes that are p4f3 eligible. Plus p3 lwt bikes.

edit ...wouldn't a 1980 70hp gs750 or a 50 hp honda hawk be fair play? I thought riders would welcome more bikes on the grid for fair play. sorry if you find this arguing. ..

Last edited:
wouldn't a 1980 70hp gs750 or a 50 hp honda hawk be fair play? I thought riders would welcome more bikes on the grid for fair play. sorry if you find this arguing. ..

All bikes / riders welcome for sure. All will find classes to run.

Classes / rules are designed around bikes that are showing up.

Thus the reworking of some classes for 2017.

edit ...wouldn't a 1980 70hp gs750 or a 50 hp honda hawk be fair play? I thought riders would welcome more bikes on the grid for fair play. sorry if you find this arguing. ..

No, as both of those bike are middleweight sportsman bikes.

Lwt sportman allows all the bikes that are p4f3 eligible.

Not if it disallows non-stock wheels!

Almost the entire contingent of FZRs and EX500s in P4F3 are on non-stock wheels of some sort in order to get appropriate 17" sizes front and rear ...

Honda Hawk 650 is pretty easily modified to get 70+ horsepower and have been the dominant bike in VRRA P4F3 for the last couple of years. They tend to be explode-o-matics at that power level but that's another matter.

Not if it disallows non-stock wheels!

Almost the entire contingent of FZRs and EX500s in P4F3 are on non-stock wheels of some sort in order to get appropriate 17" sizes front and rear ...

Yes Brian I know. And the stock wheel size for ex500s in f3 is now 17....as of this year.

The sportsman classes are basically a class for people with vrra Era bikes who choose not to race in the vrra. And it's a second class for lwt production to bump into. So you don't have 300s bumping up with sv650s in lwt superbike

Back
Top Bottom