What's an odd ball bulb? | GTAMotorcycle.com

What's an odd ball bulb?

inreb

Site Supporter
If I go into Carp Tire for a turn signal bulb, and among the vast array of bulbs, the one I need is not there does that make it an odd ball bulb? Full disclosure, I'm not a bulb guy. Is there a best brick and mortar auto supply that might carry a weirdo bulb? Au-Lite H21 12V/21W E13 2D3 tia

I think these are used in VWs & Audi's, so a dealership might be the place with the least drama in finding them.Carquest or Napa may have them. They are somewhat odd and are likely priced as such.

Did you ask at the counter CT has a bunch more bulbs the counter that aren't on display

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Thanx for the tips.

If you still haven't found one I think I have some at the shop

If you still haven't found one I think I have some at the shop

Thanks, I tried again at CTC behind the counter but they need vehicle, vin, postal code and telephone number to access said bulb, full technical spec sheet will not suffice what's happening, Neil, to the world I grew up in? It's an aftermarket chinese blinker for crying out loud! I put stockers back on.

Thanks, I tried again at CTC behind the counter but they need vehicle, vin, postal code and telephone number to access said bulb, full technical spec sheet will not suffice what's happening, Neil, to the world I grew up in? It's an aftermarket chinese blinker for crying out loud! I put stockers back on.

Skilled knowledgeable help at a counter cut to deeply into the profits of even the smallest operations. You wouldn't believe the confusion from my local supplier when I call in an order.... and that's all they do. What hope does the man of many hats behind a CTC counter have?

Front turn signal on 2010 Volvo S80 or rear fog lamp on a 2013 Audi A3 would be a few that use the H21

Skilled knowledgeable help at a counter cut to deeply into the profits of even the smallest operations. You wouldn't believe the confusion from my local supplier when I call in an order.... and that's all they do. What hope does the man of many hats behind a CTC counter have?

Front turn signal on 2010 Volvo S80 or rear fog lamp on a 2013 Audi A3 would be a few that use the H21

LOL, this weeks hijinks. Went to m/c stealership, ordered parts via verbal over counter. Paid in full, received non-itemized receipt. Picking up parts, was handed a bag and walked out. Get home parts missing, can't cross check receipt. Some of that's on me that I accept doing business that way.

Took lower fork legs to powder coater. I prepped with putting washers/bolts in holes where I wanted no powder. Picked up the finished legs and a handful of hardware. He said "you didn't need those, I know the drill I did 80 pair legs for Hips Cycle last year" OK. Fine.

Went to the Volvo dealer today. That's a $25 bulb. The complete pair of turn signals didn't cost that much including bulbs.

Walking thru the showroom was like walking thru the lobby of a hotel you know you'll never stay in. The looks I got were about the same.

Went to the Volvo dealer today. That's a $25 bulb. The complete pair of turn signals didn't cost that much including bulbs.

oh no....the suggestion of application was for a trip to say, Part Source or similar. I have the mental image of you wandering in now, so that's good.

Check amazon.ca - a cursory glance shows H21W's (which I think is basically the same bulb) for as low as $10, and lots of LED replacement options for $20 for a set of 2.

As for parts counter help, I'm seldom disappointed on the facepalm front when I go to Canadian Tire. This, more or less.

1z2qg6f.jpg

oh no....the suggestion of application was for a trip to say, Part Source or similar. I have the mental image of you wandering in now, so that's good.

I know...the 2010 Volvo S80 tip was the scented rag, but being up at Mountain Mazda anyway I figgered I score a bulb @ Volvo using the saunter method. I mean, what could the Swedish premium be anyway? Have you priced a meatball lunch at Ikea? I thought the Swedes knew their loss leaders.

I know...the 2010 Volvo S80 tip was the scented rag, but being up at Mountain Mazda anyway I figgered I score a bulb @ Volvo using the saunter method. I mean, what could the Swedish premium be anyway? Have you priced a meatball lunch at Ikea? I thought the Swedes knew their loss leaders.

Haven't been to Ikea in 10+ years. I use tools all day, if I'm bringing home a new anything, I'm not building it. Plus savings, in my memory, were measured in chipped faux wood veneers

As for parts counter help, I'm seldom disappointed on the facepalm front when I go to Canadian Tire. This, more or less.

Tire Hole is not my favourite retail establishment on the planet, but I have to say my experience is the opposite. Either I can quickly get exactly what I want, or they don't sell it. Maybe it's because I've been on the other side of the counter

Check amazon.ca - a cursory glance shows H21W's (which I think is basically the same bulb) for as low as $10, and lots of LED replacement options for $20 for a set of 2.

1z2qg6f.jpg

That should be revised to "Automatic Or CVT". Manual transmission has faded into legend for the general public. Sure the gear-heads and stale-crusts know the joy, but 3% of the market is a lonely island.

You did the right thing by writing down the part number of the existing bulb.
When you didn't find the exact same bulb at CT, you should have asked the service guy to look in the catalogue.
I have yet to meet a bulb that didn't have a compatible replacement made by a different maker.
Or often the same maker, but with a different number or name.
Example. the reverse bulb in an Audi and VW is the same, but it has a different number depending on the make of car.

Back
Top Bottom