Hi there :) | GTAMotorcycle.com

Hi there :)

cyborgninja

Hi guys. New here. Finally starting to move forward with some plans I've had on the back burner for a couple years now, due to being busy with work and other things.

Began looking for a local motorcycle forum, mostly because I love the community. It seems really awesome. Ever since I was really young, I've felt drawn to motorbikes. Not sure why. Whenever I see a rider while driving, I still always smile, sounds kindof pathetic haha. But anyway. Sometime when it warms up this year, I'm going to go ahead and take my M1 finally, and take an approved course to lower insurance, and also I have no friends with bikes, so I need a good course to help me learn.

Anyhow, hi! Looking forward to being here.

Welcome to the forum!

Sent from the Purple Zone

It can be a bit daunting at first, but once you get it all done and you go for a ride down a quiet two-lane country road on a summer afternoon it will dawn on you that it was all worth it.

Welcome aboard! Do you have a bike already or are you planning to get one in the spring? Happy hunting cyborgninja:cool:

Welcome! Try to take your M1 as early as possible, around March/April. Then your course in May, that way you can take your M test in August/September of next year instead of having to wait until the following spring.

It can be a bit daunting at first, but once you get it all done and you go for a ride down a quiet two-lane country road on a summer afternoon it will dawn on you that it was all worth it.
I agree.So much to get done.But every time I see a bike on the road,I'm reminded of how much I want that.

Welcome aboard! Do you have a bike already or are you planning to get one in the spring? Happy hunting cyborgninja:cool:
Planning on getting one a little bit later. When I get my M2. Mostly because, I can use the bikes that the course provide, and if I'm not mistaken, I can skip my M2 road test by passing the approved course. My reasoning is mostly insurance. Taking the course lowers the cost of insurance, and so does the time you've had your license. If I skip my M2, I can take my time buying a bike, and not pay as much for insurance, by letting some time go by. I'd rather not pay out of my *** for it if I can avoid it.

*Edit*
I checked on the course website that I will be taking (Rider's Institute in Guelph, closest one I could find) and it doesn't say that I get to skip the M2 road test, but that they will be testing me, and personally submitting my results into the MTO. A little different from what I understood before, but, same difference I suppose. I will be getting my M2 without having to buy a bike, which was my goal in the first place. I could be reading it wrong but that's what I got out of it, so. I'll call up and ask them for more info when I get the chance anyway.

Quote from the website: [FONT=&quot]The morning of the second day is devoted to traffic awareness and defensive riding techniques. A great deal of attention is paid to potential emergency situations. Straight line braking, swerving around an object, swerve and stop and stopping in a curve are practiced for the first part of the day. In the afternoon, the M2 licensing test is discussed and demonstrated. The students are given practice time and coaching before the test is conducted.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Upon passing RTI will submit your test results to the MTO on your behalf. This will allow you to upgrade your licence to an M2. Please refer to Licensing for further information on remaining riding restrictions for the M2 licence.

[/FONT]

Last edited:
Where have you been all my life. BROTHA FROM ANOTHER MOTHERRRR! Going to take my M1 in a few weeks then my MSF course to get my M2. I purchased my R3 after Christmas and it's still sitting at the dealers storage. Can't wait to start riding this year, hopefully everything goes well and you get your bike this year! We can be riding buddies! (don't go too fast tho, I'm still a noob).

You don't get to skip anything doing the course, but the M1 exit (to get your M2) is included. So, when you go to the MTO to write your M1 make sure to tell them you're planning to take a course for your M2 - if you don't, they will by default charge you for the M1 exit road test at the MTO that you won't actually need.

Once you complete the course the school with either give you a piece of paper you take to the MTO to get the M2 upgrade, or they will do it electronically. Either way you have to wait until after the 30 days have passed since you write your M1, if it hasn't already when you go for the course, and then visit the MTO to confirm things and they'll upgrade you. You get the hard copy of your new licence in the mail a few weeks later but you get an M2 temp in the meantime.

At that point the M2 is good for up to 5 years. After 18 months (having taken a course, 24 months otherwise) you can do the MTO road test to graduate to your full M when you're ready.

You can buy a bike anytime and get it into your name and worry about getting it on the road down the road - prices will be better right now than they will be in 3-4 more weeks when the weather warms up and the motorcycle market goes into full swing.

Lots of good advice to be had about first bikes here, but don't buy a supersport for your first bike is the number 1 rule, and call for insurance quotes (they will give you theoretical quotes based on the assumption you will have your course completed and M2 at the time you want to actually insure the bike) BEFORE buying any bike to make sure you can afford it.

Welcome to GTAM.

Back
Top Bottom