Racer 5 stage 4 anyone? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Racer 5 stage 4 anyone?

Just wondering if anyone has taken the racer 5 stage 4 course? looking for some feed back if its worth it, the Pros and cons.

Planning to do the course this summer, I personally feel like my learning have plateaued compared to the year before. My goal is to hopefully direct me to the right direction before i start setting bad habits if i havent developed it already.

Im an intermediate rider in middle of the group. Not the fastest but not the slowest.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

I personally feel like my learning have plateaued compared to the year before. My goal is to hopefully direct me to the right direction before i start setting bad habits if i havent developed it already.

Im an intermediate rider in middle of the group. Not the fastest but not the slowest.

I took Stage 4 at GB when I was near the top of yellow pace (got passed maybe once or twice a day). We only had the morning, and a partial session after lunch (torrential rain hit). The first few sessions of the day (were on track every other session) had minimal feedback, as the instructor wanted to learn our style while following, and he wanted to make sure it was a consistent pattern.

The last session before lunch (I think it was 4th session) I received the most feedback, as he had learned how I ride and what was necessary to correct it. The information he gave me was totally spot on, but I didn't have the opportunity to apply it under his tutelage in following sessions. The track had massive standing puddles due to the lunch time rain.

If we had managed to get the whole day in, I'm sure he would have improved my riding greatly while tweaking my style, building on the initial feedback.

I took Stage 4 at GB when I was near the top of yellow pace (got passed maybe once or twice a day). We only had the morning, and a partial session after lunch (torrential rain hit). The first few sessions of the day (were on track every other session) had minimal feedback, as the instructor wanted to learn our style while following, and he wanted to make sure it was a consistent pattern.

The last session before lunch (I think it was 4th session) I received the most feedback, as he had learned how I ride and what was necessary to correct it. The information he gave me was totally spot on, but I didn't have the opportunity to apply it under his tutelage in following sessions. The track had massive standing puddles due to the lunch time rain.

If we had managed to get the whole day in, I'm sure he would have improved my riding greatly while tweaking my style, building on the initial feedback.
It sounds like it help you out nonetheless. Im looking forward to it but dont really know what to expect. Hoping to go on june 17 18, fingers crossed no rain.

Where you able to apply what you learned and did you notice a difference?

It sounds like it help you out nonetheless. Im looking forward to it but dont really know what to expect. Hoping to go on june 17 18, fingers crossed no rain.

Will send you a PM

I was actually at the same day as BigEvil taking stage 5, which is pretty much the same thing with a slightly better student:teacher ratio (we ended up 2:1 )and a little more pace, but the principals are the same. Anytime you have someone more experienced evaluate your riding, especially if they are quicker than you there is something to learn. They'll look at it objectively and see things you may have glossed over or just become comfortable doing. Whether its Fast, Racer5, the new pro6 thing at bogie, training is always a good investment. Bikes come and go, but skill will stay with you.

Last edited:

I definitely applied what he suggested, and it did make a bit of a difference. I'm sure I would have learned even more in the afternoon, unfortunate the rain happened. My group had 4 people in it, split into 2 pairs. After the second time out, he changed the pairings up, as there were clearly 2 faster and 2 slower guys.

I'm not sure how things will be at the DDT for you - took the course when they still had it at GB.

I definitely applied what he suggested, and it did make a bit of a difference. I'm sure I would have learned even more in the afternoon, unfortunate the rain happened. My group had 4 people in it, split into 2 pairs. After the second time out, he changed the pairings up, as there were clearly 2 faster and 2 slower guys.

I'm not sure how things will be at the DDT for you - took the course when they still had it at GB.

I think you may have done the Stage4 course a number of years ago with us.
The current program is a 3:1 Student Instructor ratio and takes place at our VIP weekends, so there is suspension set up, catered lunch, refreshments, hospitality lounge, etc all included!

We are also very proud to announce that Andrew Nelson will be joining our already fantastic stable of Racer5 Advanced Program instructors this year!

Hi. I did stage4 last year and had Andrew Nelson as the instructor. He was great to work with and quickly identified areas to work on for the 3 riders in my group. We were all at different levels and he had no issues customizing the day for us.

Canadian Tire training track is great, and the bathrooms are spectacular for any track day :)

Highly recommend Andrew.

Hi. I did stage4 last year and had Andrew Nelson as the instructor. He was great to work with and quickly identified areas to work on for the 3 riders in my group. We were all at different levels and he had no issues customizing the day for us.

Canadian Tire training track is great, and the bathrooms are spectacular for any track day :)

Highly recommend Andrew.
Thanks for the feedback.

You guys have been very helpful.

We are also very proud to announce that Andrew Nelson will be joining our already fantastic stable of Racer5 Advanced Program instructors this year!

I spent some time with him when he was an instructor at Fast school, very talented individual both riding and coaching.

I've been considering this too but the June date is a RACE weekend at Shannonville and the August date is pretty much the end of the season. Not much opportunity to work on skills before seasons end.

If there was one in May, right at the beginning of the season, I'd be all over it and consider missing a RACE weekend for it.

I've been considering this too but the June date is a RACE weekend at Shannonville and the August date is pretty much the end of the season. Not much opportunity to work on skills before seasons end.

If there was one in May, right at the beginning of the season, I'd be all over it and consider missing a RACE weekend for it.
I agree Aug is almost at the end of the season.

The season is over in August? Well CSBK is.

It's not over, but %80 of my seasons track time will be. For me at least, I'd rather have paid coaching earlier in the season to have things to focus on through out the year.

It also makes sense why they have the stage 4&5 later in the season though. I would have done the 4&5 the same year I did stage 1,2,3 if I was racing that year. It would have been a great progression through out the season.

Got Paul last year for Stage 4 at RDT and was the only person in the group lol

Paul's worked with me before in stage 1-3 so I knew what to expect. He got me from bottom of yellow to mid pack yellow. Also managed to set a personal record, far better than previously, at Shannonville. I had a really bad mental blockade from a crash a few years ago and Paul definitely helped me snap out of it.

From what I've seen/heard, every instructor Fawaz uses for Stage 4 is extremely fast and have great instructing skills so you will definitely get your money's worth.

Hey Wrenchmoney85:
Sorry for the late post. I took stage 4 with Andrew Nelsonas my instructor and have nothing but positive things to say.

Was it worth it? Yes, both time and money. I was in the samecategory as you (lower level intermediate) when I first started and now I rideat the higher end intermediate (perhaps one of the quick guys in my group).Andrew N. knew exactly what my experience was after our first few sessions atthe track. He gave constructive and “individualized” feedback as there were 2other riders in my group with different experiences. One feedback I’ll alwaysremember (among many): as we started to get faster Andrew noticed I picked upthe bike “physically” at the apex during my exit take –off. He advised I use mythrottle instead to pick the bike up and insisted I be conscious of doing it. WhenI cracked the throttle open at the place and time he told me to…WOW….that was alight bulb moment! That was exactly oneof the tips I was looking for to break my plateau.

So to answer your question, yes I applied everything Andrewtaught me and it worked. I applied Andrew’s feedback and I now run 1:59 at SMP(long track). Before I was doing a 2:07. I’ll be changing over to better tracktires and I am confident I can go quicker.

What to expect? Before you attend the course, make notes ofwhere you’ve been struggling at the track in past seasons. Ask yourself why andwhere you plateaued. Take that to Andrew and talk to him during your course. Asan advance level rider you need to be your own judge and be honest withyourself as to where you’re going wrong and what needs improvement. Iapproached Andrew with that mentality. In addition, as I don’t go to RDT regularly, I talked to Andrew about improving atother tracks (SMP, CTMP big track) as well.

On top of that the racer5 crowd (staff and riders) are justgreat. No one was there trying to show off. Just normal, genuine folks havingfun. I’m glad you have Andrew as your coach as he’s one of the best to learnfrom.

Cons: Well, if I had to be nitpicky, I wish it was anothertrack or at least have an option. Last time I was at the RDT was on a 125cc andthen a 250cc few years ago and was an excellent track for those bikes. On thestage 4 course, the track appeared completely different to me on a Gsxr750because of the extra power. Once I switched my mental gears and by tryingdifferent things to get that power work for than against me, it was great. ButI was dead tired by the end of the day as that track demands a lot of attention.

Enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom