Legal Will | GTAMotorcycle.com

Legal Will

inreb

Site Supporter
Gut check time. What's the deal with a cheapo Will out of Walmart kiosk? Any reason why I shouldn't use it?

the fine print will give all your assets to wal-mart

its a trap

how do you think they got so big

I'm not a lawyer but the way I see it is if you don't have much in assets it doesn't really matter what you use. If you have a lot of assets why save a bit of coin and leave a messy estate.

Also consider power of attorney for health and finances.

IMO if you own property you should use a lawyer. IIRC Auntie Kathy did a cash grab on estates recently.

Do not underestimate the greed of the vultures hovering about.

I mean, is it written in semi plain English and is it legally binding? If I indicate my very basic wishes can they be successfully thwarted by evil doers? I want my full legal $99 worth.

Great timing for this thread. With the kid due next week I actually started thinking about this now...fun times indeed!

Yes, a Walmart can be legally binding.
If you have any "real" assets it is probably worth your time to talk to an estate planner.

... but then screw it, when it hits the fan you will be long planted.

been on my to-do list for many years....

A free or cheap one is better than nothing, but if there are any quirks in what you want done, best to have a lawyer do it.

Watch out for the Hollywood stuff where the guy laying in a remote ditch next to his wrecked bike scrawls on a cigarette pack "I, being of sound mind and body leave everything to blah, blah, blah...........etc."

The guy is bashed to pieces with a concussion. He is not of sound mind and body. Scrap will.

The WalMart kiosk is AXXESS iirc. It's a no frills basic will and POA package for ~$200. There was a thread last year that had some great suggestions / advice. Following that thread, I looked into the place of which you speak. I decided to go with a lawyer that was recommended by a relative, as he wasn't that much more in terms of cost. Others that I looked at were around the $1k mark. Do you get what you pay for? I liken it to going to H&R Block for your taxes or a tax accountant. I would think that the more complex your situation the more specialized help you will require.
Also, you should consider leaving the Yammie or the Buell to me. #NotHopingYouDieButJustSaying

Sent from the Purple Zone

Excuse my ignorance. How does the will process work? I'm guessing the poa is in possession of the document? When the person deceases how is this document put into play? Is somebody going to go over it with a fine tooth comb to try to divert funds away from the intended?

Excuse my ignorance. How does the will process work? I'm guessing the poa is in possession of the document? When the person deceases how is this document put into play? Is somebody going to go over it with a fine tooth comb to try to divert funds away from the intended?

We will link your smartphone to your heartbeat and brain activity.
Your will will be kept in an online vault with a link to the service provider and family/friends of your choice.
When your phone does not detect a heartbeat and or brain activity for 1 day then an alert will be sent to you and designated members.
It no response from anyone then the next day (24 hours later) then the system will dispatch your will.

Problem solved...oh and there will be the mandated government delivery fee of 10% of the value within the will to each entity and another 10% charged to each entity receiving a benefit from your will.

You kids and your smart devices ha!

A walmart will works, BUT the "language" is constantly evolving. I would consult an attorney ( I think i paid $250, it was a bit complicated). And get it reviewed every decade at least.
POA you can download from the Gov.ca website and do for free, the POA may be more important than the will if you dont bite it for permanent, just get veggied.
Pick your executor wisely and remember unless you put some weird stuff in there, its pretty streamlined.

Lawyers dont keep copies of will anymore so make sure its findable, and current, and if more than one person gets it all , more than one copy around is good.

@ crankcall was hoping you'd chime in. Should be streamlined, basically giving the whole lot to one brother and he can liquidate and spread around as he chooses altho I would "suggest" he does it equal among all sibs, sorry Joe.

If the WalMart will and POA package is $200, go to a lawyer for almost as much.

Don't lawyers have a bad reputation? At Walmart you get a greeter.

@ crankcall was hoping you'd chime in. Should be streamlined, basically giving the whole lot to one brother and he can liquidate and spread around as he chooses altho I would "suggest" he does it equal among all sibs, sorry Joe.

Why would you not state that in your will instead of hoping someone does as you suggest? In a will, you tell the executor what you want done and it's stated in the will. The EXEC does the work as you wanted after you are toast.

Also, if you give it to one and then it's spread out...is there multiple levels of inheritance taxes instead of one?

Why would you not state that in your will instead of hoping someone does as you suggest? In a will, you tell the executor what you want done and it's stated in the will. The EXEC does the work as you wanted after you are toast.

Also, if you give it to one and then it's spread out...is there multiple levels of inheritance taxes instead of one?

I just want to keep the instructions/demands as simple as possible including the amount of time to do it in. Including keeping the document simple and open ended. Basically just building a wall against outsiders. The family will resolve the issue as they see fit. Hope that makes sense.

Back
Top Bottom