Reading the rule book/LTWT Sportsman | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Reading the rule book/LTWT Sportsman

Honda Hawk 650 is pretty easily modified to get 70+ horsepower and have been the dominant bike in VRRA P4F3 for the last couple of years. They tend to be explode-o-matics at that power level but that's another matter.

Also....again. Hawks in RACE are middleweight bikes and they also race in lwt superbike

Not if it disallows non-stock wheels!

Almost the entire contingent of FZRs and EX500s in P4F3 are on non-stock wheels of some sort in order to get appropriate 17" sizes front and rear ...

As the sportsman class stands now there is no mention that bikes must have oem wheels. However, you might find yourself pushed into lwt sbk under the fair play and competition clause. Particularly if you have a 61 hp fzr400 with dymags and a pro licenced rider at the helm. This clause should and could keep a level playing field.

would be interesting to see a 2017 rulebook..

EDIT- I like the way the sportsman rules are written. Its wide open and allows lots of different bikes to be eligible (read vintage). I believe having a diverse mix of bikes running together would make for interesting racing. It allows someone to "run what they brung". If someone shows up with a 50hp stockish 650 hawk they can still run without an unfair advantage. If they show up with a dominating 70hp 650 hawk, RACE direction can simply ask them to run in lwt sbk under the "fair play" clause. Alternatively, if some one shows up with a vintage 1980 suzuki 750 with 70hp, and has any hp advantage offset by their 500 pound plus weight and aged twin shock chassis...let em rip and mix it up. The fair play clause can be used on a variety of bikes to maintain a level playing field. Very nice.

Last edited:
I have no problem with being bumped to LW SB! I'm just pointing out that if the intent with Sportsman is to "allow" the vintage P4F3 bikes into that class, AND if the rules in that class are "same as Production except bigger displacements" (as stated in an earlier post), disallowing non-stock wheels will actually EXclude most of the vintage P4F3 bikes from the Sportsman class and push them into LW SB where there is no issue ... but where you are up against the SV650s. Essentially the VRRA P4F3 bikes would have no class in which they are competitive because they're excluded from Sportsman (because reality has dictated that just about everyone has swapped wheels) but they're no match for an SV650.

I have no dog in this fight; I'm running SOAR (excludes SV650 from LWSB) and VRRA P4F3 this year.

I have no problem with being bumped to LW SB! I'm just pointing out that if the intent with Sportsman is to "allow" the vintage P4F3 bikes into that class, AND if the rules in that class are "same as Production except bigger displacements" (as stated in an earlier post), disallowing non-stock wheels will actually EXclude most of the vintage P4F3 bikes from the Sportsman class and push them into LW SB where there is no issue ... but where you are up against the SV650s. Essentially the VRRA P4F3 bikes would have no class in which they are competitive because they're excluded from Sportsman (because reality has dictated that just about everyone has swapped wheels) but they're no match for an SV650.

I have no dog in this fight; I'm running SOAR (excludes SV650 from LWSB) and VRRA P4F3 this year.

discussion is good. the sportsman rules now in place mention that it was created to combine bikes from different classes.

Thanks for the replies, I have a copy of the unfinished rule book for 2017, I believe Chris is still proof reading and finalizing it.

I'll be running an 86 RZ350 this year. still lots of work to do though.

Coooool! Hopefully it's ready in time!!

I understand that rules being published earlier are a good thing. But keep in mind that it is an update. All classes and rules should be the same with the exception of some classes where the rules needed updating and some classes shuffled. Those being 300 Production, Lightweight Production, Sportsman Lightweight, Masters Middleweight and OBC. (300 Production and OBC specifically being eliminated).

For your ease I attach links to the SOAR and CSBK 2017 rulebooks:

SOAR
www.doesntexist.com

CSBK
www.lookformeinapril.com

Haha, and good luck getting CSBK rules in a timely manner, but here's the SOAR one for real. https://gallery.mailchimp.com/c8868...6803-42cd-9b78-d4faf772c419/2017_Rulebook.pdf

So no enforceable rules for LTWT Sportsman then...

What would you be looking for restrictions on a catch-all class?

However if the rider is planning on running another class he will need to build it to the class with restrictions.

So say you want to run a BOTT bike....but lwt sportsman as well.

You pick say an ex500.

Build it to lwt bott spec and it can run sportsman.

What would you be looking for restrictions on a catch-all class?

However if the rider is planning on running another class he will need to build it to the class with restrictions.

So say you want to run a BOTT bike....but lwt sportsman as well.

You pick say an ex500.

Build it to lwt bott spec and it can run sportsman.

"The Pro and Am Lightweight Superbike, Pro and Am Twins and Club Cup along with several of the Vintage Class bikes have been combined to create the Sportsman Classes listed below"

I am building an RZ350 as you may know. So I can build it for LTWT Superbike and be legal for Sportsman?

"The Pro and Am Lightweight Superbike, Pro and Am Twins and Club Cup along with several of the Vintage Class bikes have been combined to create the Sportsman Classes listed below"

I am building an RZ350 as you may know. So I can build it for LTWT Superbike and be legal for Sportsman?[/QUOTE

Yes.

Back
Top Bottom