How do people make their bike NOT a low hanging fruit (theft deterrents) ??? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

How do people make their bike NOT a low hanging fruit (theft deterrents) ???

- House with a garage
- Don't live in Toronto
- Insurance

I never give my bike a second thought. It does have an alarm, but it is not a sport bike and generally not top of the list for stolen bikes, even though it is one of the more expensive bikes out there.

Do yourself and your future lawyer a favour and keep a ball and glove with it. If it is kept by itself it is considered a weapon and the use of it is pre-meditated. If kept with a ball and glove that is simply where you store your sporting equipment and use of it was spur of the moment = lesser assault charge when used.

Once you start swinging for the bleachers it's *assault & battery*. Sure, you could try framing the comatose thief by planting a gun on his person, but that's a whole new ballgame. The line between a beat-down and manslaughter is probably blurry when the adrenaline kicks in.

One of the main reasons I bought a townhouse instead of an apartment.
Not only best theft prevention but also a worshop.
Added bonus is 2 empty bedrooms that I visit once every half a year. Once there was a squirrel in one of them. Son of a gun chewed through the window screen and forgot he can leave the same way.

If you absolutely have to park underground - get a bike that's not desirable.

Once you start swinging for the bleachers it's *assault & battery*. Sure, you could try framing the comatose thief by planting a gun on his person, but that's a whole new ballgame. The line between a beat-down and manslaughter is probably blurry when the adrenaline kicks in.

You'll need to check your gender pronouns if he went for the fruit. If you know what I mean. Dangerous times we live in.

Having the ball and glove with the bat isn't a get out of jail free card but it helps. I always remember my Dad's friend who was a police officer who told my dad to keep a ball and glove under his bed with the bat he kept there in case of a break in. According to the cop if you only keep the bat there you are storing it there as a weapon with intent to use it as such. If you store all of your baseball stuff there, you can argue that you weren't intending to use it as a weapon, it just "happened" to be the item closest at hand. If you swing it a few times and maybe hit them once you might get the cops to consider the adrenaline and fear of the situation and not charge you with clubbing them. If you keep swinging its still an assault no matter what the situation is. It's meant to lessen the charge you get if you need to use it, not get you out of trouble all together.

IMO the best thing to do if you come across someone stealing your bike is get away from them and call 911 as soon as you can safely do so, take a picture or video of the perp or their vehicle, again if you can safely do so. I don't care how much the bike is worth, it's not worth risking getting hurt over or a charge ruining your career/life.

Just keep an old guitar handy. Maybe a pick for realism. A guitar pick.

Hyosung bike cover was going to be my first suggestion, but I see I was long beat to it. ;)

Honestly, secure parking where nobody sees it and only a few people know it's there is your only good option.

If you live in an apartment where outside or an underground parking garage is your only option, find a friend with a house and rent some space in their garage. Heck, I'd rent a storage unit somewhere secure and park it inside one of those before I'd ever leave a bike of any signifigant theft risk in an outdoor parking lot or underground garage. Both are notorious for theft and there's not much you can do to stop someone who is determined.

Back
Top Bottom