Request for opinions on core downtown parking & recommendations | GTAMotorcycle.com

Request for opinions on core downtown parking & recommendations

Aqueeb

Hey Guys,

I wanted people's opinion on parking their brand new Ducati's (or whichever bike is the love of their lives) in Toronto's downtown core street parking. I know it's supposed to be free but do people really risk their bikes being bumped into by other cars / bikes? Or am I just being paranoid?? :)

Do you guys have any tips for choosing spots where there would be minimal risk?

Also, if someone would point me to a safe parking environment for my bike around Front Street West and John Street, I'd be most grateful.

Thx,
Aqueeb.

Only certain spots are free, people are jerks, get insurance.

Even with ins., it's a pain if something happens. I don't worry about street parking, but it wasn't with an expensive new bike. ;)

Only certain spots are free, people are jerks, get insurance.
People ARE jerks.
I hate people.

OP don't be that guy that buys a Ferrari and doesn't leave it unattended because he's worried something may happen to it.
$#!+ happens. Like meme said, get insurance.
People back into bikes (accidently and on purpose )
People steal bikes
People are jerks
People are stupid

Also iirc correctly there was a thread last year that had some really good advice (unlike mine) about where to actually park, and possibly in the area you asked about.

Sent from the Purple Zone

Wow...of course I'll have insurance...is there some special kind of insurance that would cover me specifically for parking downtown? Thought my regular insurance would do that...but I will of course still worry, because
a. I'm in love with my bike :)
b. Insurance premiums would increase on renewal if I had a claim, correct?

Now obviously we can all plan and prepare as much as we can and STILL get dinged...but that doesn't mean we shouldn't right?

Btw, agreed Joe Bass and meme! Hence wanting to know if there is a way to minimize all of that (stolen, back into bike, key scratched my bike, etc.)

Nothing special. Ins. covers you if the bike gets stolen or damaged. To prevent it...don't park downtown....or in a condo garage. Or don't worry about and don't be in love with yer bike. Even if it's in sight all the time, it only take an instant for someone to knock it over while you are looking.

I used to park on Mercer, but that was 5+ years ago, and beside CBC 10 years ago.

Thx Baggsy, I'll have a look on my way in today. Now that you mention it, I do remember seeing a bike rack next to the CBC build, but I'm not sure if any motorbikes park there. Will have to see.
I used to park on Mercer, but that was 5+ years ago, and beside CBC 10 years ago.

When I still had my SV 7 yrs back I was parking on Mercer.
This past fall I was talking to a fellow CBCer / biker about the parking there and it still seems to be Ok.
There is a new condo going in now so a good portion of the street is now blocked... big chunk of what was the parking is now off limits.
I'm counting on parking there in the spring... fingers crossed.
I'm pretty sure there is no motorbike parking at CBC currently.

Your bike will be tapped by a car if i'ts the last bike in the row. It might be moved. It might be tipped over. Another ****** biker/scooter rider could squeeze into the space beside yours (when there's not enough) and scratch your bike (that has happened to me). You might also have ******* sitting on your bike.

In short, if you're hoping for somewhere safe to park...that'd be your garage only. and even then, subject to how clumsy you are. :p

Your bike won't be 'safe' anywhere, but you'll get used to that eventually..

Thx Baggsy, I'll have a look on my way in today. Now that you mention it, I do remember seeing a bike rack next to the CBC build, but I'm not sure if any motorbikes park there. Will have to see.

Motorcycles are not allowed on bike racks, mostly because those are located on side walks and motorcycles are not allowed on any sidewalk.

I parked downtown for a long time and never got an issue with my bike being touched, I do have an alarm with proximity sensor but that is for jerks that might want to sit on it.

You have a few choices if you are so paranoid, none of them are cheap.
- Get a parking spot in a building by your work
- Pay to park on a parking lot
- If there is a house close by, speak to the owners and see if you can rent a spot in their outside parking since your bike doesn't take up that much space.

I park my bike everyday (March to December), either on Simcoe between Adelaide and King (which is designated as motorcycle/scooter parking) or on Pearl St between Simcoe and Duncan. There are also random spots on Duncan just north of Adelaide. It's been kind to me. Worst I've had to deal with are people parking too close on the right hand side, preventing me from straightening the bike up. I usually cover my bike with an older cover as well. Keeps it nice and clean.

I'm pretty sure there is no motorbike parking at CBC currently.

Not sure if you mean nearby, or on the property, but I did find this interesting : when I went to pick a prize from the CHUM/CITY building, I was told that motorcycles were not allowed in their lot, and I had to park a block away and walk back.
Not to thread hijack, but I found it strange that given the lack of parking options that they would deter motorcyclists rather than embrace them.

Not sure if you mean nearby, or on the property,

I mean on the property. There was a brief time there when they allowed it... kind of.
The scooters were all lined up and people started putting there bikes there too but it got out of hand and they shut it down.

OP, your bike is more likely to get stolen from your condo, a parking lot, or your driveway, than it is to get knocked over downtown, (look at the posts, over time there seem to be about 10 stolen bike posts for every my bike got knocked over type of post).

That doesn't mean you shouldn't look for the safest possible spot. Try to avoid spots which you look at and think "that is a good spot because no one will try to squeeze in next to me". Rather look for spots with lots of surrounding space. If they have room to maneuver generally lowers the risk of them hitting it, if they have to squeeze in the higher the chances.

Good luck.

Parking downtown is always at a premium. If you find a spot with lots of space around you, it won't last. Best bet is to scout the area around where you want to park. See where all the other bikes are parking and add to the group. Best to be in the middle. Or if early, place your self in the middle of an open spot and bikes will park around you. Even the bike specific parking spots can be taken up by cars. I used to work on Yonge and parked a block away...usually. Occasionally would have to go a couple of blocks away to find a spot to squeeze into. So get used to the area around.

I park my bike on Temperance across from my office building, usually lots of bikes parked there (between Bay and Yonge)

I work downtown and Ive had two of my bikes hit while parked on the street (in a proper parking spot).

I still do it because what's the other option?

I tried parking on a side walk a few times but the ticket for that is $50 so if you dont do it often, worth the risk.

Insurance does pay out BUT when you love a bike and put so much time into it and the details, you dont wanna see it hit.

Piece of advice, if you see a full car length spot, park in the middle.

I used to go out of my way and squeeze my bike to a corner so i wouldnt take a whole spot btu after being hit twice, i just dont take the chance of people trying to squeeze next to my bike.

Thx for all the advice guys, MUCH appreciated.

Basically, let go a little of my bike, not unlike children going away for university :)

@Ashtonator, thx, I think I'll definitely do that...put the bike dead centre in a full car length spot.

What about working out a deal with the open parking lots that are around? Getting a bike in a spot where a car just couldn't possibly get in (I'm just thinking out loud here...I'll actually have to go and speak to someone), might not be a bad idea right?

Once again, thx for all the advice and opinions...all are welcome!

Thx for all the advice guys, MUCH appreciated.

Basically, let go a little of my bike, not unlike children going away for university :)

@Ashtonator, thx, I think I'll definitely do that...put the bike dead centre in a full car length spot.

What about working out a deal with the open parking lots that are around? Getting a bike in a spot where a car just couldn't possibly get in (I'm just thinking out loud here...I'll actually have to go and speak to someone), might not be a bad idea right?

Once again, thx for all the advice and opinions...all are welcome!

I used to get half price from the attendant at NE corner of Front/Spadina. We used to run out and pick up lunch for him occasionally. Not sure if he's still there.

The CBC area was closed down when they started building the new tower. 330 Front St. used to have bikes parked in the hashed area, but that stopped when they did some renovations back there. If you peek down the ramp from Blue Jays Way, you can see if they opened it back up. Like others have said, take a peek around where cars are parked now, or where bikes are parked when they get out. Park in spots where a car can't get in beside you, and then be ready for someone to park their bike right on top of yours, because they were in a hurry. Some of the undergrounds offered discount bike parking as well, but I never needed to use it.

Back
Top Bottom