Helmet and headlight question? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Helmet and headlight question?

Knight

Ok now that I have one year down using my old helmet that I bought 5 years ago to do track days in my car I'm looking for a helmet that has the inner shaded screen since I wear glasses I can't wear normal sunglasses and I'm getting tired of clip ons. what other places other then royal distributing sell them I'm not looking for anything fancy.

Question two. the headlight is terrible on my bike I don't imagine replacing the bulbs would make enough of a difference. I'm fine with the low beam but the high beam sucks. Could I mount a small led bar or pod under the front faring, and wire it up to the high beam. after getting led headlight on my car it's so nice to see lol

Many helmets have an internal sunshade built in and you should be able to find at least some selection at local bike shops. I don't know Ajax well but from there, I'd be going to either Royal or GP Bikes to have a look around to see how far your dollar will get you.

If you plan on DIY adding a LED light bar, the finished product may look anywhere from a bit ghastly to OEM looking. Guess it would depend on how much time you spend on it and how good you are at such projects and whether or not you're going for such a look.

To give you an idea, here's one youtuber who did it and I'm sure there are many more.
[video=youtube;Vu0cZYKAiDU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vu0cZYKAiDU[/video]

There is an alternative to the lightbar though. If you have a switching low/high headlight lightbulb, some companies do manufacture LED replacements for your halogen bulb. In most cases, I would think they are pretty bad but from what I've seen in some pictures, the bulb will have an OEM low beam pattern with a sharp horizontal cutoff, and most importantly, without glare above the cutoff, that won't blind everyone else on the road in front of you. I don't know if they have been doctored by photoshop and some research is in order if you go down this route.

What bulb is in it now ?
If its a normal 55/60W H4 you might try upping to a 100/55W replacement at minimal cost.
Bear in mind that resetting the aim is important to avoid blinding oncoming traffic.

What bulb is in it now ?
If its a normal 55/60W H4 you might try upping to a 100/55W replacement at minimal cost.
Bear in mind that resetting the aim is important to avoid blinding oncoming traffic.

And some housings don't appreciate the added heat and melt.

What bike? Replacing a sealed beam light with a Halogen makes a magical improvment.

Installing a LED light bar shouldn't be hard, technically it may not be legal to use on the road. I would put it on a separate switch from the normal highbeams so you only turn the sun on when there is no one else around.

It's a 1990 honda vtr 250 i live out here in mississuga now. I think the head light is a sealed beam. I'm waiting for it to be clear and warm enough to ride it out here cause I also have some carb work to do on it. you guys have given me some good ideas so far.

It's a 1990 honda vtr 250 i live out here in mississuga now. I think the head light is a sealed beam. I'm waiting for it to be clear and warm enough to ride it out here cause I also have some carb work to do on it. you guys have given me some good ideas so far.

If you haven't added anything yet that draws power, it looks like you may have 50W to 100W to play with (the upside to the 250 is you are always revving it so the alternator is almost always at full output). It put out 320W when they built it.

IIRC I used a candlepower sealed beam to H4 conversion kit on my nighthawk and it was amazing for seeing further down the road. The downside was when the corners got tight, the focused beam introduced some pucker as you were looking into the dark. The crappy sealed beam leaked light everywhere and didn't have the abrupt light cutoff.

I tried the inner shade and couldn't stand the interference with my glasses all the time. My solution was to get out and buy a transition visor that darkens up during the day, and clears up in the evening. Problem is sometimes even when there are clouds the visor may darken a lot, but I've never really had an issue. Lasted about 5 years, and I just replaced it with a new BELL helmet as they have them for a decent price. Not sure who else makes transitions, but have seen them more and more.

Two years ago I needed a new helmet and tried to find one with the inner shades.
The problem is, I'm a big guy with a big guys head.
I found several that fit my head, but the shades wouldn't lower far enough to be practical.

I have also thought about the transition lenses only a couple manufactures make them I think

It comes stock with a 60/55W H4 bulb and a glass lens with metal reflector. Upping to the 100/55W bulb is the cheapest way to start. If that doesn't work then explore the other options mentioned.

What bulb is in it now ?

If it's the high beam he doesn't have to worry about blinding oncoming traffic as it should never be on when there is any traffic around.

Get prescription sunglasses. Chances are an internal sun visor will hit your glasses. But if you're set on it almost any gear shop should have a few options that have it.

If it's the high beam he doesn't have to worry about blinding oncoming traffic as it should never be on when there is any traffic around.

Get prescription sunglasses. Chances are an internal sun visor will hit your glasses. But if you're set on it almost any gear shop should have a few options that have it.

Actually during the day I ride with the high beam on all the time, off at night if in traffic, otherwise, it's on as well....

Actually during the day I ride with the high beam on all the time, off at night if in traffic, otherwise, it's on as well....
Well if you want to use it for a purpose other than what it's intended for (I'm not going to debate whether it's a good idea to run a high beam during the day or not) then that's a different issue. Probably a good idea to adjust it then.

so I was at the bike show yesterday got a great deal on a new bell qualifier with tansision lens and a new led replacement bulb sadly even though me and the guy discussed that it was a h4 bulb when I get home I pull the box out of the bag he gave me a h9 FML i'm going to call the place tuesday it was from daytona motor sport.

so I was at the bike show yesterday got a great deal on a new bell qualifier with tansision lens and a new led replacement bulb sadly even though me and the guy discussed that it was a h4 bulb when I get home I pull the box out of the bag he gave me a h9 FML i'm going to call the place tuesday it was from daytona motor sport.
Just throw it out, led headlight bulbs are useless. You can read my post I just posted in another thread as to why.

Back
Top Bottom