Small off-road bike recommendation? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Small off-road bike recommendation?

Honda XR100. Easily get a good one for under $1000 plus when it comes time to sell it will still be worth what it was bought for. As reliable as a brick.

Do not buy a Chinese knockoff. It may seem like good value compared to the name brands but it will be broken on the first ride. These bikes are like throw away lighters. neighbour bought one. I have never seen such cheap parts.

+1 for Oset.So many advantages.

I am so desperately wishing for a deal on one or better, a used one. Found a few 16s this past fall but no 20s yet...

Cool thanks for all the suggestions guys. Looks like the XR100 may just fit the bill best! Hell I think even I could take it out for a little boot!

Now to find a way to transport this thing...same issue as us. Not much storage space for a trailer.

Cool thanks for all the suggestions guys. Looks like the XR100 may just fit the bill best! Hell I think even I could take it out for a little boot!

Now to find a way to transport this thing...same issue as us. Not much storage space for a trailer.
The xr should fit in the back of an suv/van. If it doesn't, you can always replace the front wheel with a small wheelbarrow type for transport, dramatically changes the height of the bike. I used to do this sometimes with my ktm so it would fit under my truck cap. Make sure you get a wheel that has nylon bushings instead of bearings so you can drill it out to the axle size.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

Last edited:
TTR125 - there are a few in kijiji around the 1k mark.

80cc two stroke dirt bike, and a trailer so you can get the 125 and ride with him
Umm, no. Probably around 95% of all kids are going to be scared away from dirtbikes if an 80 2t mx racer is the first bike they try. Something easy to learn on is what you want, like others have suggested any modern 4t 80cc up to 125cc is perfect.

ummm, yes....if the kids 13 and can't handle an 80 he should stick to video games

Last edited:
I learned on one of these:

DSC_0005-2.jpg

If he's 13 and never ridden a bike, a 2t is a bad idea. 4 strokes are much more forgiving. 2 strokes, not so much.

forgiving..... they're scary....

looks up, is this the Mom's forum? haha, guessing you boys had sheltered upbringings

forgiving..... they're scary....

looks up, is this the Mom's forum? haha, guessing you boys had sheltered upbringings
Not exactly. My first cr80 at 9, racing(trying lol) a kx250 at 13, had drz, ktm's, multiple Japanese 2t, been offroad all my life. When it came time to teach my kids to ride I wanted it to be as easy as possible so they'd actually enjoy it. Roosting a 2t anything into the trees, looping it out etc is no fun for a kid and not a great way to get them into it. Trail bikes are sold for a reason but I guess they're only for girls and mama's boys.

trail bikes are for old dudes....a 13 year old is (in his mind) indestructible, starting to be full of T
sure at first it'll be a **** show, so you get him some decent gear, take him somewhere where he can't
freeze up and blast into a tree, or falls off 6 times in a row in a wheelie launch...any decently athletic
13 year old will have it working in half a day, then continue to enjoy the bike that is more fun than a lawnmower

ummm, yes....if the kids 13 and can't handle an 80 he should stick to video games
I started at 11 on an 80 2 stroke and even at 13 I can tell you it is a handful of a bike and this was long time ago.

But sure, you are a SUPERSTARRRRR and we are all pussies lol

Last edited:
yeah you guys are right, teenagers are weak these days, even though the average 13 year old is 6 ft tall

best just get him this, but it can be scary and unforgiving, carpal tunnel syndrome is no fun so he must be supervised

attachment.php

Honda xr70 / crf70f (3spd auto) will fit in a Civic with the back seat cushion taken out. Gotta wiggle just a little bit but it does the trick. Use a tarp, and don't be afraid of a little dirt in the car. Not so sure about the legality of transporting in this manner, but it works.
I am pretty sure an xr100 / crf100f (5 spd) or a crf110 (4spd auto) would fit in a bigger wagon/ small van. Take measurements to be sure.

If the kid really enjoys it, think about getting a hitch and trailer.

Ogtk2m6.jpg

yeah you guys are right, teenagers are weak these days, even though the average 13 year old is 6 ft tall

best just get him this, but it can be scary and unforgiving, carpal tunnel syndrome is no fun so he must be supervised

attachment.php
Say what? My son is 13 with 150 kids in his grade. Not one is 6ft tall.
But we do live in Woodbridge and any 6ft Italian is rare but you get the point.

And I used to love that game. You must be old too if you are referencing IntelliVision ?

Sent from the Purple Zone

Say what? My son is 13 with 150 kids in his grade. Not one is 6ft tall.
But we do live in Woodbridge and any 6ft Italian is rare but you get the point.

And I used to love that game. You must be old too if you are referencing IntelliVision 

Sent from the Purple Zone

yeah I grew up in the GTA but then moved east to raise a family, semi-rural small town living,
the kids are freakin yuge in the sticks! I think it's all the growth hormone in the food

and yeah I'm an old dude, this be why I'm telling OP to get his kid a 2 stroke dirt bike,
was no other choice in the 70's early 80's, that and they're cheap

Back
Top Bottom