racing set up advice | GTAMotorcycle.com

racing set up advice

mbroyda

hey guys / gals

so I signed up for race school / race licence test with SOAR on the Friday of round 1, and am pretty pumped, still unsure if i'm going to do the whole season, but the plan is to do the practice weekend and rounds 1 and 2 and go from there, I do need some advice regarding my set up tho.
Ideally i'd have a toy hauler with sleeping quarters, 4 piece bathroom, full kitchen, full garage, BBQ pit and in ground pool, with a staff to maintain it all but reality is not as such.
I have a 4x8 open trailer that I tow with a VW GTI, basic tools, rain tires on separate rims,stands, warmers, generator, tent, chairs, cooler, plan is to rent a motel for round 1, and possibly camp round 2 depending on weather (i'm not a fan of camping), this set up has gotten me thru track days in 2016 no problem, but most were mostly 1 days events.

question is what would you guys consider a bare bones set up for a race weekend? what are some of the things you cannot go without?

also any general advise about racing is always welcome.

Cheers

Max

Last edited:
A small folding table is a must and weighs little.

Sounds like you have the essentials and if you plan to get a motel for the first round that'll be perfect for you to see what everyone else has and what you'd like to bring to the next round.

I presume you have a canopy and a way to anchor it down (tends to be windy at Grand Bend). And you'll need a gas can.

I towed my bike on an open trailer behind a Jetta for years. Decades, in fact.

I am not sure what your basics tools include but make sure you have a GOOD tire pressure gauge.

Also Canadian Tire and others sell a temperature gun, great to check your tire temperature before a race, my first year I had a few crashes due to bad tire warmers and going on track with what seemed warm tires - some will say this is not a need to have but I don't go to the track without one.

Grand Bend temperature sucks - bring warm cloths, I have raced there while started to snow and hail.

I would book a hotel for rounds one, two, and 6, hotels book well in advance in there and the over night temperatures are cold. I know there are people that camp but i have suffered some bad nights there.

set the suspension sag front and rear.

have good tires, and as mentioned earlier, a good tire pressure gauge

lock wire and oil catching belly pan in place

be prepared to have fun

don't let the adrenaline rush of your first race have you riding over your head

Last edited:
I have folding table, temp gun, canopy, gas can, cheap tire pressure gauge (might be time to upgrade), safety wire, socket set, wrench set, allan key set, screw driver, pliers, as part of set up, picket up some GPA-PROs at the show, still need to adjust suspension.

thanks guys keep it coming please

Sounds like you've got most of the basic stuff covered. After the first round you'll have a list of things you should have brought for the next round ;)

No one has mentioned it, but it's nice to bring your spares with you just in case. I'm talking spare controls. Clip-ons and foot pegs.

Transponder.

what do you guys do in regards to a transponder, have your own or rent at the track? I understand that SOAR uses X2 and you have to get a yearly subscription for it?

I have a hard wired one that does not require subscription - Hard to find

Before getting this one I used to rent at Race.

Bring a quality radio that has the ability to tune into 89.3 fm, depending on where you pit you might not be able to hear the PA system.

As mentioned a couple times already, bring appropriate clothing to survive an Antarctic expedition. GBM wind and rain gets right into your bones.

Bring a quality radio that has the ability to tune into 89.3 fm, depending on where you pit you might not be able to hear the PA system.

As mentioned a couple times already, bring appropriate clothing to survive an Antarctic expedition. GBM wind and rain gets right into your bones.

damn everyone keeps mentioning the weather there, is it really that bad??

Doesn't matter if it's GBM or SMP racers complain that it's too hot or too cold. #goldielocks
lol - you haven't spent enough time at GB :)

I woke up one morning after sleeping in a tent with two sleeping bags to find my dogs water bowl frozen solid. It probably rained that whole day too.

Damn, I was hoping you were kidding lol, i'm not a big fan of camping in the best of conditions, bellow freezing would be out of the question for me.

how do you keep heat in the tires when its that cold?

Back
Top Bottom