Anybody use lever guards for the street? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anybody use lever guards for the street?

stickman88

I just came across some lever guards and wondering if i should get them. Do some people use it for the streets? I mean i would see the purpose of it on a track bike but wondering if it would also be good protection for the street. In case if some of you guys don't know what i'm talking about, a picture is below. Use it for both brake side and clutch side or just brake side?

LighTechLeverGuardRed.jpg

As long as the quality is sufficient there is nothing wrong with that ....most adventure bikes have them and most adventure bikes spend the majority time on pavement.
Many bikes get dumped on slow speed or zero speed maneuvers and the guards save the levers. Can't say I've seen them on street machines tho.

If you are riding close enough to other vehicles to risk contact on the street, you've got other issues to deal with! Brush guards make sense if you are riding in the woods. On a pure street bike, I don't see the point. Some types might stop a lever from breaking if you have a tip over. Maybe. I never considered it.

Useless on anything but a full race bike. Unless you are going to mount wind deflectors on them like you can with bark busters. Would definitely mark you as a poser on the street.

As for preventing lever damage...maybe a very very small percentage, but they tend to break on a fall too.

I've never once touched anything while riding on the street to warrant the need for a lever guard. Racing they're mandatory. If you like them for looks go ahead, personally I'd find better ways to spend money and the guard you linked is one of the most expensive on the market.

For street only bikes ridden in deep winter, the support could enable the installation of a handlebar mitt / hippo hand

I think some people are confusing wrap around offroad style brush guards with the race track oriented lever guards the Op is asking about.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

same principle.

As for preventing lever damage...maybe a very very small percentage, but they tend to break on a fall too.

BarkBusters and Tusk are built very strongly unlike the plastic brush guards that come on some bikes.
They don't break on a fall ...they protect the lever very effectively.

Most drops are slow or zero speed and Tusks come without plastic deflectors ....just the heavy aluminum frame.
So useful for lever protection in that situation and of course with deflectors then there is some climate protection as well.

Coming off at speed on a street bike ....maybe some protection for a trapped hand or something but I would agree might break.

That guard the OP put up looks stylish but without the frame that the off-road guards have ...anchored at two points...don't see it working all that well except for a tip over.

The one posted is not meant to protect anything in a crash/tip over. It's only purpose is to prevent the accidental actuation of your brake during contact in a racing situation.

Last edited:
Slightly off topic...do the 'bark busters' or any other type of wind deflectors help much in the cooler temps? Have seen a few but no experience with any so some suggestions would be highly welcome. As for the ones posted, they look great but I've never seen them on a bike and wouldn't even know what they're for if it wasn't for 'dricked's explanation.

Slightly off topic...do the 'bark busters' or any other type of wind deflectors help much in the cooler temps? Have seen a few but no experience with any so some suggestions would be highly welcome. As for the ones posted, they look great but I've never seen them on a bike and wouldn't even know what they're for if it wasn't for 'dricked's explanation.
Yes they do, some better than others. For good wind protection check out "bark buster storm. They'll have one to fit your bike.

Yes they do, some better than others. For good wind protection check out "bark buster storm. They'll have one to fit your bike.

That's what I have on my bike as well...they sure make a difference.

If those are cheap you might cause more damage for yourself should you go down they snap and rip your hand apart.

No, not for the street, makes you look dumb or start with stickers and work your way up.

I've had Barkbusters on my Ninja. Barkbusters can definitely extend your riding season. Great for cooler temps and also rain. My original plan was use them in the cold and take them off for summer. But I they didn't look bad so I just left them on all year.
The best would be Barkbusters plus heated grips!

I've had Barkbusters on my Ninja. Barkbusters can definitely extend your riding season. Great for cooler temps and also rain. My original plan was use them in the cold and take them off for summer. But I they didn't look bad so I just left them on all year.
That's my setup. Bark busters and heat demon heated grips. I also have gears genx3 heated glove liners and velocity heated gloves. I don't like cold hands lol.

what the OP posted offers absolutely zero wind protection, the only acceptable responce to why would you have them on a street bike is "because racebike", if you like how they look go for it, its your $$

Wind deflection on it's own will extend your season a bit, but add in heated grips and it will extend a lot. I uses something similar to the bark buster style decades ago and it helped. My current bike I have wind deflectors attached to the fairings that do a great job of deflecting the wind to just the end of my bars, so the heated grips get used to full advantage.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom