Two bikes, one policy | GTAMotorcycle.com

Two bikes, one policy

Blooton

figured I will get a faster more accurate response here than calling my insurance company:
Scenario
I have a 250cc dual sport bike. I have a 250cc street bike. roughly same value. i commute on the street bike and and every second or third weekend I go for a off road ride. can i have both bikes on file with my insurance company, call them on a friday to insure the dual sport, and on monday call to switch back to the street bike? there are no other riders in my household. I am willing to spend 20 minutes on hold with my insurance company every couple weeks as opposed to paying full insurance on two bikes for the year
input?

figured I will get a faster more accurate response here than calling my insurance company:
Scenario
I have a 250cc dual sport bike. I have a 250cc street bike. roughly same value. i commute on the street bike and and every second or third weekend I go for a off road ride. can i have both bikes on file with my insurance company, call them on a friday to insure the dual sport, and on monday call to switch back to the street bike? there are no other riders in my household. I am willing to spend 20 minutes on hold with my insurance company every couple weeks as opposed to paying full insurance on two bikes for the year
input?

You figured it would be faster and more accurate to ask a bunch of people with no power over your situation than to ask the person that know which company you are with and what their polices are??? eyeroll.

They aren't going to let you switch back and forth that often. If they let you turn liability on and off (which they may not), most require you to keep liability on for at least a month and can only do it a few times a year. Pay full insurance for both. Welcome to Onterrible.

You figured it would be faster and more accurate to ask a bunch of people with no power over your situation than to ask the person that know which company you are with and what their polices are??? eyeroll.

why yes I did. I am at work until 6 and cannot sit on the phone for 20 minutes on hold. there are several insurance experts on this board who might just be browsing this forum during down time and have heard this question before.
and yes, i am currently paying for both bikes, just trying to realize some savings if possible
thanks

before the experts chime in....

and I am no expert, but I would probably say NO, you will not be able to do what you describe....

that is my non expert guess...

just want to add, yes it can be done, I have done it, but doing it multiple times, this they might not want to do...yes both bikes were plated as well, I just don't know what their cut off might be if they even have one

Last edited:
Scenario
input?
I do exactly that with a klx250 and a gsxr750, several times a year. You must have two plates or pay $10 to switch plate each time, for me it's easier to have two plates

thanks. afaik, all the insurance company has to do is switch the active bike. both mine are plated as well, going to call them tonight and ask

If you talking about doing every couple of weekends, I will venture they may allow for a short period but once they see it happening regularly, they may cut you off. Afterall, what is best for you is not best for them...lol If they see the opportunity to get you to pay two premiums, will still just be on one policy, why wouldn't they? They are there to make as much money as they can for their investors, not to save you money. I suspect if you check the cost of liability and AB for the off road bike will be pretty low, (likely less than $500 per year, then you can ride it anytime you want, without issue.

To add, just because you can, doesn't mean they will.

It does require an agent to perform the task and sometimes an underwriter. For a single policy, they may find it's high maintenance for limited premium.

I know a few underwriters that have counselled some agents. Others are willing to work with the broker etc.

It's just not popular and it's more hassle than they need. They would rather have you cover both and avoid the whole switching back and forth. Even if it saves you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have done this for years, with TD and state Farm, and have yet to be told I can not. Several times a year, often just for a weekend to stretch the 750s legs. $249 per year for klx, $750 per year gsxr, so I will continue to do this until I'm told I cant.

Back
Top Bottom