Visible Screen while Driving? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Visible Screen while Driving?

nobbie48

Site Supporter
Somewhere I thought I read that NO video screen was to be visible from the drivers seat.

I just bought a cheap dash cam and it has a screen that, depending on how I mount it, could be visible. There's nothing to see that I couldn't see better through the windshield but still, is it legal if I can see the screen?

If it's that big a deal I can stick something over it.

My van came with the factory back-up camera. Must be ok if they are legislating all cars to be equipped with them by May 2018.
I think I read somewhere that navigation and vehicle operation information only allowed.

https://www.ontario.ca/laws/regulation/090366

Display Screens

Exemption for law enforcement officers

2. The following persons, while engaged in the performance of their duties, may drive a motor vehicle on a highway with a display screen of a computer or other device in the motor vehicle visible to the driver:
1. Police officers, within the meaning of the Police Services Act.
2. Special constables appointed under section 53 of the Police Services Act.
3. Auxiliary members of a police force.
4. First Nations Constables appointed under subsection 54 (1) of the Police Services Act.
5. Persons appointed under a statute of the Parliament of Canada and who are peace officers within the meaning of section 2 of the Criminal Code (Canada).
6. Persons appointed as police constables under section 44 of the Railway Safety Act (Canada).
7. Persons designated as park wardens by the Minister of Natural Resources or under the Canada National Parks Act (Canada).
8. Park wardens under the Provincial Parks and Conservation Reserves Act, 2006.
9. Conservation officers under section 87 of the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Act, 1997. O. Reg. 366/09, s. 2.

Exempt devices

7. The display screens of the following devices may be visible to any driver in a motor vehicle driven on a highway:
1. A device that displays,
i. information on the conditions, use and immediate environment of the vehicle, or
ii. information on road or weather conditions.
2. An ignition interlock device.
3. A car audio control that displays only text or static images.
4. A hand-held device that displays only text or static images and is connected directly into and operates using the audio system controls of the motor vehicle. O. Reg. 366/09, s. 7.

So yes, a dashcam with a display is technically not legal.

I think most dashcams have a way to disable the screen, so simply turn it off.

Wouldn't the dash cam be displaying "information on the ... immediate environment of the vehicle" though? I think it's generally a poorly written law (considering they needed a shitzillion exemptions) but I would think in this case it would be covered in the letter and spirit of the law.

It's vague and probably open to a lot of interpretation for sure.

FWIW I can't find any record of a ticket ever being issued in Ontario for the display of a dashcam being visible to the driver so it seems unlikely to be something a LEO would be bothered with unless they were having a bad day.

You also have to consider, although somewhat updated, most of that regulation was initially written before dash cams became popular due to dropping prices. You may see at the next revision, items such as dash cams either included or excluded.

Although marketed to truckers, there is nothing to prevent you from putting a large 7" GPS screen in your car. Some of the dash displays come close to that.'lol

I don't think there's any issue with a dash cam or GPS if it's just off to the side from your main view.

however, people who put their GPS directly in front of their view might have an issue. Seeing it more often nowadays.

OK I got playing with it today and the screen shuts off after a minute. It's a Magellan 240 that was on sale last week.

The resolution isn't great but it can tell if the light was red, the guy backed into you etc. More tinkering when I get a chance. The software is a bit fickle or my computer just doesn't like it.

Backup cameras wouldn't apply, as most only come on when the vehicle is put in reverse. Not many people drive on the roadway in reverse full time..lol

My van came with the factory back-up camera. Must be ok if they are legislating all cars to be equipped with them by May 2018.
I think I read somewhere that navigation and vehicle operation information only allowed.

Tons of cars have entertainment systems that show album art and whatnot...

My phone is always visible showing GPS (Waze/Google Maps/HERE Maps) or info on whatever song it's playing.

Tons of cars have entertainment systems that show album art and whatnot...

My phone is always visible showing GPS (Waze/Google Maps/HERE Maps) or info on whatever song it's playing.

Both of those are specifically allowed in the current regulations I linked above.

By the letter of the law anything displaying a non-navigation related moving image (ie, DVD player or smartphone with a video on, etc, yes, including I would think technically a live video of the road ahead) would be contrary to the rules however.

But in the end, yeah, electrical tape over the display (or turn it off as the OP discovered was possible) is the easiest solution to avoid any issues.

Back
Top Bottom