Reading the rule book/LTWT Sportsman | GTAMotorcycle.com

Reading the rule book/LTWT Sportsman

Mr.Cool

Hi guys, just hoping someone here may be able to help me out a bit. I'm planning on running in LTWT Sportsman this year but looking at the rule book, the rules seem to be unclear. Does LTWT Sportsman follow the exact same rules as the LTWT/300 Production with the exception of the bikes that are allowed or do its rules stem from elsewhere? This line makes it sound like it could use the rules from LTWT Superbike, which are wildly different: "The Pro and Am Lightweight Superbike, Pro and Am Twins and Club Cup along with several of the Vintage Class bikes have been combined to create the Sportsman Classes listed below."

My understanding is that this class became obsolete when RACE and SOAR (attempted to) harmonize their classes a few years ago. Both organizations have classes defined in their respective rulebooks that aren't active.

What bike do you want to use in this class? Which organization are you planning to ride with?

Hi guys, just hoping someone here may be able to help me out a bit. I'm planning on running in LTWT Sportsman this year but looking at the rule book, the rules seem to be unclear. Does LTWT Sportsman follow the exact same rules as the LTWT/300 Production with the exception of the bikes that are allowed or do its rules stem from elsewhere? This line makes it sound like it could use the rules from LTWT Superbike, which are wildly different: "The Pro and Am Lightweight Superbike, Pro and Am Twins and Club Cup along with several of the Vintage Class bikes have been combined to create the Sportsman Classes listed below."

LWT sportsman rules use the same basic rules as the VRRA P4F3 class. In the description of the class, it gives you a list of bikes that would be accepted.

My understanding is that this class became obsolete when RACE and SOAR (attempted to) harmonize their classes a few years ago. Both organizations have classes defined in their respective rulebooks that aren't active.

What bike do you want to use in this class? Which organization are you planning to ride with?

As of 2017 LWT Sportsman has ben re-added to the RACE series.

As the RACE/SOAR combined rules were a complete and utter failure.

The Classes for 2017 are as follows.

LWT Production
LWT Sportsman
LWT Superbike (RACE allows the SV650s to compete here)
BOTT
Novice 600
Masters
Am600
Am SBK
Pro 600
Pro SBK
Open Sprint

RACE hasn't updated their rulebook since 2015. There are no rules in the book for 300 since it started. 2014?

There was a mention from RACE that the rule book was to be updated after xmas but hasn't happened.

I wouldn't hold your breath for an updated rulebook this year.

Bring your lwt bike out - modded out or not. No one will protest you as there aren't any rules available to launch a protest. lol Put your head down and go.

RACE hasn't updated their rulebook since 2015. There are no rules in the book for 300 since it started. 2014?

There was a mention from RACE that the rule book was to be updated after xmas but hasn't happened.

I wouldn't hold your breath for an updated rulebook this year.

Bring your lwt bike out - modded out or not. No one will protest you as there aren't any rules available to launch a protest. lol Put your head down and go.

Go easy now. We made suggestions on the rewrite the other day.

It takes some time to incorporate changes including deleting and bringing back old classes.

250 Production ran in 2014. We ran 300 Production in 2015 and 2016.

There will not be a 300 class this year. lightweight Production and Lightweight Sportsman.

Last edited:

It takes some time to incorporate changes including deleting and bringing back old classes.

There will not be a 300 class this year. lightweight Production and Lightweight Sportsman.

will be interesting to see the rules.

Thanks for the replies, I have a copy of the unfinished rule book for 2017, I believe Chris is still proof reading and finalizing it.

I'll be running an 86 RZ350 this year. still lots of work to do though.

Calling it a complete Failure Is wrong. I still think the Idea of Shared Classes is a good one. Getting Racers to go to both tracks is still the big hurdle and and it's one that leaves my head shaking constantly. I can see someone from the Ottawa Area not wanting to make the drive to grand bend. I did it and 6 -7 hours is not that bad really, But I don't understand why more racers from the GTA don't make the 3 hour or less drive to Shannonville. More tracks to race at is always a better thing

LWT sportsman rules use the same basic rules as the VRRA P4F3 class. In the description of the class, it gives you a list of bikes that would be accepted.

As of 2017 LWT Sportsman has ben re-added to the RACE series.

As the RACE/SOAR combined rules were a complete and utter failure.

The Classes for 2017 are as follows.

LWT Production
LWT Sportsman
LWT Superbike (RACE allows the SV650s to compete here)
BOTT
Novice 600
Masters
Am600
Am SBK
Pro 600
Pro SBK
Open Sprint

RZ350 is fine for SOAR Lightweight Superbike (and Vintage) and RACE Lightweight Sportsman - and VRRA Period 4 Formula 3.

The classes can be called different things but there are only minor differences - SV650 excluded from SOAR LWSB being one of them (but they have multiple other classes that they are eligible for).

Bring it out.

Calling it a complete Failure Is wrong. I still think the Idea of Shared Classes is a good one. Getting Racers to go to both tracks is still the big hurdle and and it's one that leaves my head shaking constantly. I can see someone from the Ottawa Area not wanting to make the drive to grand bend. I did it and 6 -7 hours is not that bad really, But I don't understand why more racers from the GTA don't make the 3 hour or less drive to Shannonville. More tracks to race at is always a better thing

Same reason why I don't drive 3-3.5hrs to grand bend. It's 1.5-1.75hrs to Shannonville for me and 5hrs to st.eustache. More tracks isn't always better.

was wondering, do you know if vintage air cooled 500 twins will be permitted to run in the lwt prod'n class? the 2015 rules still posted up in the rule book have them included in lwt prod'n.

was wondering, do you know if vintage air cooled 500 twins will be permitted to run in the lwt prod'n class? the 2015 rules still posted up in the rule book have them included in lwt prod'n.

No.

The new lwt production rules are for bikes 390cc and lower.

The gs500 will be a lwt sportsman bike with lwt superbike class as a bump class

http://imgur.com/qkSMU8U

Last edited:
For what detail? Production means minimal changes in general. Sportsman is pretty well wide open.

for the most part to see what bikes are eligible (post #12) in lwt prod'n
and things such as airbox mods, emulators, if aftermarket clip ons are permitted, quick turn throttles etc

the 2015 rules for lwt prod'n don't allow aftermarket clip ons, emulators, or quick turn throttles, but do allow airbox
modification.

would be interesting to see..

Last edited:
for the most part to see what bikes are eligible (post #12) in lwt prod'n
and things such as airbox mods, emulators, if aftermarket clip ons are permitted, quick turn throttles etc

the 2015 rules for lwt prod'n don't allow aftermarket clip ons, emulators, or quick turn throttles, but do allow airbox
modification.

would be interesting to see..

EDIT- I like the way the sportsman rules are written. Its wide open and allows lots of different bikes to be eligible (read vintage). I believe having a diverse mix of bikes running together would make for interesting racing. It allows someone to "run what they brung". If someone shows up with a 50hp stockish 650 hawk they can still run without an unfair advantage. If they show up with a dominating 70hp 650 hawk, RACE direction can simply ask them to run in lwt sbk under the "fair play" clause. Alternatively, if some one shows up with a vintage 1980 suzuki 750 with 70hp, and has any hp advantage offset by their 500 pound plus weight...let em rip and mix it up. The fair play clause can be used on a variety of bikes to maintain a level playing field. Very nice.

Last edited:
EDIT- I like the way the sportsman rules are written. Its wide open and allows lots of different bikes to be eligible (read vintage). I believe having a diverse mix of bikes running together would make for interesting racing. It allows someone to "run what they brung". If someone shows up with a 50hp stockish 650 hawk they can still run without an unfair advantage. If they show up with a dominating 70hp 650 hawk, RACE direction can simply ask them to run in lwt sbk under the "fair play" clause. Likewise, this clause can be used on a variety of bikes to maintain a level playing field. Very nice.

The 650 Hawk in LWT Sportsman is a typo. (as if you look its a mddleweight bike too).

The LWT production rules for 2017:

Any year CBR 125, any year Kawasaki Ex 250, Yamaha R3, KTM 390
Any year Hyosung 250 GT
Any year CBR 250
Any year Kawasaki Ex 300
Any year CBR 300
380cc Four stroke multi or twin
400cc Four stroke single

1. Wheels
* Must be of stock design and type
2. Front Suspension
* Externals must be stock including brake stays
* Internals may be changed
3. Rear Suspension
* May be upgraded to aftermarket unit
4. Brakes
* Lines may be upgraded to steel braided
* Calipers and master cylinder must remain stock
* Pads/shoes may be upgraded to track grade
* Rotors must remain stock
5. Frame
* Must be OEM but may be delugged and fitted with bung for damper
6. Electronics
* CDI and wire harness must be OEM of street design
* Electronic shifting cutoff may be used

7. Fuel System
* Fuel control device may be used
* Stock carbs if fitted must be used but may be rejetted
* Stock T/B must be used if fitted
* Airbox must be retained but may be modified and used with or without air filter
8. Bodywork
* Must appear stock in style
* Double Bubble style windshield permitted
* Must have liquid retaining lowers or damming of stock lowers to handle bikes fluid capacity.
9. Controls
* Must use original throttle set up (no quick turn)
* Levers may be changed to aftermarket style
* Rear sets may be fitted
10. Charging System
* Must remain installed and operational
11. Exhaust
* May be changed out for aftermarket
* Must not end past rear wheel
* Must not exceed particular track noise requirements.
12. Engine
* Must remain stock internally as well as externally
* Camshafts may not be changed
* Adjustable cam gears may be used
* Cylinder head may not be ported and oversized valves are not permitted
* Oil and cooling systems may be upgraded
* Transmission gears may not be undercut
* Transmission gears may not alter ratio
* Slipper style clutch not accepted unless of stock design
* Timing control not permitted
* Clutch plates and springs may be upgraded
* Final drive gearing without restriction
* Steering damper may be added
* Crash guards may be added

The LWT Sportsman Rules will be the same but for bikes with a higher cc's

Lightweight
* Up to 500cc 4-stroke twin cylinder, any year
* Up to 400cc 4-stroke multi cylinder, any year
* Up to 600cc 4- stroke air cooled, twin shock any year
* Unlimited 4-stroke single cylinder, any year
* Unlimited 2-stroke single/twin, ten (10) model years old or older (excluding GP bikes, these will compete in Middleweight)

The 650 Hawk in LWT Sportsman is a typo. (as if you look its a mddleweight bike too).

The LWT production rules for 2017:

Any year CBR 125, any year Kawasaki Ex 250, Yamaha R3, KTM 390
Any year Hyosung 250 GT
Any year CBR 250
Any year Kawasaki Ex 300
Any year CBR 300
380cc Four stroke multi or twin
400cc Four stroke single

1. Wheels
* Must be of stock design and type
2. Front Suspension
* Externals must be stock including brake stays
* Internals may be changed
3. Rear Suspension
* May be upgraded to aftermarket unit
4. Brakes
* Lines may be upgraded to steel braided
* Calipers and master cylinder must remain stock
* Pads/shoes may be upgraded to track grade
* Rotors must remain stock
5. Frame
* Must be OEM but may be delugged and fitted with bung for damper
6. Electronics
* CDI and wire harness must be OEM of street design
* Electronic shifting cutoff may be used

7. Fuel System
* Fuel control device may be used
* Stock carbs if fitted must be used but may be rejetted
* Stock T/B must be used if fitted
* Airbox must be retained but may be modified and used with or without air filter
8. Bodywork
* Must appear stock in style
* Double Bubble style windshield permitted
* Must have liquid retaining lowers or damming of stock lowers to handle bikes fluid capacity.
9. Controls
* Must use original throttle set up (no quick turn)
* Levers may be changed to aftermarket style
* Rear sets may be fitted
10. Charging System
* Must remain installed and operational
11. Exhaust
* May be changed out for aftermarket
* Must not end past rear wheel
* Must not exceed particular track noise requirements.
12. Engine
* Must remain stock internally as well as externally
* Camshafts may not be changed
* Adjustable cam gears may be used
* Cylinder head may not be ported and oversized valves are not permitted
* Oil and cooling systems may be upgraded
* Transmission gears may not be undercut
* Transmission gears may not alter ratio
* Slipper style clutch not accepted unless of stock design
* Timing control not permitted
* Clutch plates and springs may be upgraded
* Final drive gearing without restriction
* Steering damper may be added
* Crash guards may be added

The LWT Sportsman Rules will be the same but for bikes with a higher cc's

Lightweight
* Up to 500cc 4-stroke twin cylinder, any year
* Up to 400cc 4-stroke multi cylinder, any year
* Up to 600cc 4- stroke air cooled, twin shock any year
* Unlimited 4-stroke single cylinder, any year
* Unlimited 2-stroke single/twin, ten (10) model years old or older (excluding GP bikes, these will compete in Middleweight)

but the sportsman rules have a "will consider vintage bikes - just ask" clause. beautiful fair play variety...

Last edited:
but the sportsman rules have a "will consider vintage bikes - just ask" clause. beautiful fair play variety...

No it wont.

That is in the 2015 rule book. What I posted was what will be in the 2017 rule book. For both LWT Production and LWT sportsman.

Waiting to see the official 2017 rulebook. I do not understand why the fair play clause(s) would be removed. would be nice to see the overdue rulebook posted up on the RACE site. Hopefully it gets posted up this year.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom