Small off-road bike recommendation? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Small off-road bike recommendation?

mimico_polak

Site Supporter
Hey guys,

Was talking with my cousin yesterday and he's thinking of getting a small dirt bike for his son (13yr old) and wanted some recommendation. I don't have a clue about these things, and couldn't tell him which way to even turn.

Some requirements:
- light weight
- easy to carry in car (i.e.: fit in wagon / back of van if possible - Mazda5 size)
- can carry adult for a short time (as I know cousin will take it for a rip)
- not sure if auto/man transmission

Have seen teens ripping through parks in the area on what looked like pit bikes (dirt) and that looked fun. But not sure what they were exactly.

I know money is always an issue so the cheaper the better. Typically his son gets bored with new things, so wouldn't want to spend too much for a start. Thanks!

They seem to grow kids really big these days, so I'd think something like a KLX140L, DRZ125L (the Ls stand for Large front wheel, these models without the L come with a smaller front wheel) or CRF150F/125F would work depending on his size. Maybe the next lower models if he's smaller? Sit him on a bunch in a dealership. Either way, these have very tame power, with lots of used models available. The alphabet soup of model names for offroad bikes can be confusing - the full out competition/MX models typically only have a single letter distinguishing them from the trail/casual models, but they are completely different bikes. Competition/MX models would probably not be a good idea for a first bike, regardless of their engine size.

Oh, and ripping through the parks is likely to attract a ticket or three. Legal riding areas are considerably further outside the city. Ganaraska or Simcoe, depending on what side of the city he's on.

edit: kids aren't my forte, so I'd defer to anyone recommending smaller models

Last edited:
80cc to 125cc 4 strokes, are great for learning. Not sure you'll fit anything decent into a Mazda 5 though. A Honda XR 80 won't fit in the back of my Xterra, and it's significantly bigger than a M5.

If the kid gets bored with new things this might not be the direction to go. I would suggest counselling unless you want to be feeding a STB type egomaniac going forward. Not blaming the kid, they don't have it easy today being brainwashed by the hyper marketing machine. Maybe spiritual centred type yoga to work the mind and body? If he's the bully type maybe get him into flower arranging? Once he's sorted out then, and only then, do you give him the dirt bike I would have killed for and cherished when I was his age.

My son would've fit an adult sized bike at age 13 and he's average size.
How big is this kid?

If the kids gets bored easily, motorcycles are a rather expensive way to try to find things to catch his interest.

If the kid gets bored with new things this might not be the direction to go. I would suggest counselling unless you want to be feeding a STB type egomaniac going forward. Not blaming the kid, they don't have it easy today being brainwashed by the hyper marketing machine. Maybe spiritual centred type yoga to work the mind and body? If he's the bully type maybe get him into flower arranging? Once he's sorted out then, and only then, do you give him the dirt bike I would have killed for and cherished when I was his age.

Amen

I agree 100% but not my kid, and his dad asked me to see what I could find out. The amount of money burned on his ‘hobbies’ or things to try has been staggering to say the least. I’m looking forward to him being bored of his GOPRO as I might try to buy it when he’s done using it (if he ever actually uses it).

Thanks for the suggestions guys, we’re all closest to SimcoeCounty Forests and it’s 10min drive from the cottage to some trails that I saw in that area (off Crossland Rd and Horseshoe Valley Road).

First like mentioned before a bike that fits him will not fit into the back of a car including a Mazda 5. Look into a hitch mounted carrier as it's easy to store unlike a trailer and will work good for this type of bike.

Honda
Looking a crf models with a designation of f after the engine size. You do not want a crf150r as it's a race bike where as a crf150f would be a good beginner bike.

Yamaha
TTR models. Wide range of sizes

Kawasaki
KLX models. Again quite of bit of choice in both physical size and engine.

Stay away from 2 stroke race bikes like cr85, yz80's, KX80's and KX100's. Awesome little bikes but the power is just too much for a beginner and hits way to hard, this bikes are intimidating and one of the harder bikes to ride.

Personally I would be looking at the Honda's or Yamaha's. If he does some research and buys a good used one right he should be able to sell it down the road for close to what he paid. I didn't really mention engine size because no 13 year old is the same,, best to hit up a couple dealers and see what fits him best as on most models physical size goes up with the engine.

Good luck! Dirt is my favorite type of riding

Make the kid buy his own.....

LoL that's a good one....in my limited experience with kids if it's not a video game /television in front of them...it doesn't exist.

@blackcamaro - I thought those hitch mounted bike carriers aren't great for sedans / smaller trucks? I'd be worried about the thing snapping of a hitch on those things...but I've zero experience with those.

@blackcamaro - I thought those hitch mounted bike carriers aren't great for sedans / smaller trucks? I'd be worried about the thing snapping of a hitch on those things...but I've zero experience with those.
I've had a hitch carrier for years. They are not made for small cars, but if the tongue weight will support it...

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

80cc to 125cc 4 strokes, are great for learning. Not sure you'll fit anything decent into a Mazda 5 though. A Honda XR 80 won't fit in the back of my Xterra, and it's significantly bigger than a M5.

That's good to know. I was actually searching awhile ago if a motorcycle will fit in an Xterra. I've seen many pictures of them in minivans and the Honda Element.

I've seen them on enough cars and small suv's with limited tow ratings like crv's and escapes. My gf used to use one on a older Jeep TJ with the small hitch that had a 1.25" receiver to haul her YZ125 around. I wouldn't worry about it much but yes obviously should check the tongue weight rating of whatever hitch.

OK thanks guys.

@BlackCamaro - thanks didn't think it'd be suitable for a smaller car but I guess dirt bikes are way lighter than normal bikes.

Also would this even be under consideration for the requirements listed? http://www.kijiji.ca/v-atv/city-of-...25cc-only-5-left-limited-time-ofer/1098915341

Or something similar: http://www.kijiji.ca/v-motorcycle-o...ke/1238285623?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

They look suitable but doubt they would support over 150lbs or more (cousin not kid).
Very few cars or small SUVs have more than 100-150 lbs tongue weight.

If I were to rock a hitch carrier, I'd feel most comfortable with a frame on body vehicle. Most of those are trucks and jeeps although there are some cars that fit the bill (ie. crown vic).

However you'd still probably want to make sure your suspension is up to snuff as that weight is cantilevered off the rear and OE rear suspension setups likely don't have the necessary flexibility in their spring weights and shock valving operating range to accommodate that extra weight back there, especially in dynamic situations.

I ran mine on a ram 1500 gas v8 then later a ram 2500 diesel. The 1500 "felt the bike back there" the 2500 did not. I personally wouldn't use one anymore as I now drive a honda odessey. I'm going to buy a small trailer instead.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

Oset 20 or 24 if budget allows - no brainer. No fuel to spill in the back of the car if you don't want to use a hitch, no gears to change, will work with an adult riding (not a fatso like me though), weighs nothing compared to any other bike, no seat so the kid needs to stand all the time - he will develop cat-like balance. Best thing is it's totally silent so running it around the local dog park or school yard is so easy; no sound, no smoke, no neighbours calling cops.

Back
Top Bottom