New to this, any companies you recommend? | GTAMotorcycle.com

New to this, any companies you recommend?

cyborgninja

As a person that's totally new to the financial world in general, I have some questions for you guys.
I am currently an 18yr old female interested in a used Kawaski ninja 250. If that helps. None of you are insurance experts and I'm not asking for insurance quotes, as obviously, the only person who can do that is the representative themselves.

What insurance company do you use/recommend?
Any advice for a young new rider?
Thanks in advance for your replies.

Someone on this list will be able to help you. If you don't find a price you like I doubt you will.

· Drivers First, part of Arthur J. Gallagher Canada Limited (Melissa Jones) – 905-366-3873 or email Melissa.Jones@cgbgroup.com
· Dalton Timmis (Andy Singh) - Email andys@daltontimmis.com or phone 905-633-9019
· All State (Vinnie Narace) – 226-270-6567
· Surnet Insurance (Paul South) – 1-866-607-6168 or email psouth@surnet.net
· Riders Plus – 1-877-251-4504
· Cornerstone Insurance(Carlos Vincent ) - 1-800-263-2369 or 705-722-8377 ext: 167 & email - cvincent@csib.org
· John R. Duffy Insurance Brokers Limited – 1-866-383-3957
· State Farm (Seamus Kelly)- 905-383-6787
· TD MM Insurance – 1-800-338-0218

Just so you know I called around for my GF (she is 27 with M2 coming throught the motorcycle course) and the best price I got her on a 2015 Yamaha R3 was $107 a month with Liability and Comprehensive. She owns so Collision isn't required.

As a person that's totally new to the financial world in general, I have some questions for you guys.
I am currently an 18yr old female interested in a used Kawaski ninja 250. If that helps. None of you are insurance experts and I'm not asking for insurance quotes, as obviously, the only person who can do that is the representative themselves.

Unless things have drastically changed (I started riding 6 years ago), hold your M2 for a year and your prices will drop drastically. But since you're 18, that might be from $3600/year to $2400/year; I'm pulling those numbers out of my ***, just saying your insurance is going to cost A LOT. When I was 23, the cheapest I could find for a GS500F was $2200. When I turned 25, I insured my GSXR750 for $1800. It makes absolutely no ****ing sense because the GSXR was worth 3x more than the GS500F and had 3x more power.

油井緋色;2475975 said:
Unless things have drastically changed (I started riding 6 years ago), hold your M2 for a year and your prices will drop drastically. But since you're 18, that might be from $3600/year to $2400/year; I'm pulling those numbers out of my ***, just saying your insurance is going to cost A LOT. When I was 23, the cheapest I could find for a GS500F was $2200. When I turned 25, I insured my GSXR750 for $1800. It makes absolutely no ****ing sense because the GSXR was worth 3x more than the GS500F and had 3x more power.
Yeah I wasn't expecting it to be cheap. My dad warned me about the price of insurance.
My initial plan was to hold my M2 for a while (I'll be taking an approved course, and getting my M2 through them, so I don't have to buy a bike and get smacked in the face with insurance costs right off the bat. If I'm not mistaken, the longer you have your license, the cheaper the initial insurance cost is? The years you've had it factors in, is what I mean.
I don't want to wait, but my parents refuse to help me out with this, they're not really fond of the idea. With good reason. I mean, you have to have the "everybody is out to kill me" mindset and take precautions and ride defensively, it can be dangerous. Totally get that. But I also want to live a little. And I've been drawn to this for very long.
My point is, I'm on my own paying for this, which sucks but, I have a job, which, I've been literally begging for more hours on, so I can pay for all this **** hahaha.

Yeah I wasn't expecting it to be cheap. My dad warned me about the price of insurance.
My initial plan was to hold my M2 for a while (I'll be taking an approved course, and getting my M2 through them, so I don't have to buy a bike and get smacked in the face with insurance costs right off the bat. If I'm not mistaken, the longer you have your license, the cheaper the initial insurance cost is? The years you've had it factors in, is what I mean.
I don't want to wait, but my parents refuse to help me out with this, they're not really fond of the idea. With good reason. I mean, you have to have the "everybody is out to kill me" mindset and take precautions and ride defensively, it can be dangerous. Totally get that. But I also want to live a little. And I've been drawn to this for very long.
My point is, I'm on my own paying for this, which sucks but, I have a job, which, I've been literally begging for more hours on, so I can pay for all this **** hahaha.

Honestly getting your M2 then waiting a year or two to ride and buy a bike is pointless. Unless you'll be riding around on private property, you will have lost everything that you learned in the course and basically be starting over again from square one when you pick it back up. You'll just have a closet full of brand new motorcycle gear and a more restricted drivers license for nothing.

Just call around and get a quote. You're basing if you're going to ride next year on what you think insurance will cost. Knowing how f*cked insurance is in this province, they'll probably see your a girl and pay you to ride lol

The insurance companies go by how many years you have actually owned and insured motorcycles in recent years. I found that out when I talked to a rep last summer. I couldn't understand why my 6 Star rating wasn't carried through to my bikes. They didn't count my 35 years with a bike license when I got back into riding. So no, if you get your license and hold onto it you won't get a reduction in your rates the way a bike owner does. Also, just the name "Ninja" sets off alarm bells with insurers. It's a bike synonymous with high speed racing and risky behavior. You'll pay for that through the nose vs an old CM or CB250. I pay $300/yr for my CM rat bike, it's loads of fun.

You'll pay for that through the nose vs an old CM or CB250. I pay $300/yr for my CM rat bike, it's loads of fun.

Haha I test rode an '82 Honda CM250 for my girlfriend, would be a fun bike for someone new and would be about as cheap as insurance gets. Id ask the brokers you're talking to, to quote you on a few bikes and start looking for a cost reduction that way also

Cm250
Cmx250 (rebel 250)
Maybe a gz250 would be cheap?

Or if you're set on a sporty bike ask if there is a difference in insurance if you got a cbr125 instead of the ex250

Also buy the bike for cash, make sure it's in good shape, take it to mechanic to tell you if it needs any work to pass safety inspection etc those kind of things

Last edited:

ins. folks post on this site

Honestly getting your M2 then waiting a year or two to ride and buy a bike is pointless. Unless you'll be riding around on private property, you will have lost everything that you learned in the course and basically be starting over again from square one when you pick it back up. You'll just have a closet full of brand new motorcycle gear and a more restricted drivers license for nothing.

Just call around and get a quote. You're basing if you're going to ride next year on what you think insurance will cost. Knowing how f*cked insurance is in this province, they'll probably see your a girl and pay you to ride lol

hahaha I doubt I'll be paid to ride. Makes sense about not waiting a year though. I'm just a cheap *****, so I hate paying so much for things. Even handing a cashier a 20 dollar bill, I feel like I hold on to it a bit too long before I let go with a tear falling down my cheek lmao.
No, but in all seriousness, I appreciate the advice. This is one thing I like about motorcycles, the community is freaking awesome. You're all so ready to help, it's great :D

The insurance companies go by how many years you have actually owned and insured motorcycles in recent years. I found that out when I talked to a rep last summer. I couldn't understand why my 6 Star rating wasn't carried through to my bikes. They didn't count my 35 years with a bike license when I got back into riding. So no, if you get your license and hold onto it you won't get a reduction in your rates the way a bike owner does. Also, just the name "Ninja" sets off alarm bells with insurers. It's a bike synonymous with high speed racing and risky behavior. You'll pay for that through the nose vs an old CM or CB250. I pay $300/yr for my CM rat bike, it's loads of fun.
$300 a year? as in, just 300 dollars? Holy crap! That's awesome. I didn't really think too much about that, but I could see how it would set off alarm bells. Thanks for the reply btw

Haha I test rode an '82 Honda CM250 for my girlfriend, would be a fun bike for someone new and would be about as cheap as insurance gets. Id ask the brokers you're talking to, to quote you on a few bikes and start looking for a cost reduction that way also

Cm250
Cmx250 (rebel 250)
Maybe a gz250 would be cheap?

Or if you're set on a sporty bike ask if there is a difference in insurance if you got a cbr125 instead of the ex250

Also buy the bike for cash, make sure it's in good shape, take it to mechanic to tell you if it needs any work to pass safety inspection etc those kind of things

Yeah, I am more of a sport bike person honestly. They're beautiful bikes. I have an appreciation for them all, my dad had a harley, and if I'm just learning, and getting started any bike would do really. A bike is a bike, everything is basically the same,control-wise.
Also, when I start looking for a bike I'll probably also post and ask what to look for when buying used (no way I'm buying new, it's going to get beat up, as a new rider I'll probably drop the thing a couple times, and it would break my heart to see a new bike with scratches all over it), how to know I'm getting what I'm paying for, that kinda thing.
I also just searched up the cbr125, and man it is beautiful. Thanks for your help also :D

Yeah, I am more of a sport bike person honestly. They're beautiful bikes. I have an appreciation for them all, my dad had a harley, and if I'm just learning, and getting started any bike would do really. A bike is a bike, everything is basically the same,control-wise.
Also, when I start looking for a bike I'll probably also post and ask what to look for when buying used (no way I'm buying new, it's going to get beat up, as a new rider I'll probably drop the thing a couple times, and it would break my heart to see a new bike with scratches all over it), how to know I'm getting what I'm paying for, that kinda thing.
I also just searched up the cbr125, and man it is beautiful. Thanks for your help also :D
That cbr is your best bet to get a sporty looking bike and still afford insurance. The cbr is a new riders best friend.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

It might be the same price roughly for a 250 or a 125 insurance wise.. not sure lol but the cost of the bike will be significantly less... with sport bikes the plastic bits can get expensive if you smash it so be careful and good luck!

Realistically I think you could get cbr125 for 1500 in good shape used. The savings on the bike could pay a big chunk of the big insurance bill you're gonna get (undoubtedly lol) I'm 27 and my insurance bill still sucks

Also, since any savings will really count talk to @Matt rain @villemotogear about gear. Nice stuff good prices

Last edited:
It might be the same price roughly for a 250 or a 125 insurance wise.. not sure lol but the cost of the bike will be significantly less... with sport bikes the plastic bits can get expensive if you smash it so be careful and good luck!

Realistically I think you could get cbr125 for 1500 in good shape used. The savings on the bike could pay a big chunk of the big insurance bill you're gonna get (undoubtedly lol) I'm 27 and my insurance bill still sucks

Also, since any savings will really count talk to @Matt rain @villemotogear about gear. Nice stuff good prices

Yeah, I was actually planning to make a trip to Royal Distributors in Guelph sometime, for a helmet. That, apart from my M1 is the only thing required for the course I'm taking. Well, a jacket too, but some people who recently rented out one of our houses sucked (renters from hell, long story) basically, it took freaking forever to try to evict them, they missed payments, and it was a nightmare. Finally, a police officer we got went over to tell them to get out, next morning we went there and they were gone, except, they left all their ****, loads of garbage. One thing though, that was fortunate, and this was the point of this story, a motorcycle jacket. Nice hot red Harley jacket. Freaking beautiful. So. I have that. I'll work on piecing my gear together whenever I can, but I'd like to keep it a little cheap at this moment. I don't want to skimp on gear, but I don't want to blow my bank account either, you know what I mean? So, yeah thank you for the suggestion, really appreciated. :D

I'm also 18 as well and this year is going to be my first season! I called around and the best rates I found was from Paul South (psouth@surnet.net) it's better to email him for quotes, since he's a busy man. My quotes for a Yamaha R3 were $2933 (full coverage), $2173 (no collision but comprehesive, fire/theft) and $2081 for liability only based on me taking the MSF course for my M2. My quotes for a Ninja 300 with ABS were $2794/2056/1964 (because it was a ABS version/me taking the MSF course, it lowers it by a lot. I need a few riding buddies as well, so when you get your bike or do your MSF course, hit me up! Lets ride together :)! @cyborgninja

Someone on this list will be able to help you. If you don't find a price you like I doubt you will.

· Drivers First, part of Arthur J. Gallagher Canada Limited (Melissa Jones) – 905-366-3873 or email Melissa.Jones@cgbgroup.com
· Dalton Timmis (Andy Singh) - Email andys@daltontimmis.com or phone 905-633-9019
· All State (Vinnie Narace) – 226-270-6567
· Surnet Insurance (Paul South) – 1-866-607-6168 or email psouth@surnet.net
· Riders Plus – 1-877-251-4504
· Cornerstone Insurance(Carlos Vincent ) - 1-800-263-2369 or 705-722-8377 ext: 167 & email - cvincent@csib.org
· John R. Duffy Insurance Brokers Limited – 1-866-383-3957
· State Farm (Seamus Kelly)- 905-383-6787
· TD MM Insurance – 1-800-338-0218

Pretty comprehensive list.

油井緋色;2475975 said:

Correct me if im mistaken, but dont they go by insurance coverage, not how long you have had your license?

Correct me if im mistaken, but dont they go by insurance coverage, not how long you have had your license?

Unless things have changed, no.

I used some online quote tools at the time to see what my quote would be based on license date. The drop was between 33% - 50% after holding an M class license for more than 1 year.

I called TD, and J R Duffy for quotes, told them to do the exact same thing as above (two different quotes) and the rate did indeed drop. My ex got into riding a year after I did but held her license for a year before getting her bike and the above turned out true ($4000 to $2200)

There are some companies, such as AllState, that will take your # of insurance years as a requirement or factor it into rate costs.

If anyone doubts this, just ask the broker to give you two quotes. If they give you attitude (never happened to me before), call back with another phone # or get a friend.

When I started riding over 10 years ago, my KZ250 LTD was $223/year.

Best to get some quotes, add that to the cost of your potential bike and gear, then keep saving your money up.

Don't like some have, take out a loan for both the bike and insurance.

Back
Top Bottom