Request for opinions on core downtown parking & recommendations | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Request for opinions on core downtown parking & recommendations

Before I retired I was lucky in that I could walk to work. No parking problems.
However, walking from College to Bloor I would often see people trying to park on the streets in spaces that were too small for their cars.
They rarely hit other cars, but often hit motorcycles. Knocking them over and causing damage.
About 80% of the time, they just drove off.

Get an alarm lock so you can at least hear when someone is tampering with your bike. Parking a bike alone on the street is a bad idea. The number of people posting pics on here of their smashed bikes should be a warning. Years ago I used to park my bike on the sidewalk in downtown Montreal, or in any area where there was room that the cars weren't around. I figured a ticket beats a smashed bike. I still live by that rule today in some areas. When I go to shopping malls I park right up on the sidewalk near the entrance. In downtown Toronto towing vehicles is an industry so you have to be careful. A nice clean Ducati is also a big magnet for thieves.

Do you guys have any tips for choosing spots where there would be minimal risk?

That would be the spot next to your desk in the office...although work would like take issue with that one. lol

Personally, I wouldn't ride to work and park on the street. Too many variables, plus there was a guy last year who had his bike taken from work (I believe it was a Ducati as well), since they figured out the pattern, and knew when to sit and wait for it to show up. Really sucks, but it is the world we all live in.

I parked on the street downtown for over ten years without a problem.

Saw people leave their keys in the bike at least a half dozen times.

I wouldn't advise parking on the sidewalk in heavily traveled areas; someone walking by might get burnt by your muffler, and cause you a whole new level of headache, not to mention that most kids see things on the sidewalk as toys to be played upon.

If you get one of those alarm locks that goes on the wheel, then make sure you get something that reminds you to remove it before taking off.

Same her parked downtown a decade without any worries. Except the time a truck knocked the bike over. Good thing there were people there that knew it was mine and got in touch with me so I could get the ins. info of the truck driver. Don't park at the end of the bikes near to the loading area.

LOL!! I wish I could park my bike next to my desk...would get rid of all the wallpapers and just stare at my bike!.

When you say, his bike was taken from him...meaning a gun to the head and hand over the keys?!??!? Or was just stolen when no one was looking??

That would be the spot next to your desk in the office...although work would like take issue with that one. lol

Personally, I wouldn't ride to work and park on the street. Too many variables, plus there was a guy last year who had his bike taken from work (I believe it was a Ducati as well), since they figured out the pattern, and knew when to sit and wait for it to show up. Really sucks, but it is the world we all live in.

Possible to give an example of those wheel alarm locks?

I parked on the street downtown for over ten years without a problem.

Saw people leave their keys in the bike at least a half dozen times.

I wouldn't advise parking on the sidewalk in heavily traveled areas; someone walking by might get burnt by your muffler, and cause you a whole new level of headache, not to mention that most kids see things on the sidewalk as toys to be played upon.

If you get one of those alarm locks that goes on the wheel, then make sure you get something that reminds you to remove it before taking off.

Possible to give an example of those wheel alarm locks?

It's called a disc brake lock. Google will come up with tons. Some have alarms. Some don't.

Thx, I did Google and found a bunch. I think I'll start a thread on preventative measures that people use. How do people make their bike a high hanging fruit vs a low hanging fruit??
It's called a disc brake lock. Google will come up with tons. Some have alarms. Some don't.

Thx, I did Google and found a bunch. I think I'll start a thread on preventative measures that people use. How do people make their bike a high hanging fruit vs a low hanging fruit??
Probably no need for another thread. This topic has been beat to death. Use search. :)

Edit: I'm too late. Guess we'll beat it to death some more.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom