Couple Qs | GTAMotorcycle.com

Couple Qs

HespelerGuy

Site Supporter
Hey folks. I'm a 49 yr old male. I've had my GM since I was 16. Haven't owned a bike in 25 yrs tho. I had a couple of small claims on my car State Farm insurance about 5 yrs ago.

So I'm looking to buy a used touring bike - sub $5000. Something in the 1000 cc range. I do like a Vulcan 900 I've been looking at.

Also, my 21 yr old son wants to do a hands-on college course this Spring for his M. He's had his G 6 yrs.

Based on my info, how does it potentially look for me for coverage? How much will it hit me if I add my son on as a occasional driver?

Thanks, Rick

It likely won't be too bad for you. Definitely don't buy a bike until you have firm quotes. Your son's rates will make your mind spin.
Best to call around.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

Not to go off topic but since you have been away from riding 25 years might be a good refresher to take the course with you son. After being an instructor for 15 years I have seen a lot of returning riders come through the program and all of them were glad they did. Not only as a refresher but they all leared some new skills on top of it.

Great suggestion on doing a course. I was a country kid always on enduros and dirt bikes. But I haven't been on a larger bike in a long time. I'll look into a course!

Hey folks. I'm a 49 yr old male. I've had my GM since I was 16. Haven't owned a bike in 25 yrs tho. I had a couple of small claims on my car State Farm insurance about 5 yrs ago.

their concern is when were you last insured? so that qualifies under noob rates

So I'm looking to buy a used touring bike - sub $5000. Something in the 1000 cc range. I do like a Vulcan 900 I've been looking at...

...I was a country kid always on enduros and dirt bikes. But I haven't been on a larger bike in a long time...

The Vulcan 900 is 650lb wet weight. That might be way heavier than the enduro/dirt bikes you rode way back when, and you're probably not as strong but less stupid/more mature now. You might want to try a lighter bike for starters.

Off the top of my head I'd say you'll be $500/yr, and after a couple of years go down to $300/yr. As for the kid, go read some of the threads.

OP I predict about $900/year for you and for your son around $4,000-$5,000 a year, and no I am not kidding about your son.

My son is 20. He's interested in getting into riding. I looked at some insurance quotes for him, and after my heart stopped then restarted, I told him to hold off another 5 years!

He's been driving since 16 with a clean record and continually insured as secondary driver under my car policy ($$$!). Still no break on bike insce.

Last edited:
It likely won't be too bad for you. Definitely don't buy a bike until you have firm quotes. Your son's rates will make your mind spin.
Best to call around.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

What he said.

OP I predict about $900/year for you and for your son around $4,000-$5,000 a year, and no I am not kidding about your son.

Expect to pay around $1200 for V900, you will be considered a s noob for the roads. That's what I paid with V900 couple years ago in Peel region.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I stopped riding for 15 years..only had a 750cc. Now jumped back in with a 1340cc harley...$276 basic for the year. Then bought a 1300cc vtx..$325 basic coverage for the year.
Google ..."The Personal" insurance company.
As for your son..can't help but they will tell you.
Goodluck and welcome back to the road.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

their concern is when were you last insured? so that qualifies under noob rates

Not really, in fact, length of insurance and lapses are not allowed to be taken into account for the base rate since the 90's: https://www.fsco.gov.on.ca/en/auto/autobulletins/archives/Pages/a-06_97.aspx

There are sometimes increases when you move insurance companies, or cancel policies and restart them, but that's for things like losing loyalty discounts, losing accident forgiveness discounts (which often aren't explicitly listed -- my rates went up very little after an accident, but if I were a NEW customer, I would pay a LOT more)

In Cambridge? Nah. On a Vulcan 900, as a primary driver, with an M1, yeah, $4000 would be about right for a 21 year old. 1 year later it'd be $3000 (I know because I had a Vulcan 900 my second year in Durham region, I was 22, with an M2, and it was $3k). But his son will probably either have a different, smaller bike, or be occasional on the Vulcan, which will be much, much less. A 250 can likely be insured under $2000 in Cambridge.

HespelerGuy: The Vulcan 900, presumably the LT model which is the touring version (windshield, bags, sissy bar) is...an OK tourer. I did Laconia, NH on it, as well as Sturgis, SD, but I'll say that both times my butt and tailbone were very sore, and a number of times I wished I had a less shiny bike, because it hurts when you have to carry a load of firewood and it rubs against your beautiful chrome.

I'm biased, but as a tourer, I much prefer my Concours 1000. The way you sit on a cruiser just doesn't lend to long term posterior comfort, lounge-y as it may look.

Back
Top Bottom