Small off-road bike recommendation? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Small off-road bike recommendation?

yeah I grew up in the GTA but then moved east to raise a family, semi-rural small town living,
the kids are freakin yuge in the sticks! I think it's all the growth hormone in the food

and yeah I'm an old dude, this be why I'm telling OP to get his kid a 2 stroke dirt bike,
was no other choice in the 70's early 80's, that and they're cheap

There were lots of 4 stroke dirt bikes in the 70's and 80's. Unless this 13yr old has been exposed to bikes early on, a 2 stroke mx bike is a terrible idea. The power of today's bikes, are far greater than the ones we rode. And some of them were terrifying! I was 13 when I rode my brother's Canam qualifier 500 2 stroke. That bike was a weapon of mass destruction! I had been riding since I was 5 so, I knew what I was doing. It still scared the hell outta me. I rode it for 5 minutes, and wanted my 125 back.

In order to make this kid a rider for life, start with a tamer bike, let them learn the skills needed, then step it up. Small cc 4t bikes hold their value so well, that buying and selling them rarely results in money lost. So swapping out bikes is easy, and generally wallet pain free.

My daughter will be 16 this year and has expressed a desire to get her MC license. I plan to get any cheap old dirtbike I can to teach her the basics on. As long as it runs and functions mechanically (clutch, brakes etc) that's good enough in my mind. Once she gets the basics down I should be able to turn around and sell the bike for around the same I bought it for.

To the OP, the first bike doesn't need to be the forever bike (and rarely is). Get something cheap and reliable (XR100 or similar comes to mind) and upgrade as needed/desired.

Back
Top Bottom